main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Hasn't the Saga Been Concluded?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Garrett Atkins, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

:eek: :eek::eek:

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Yes, I'm listening to the soundtrack on SACD right now. :-B

3. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I think you are a fool.

The GFFA came to an end. No more stories to tell [by people who tell stories for a living] No more money to be made [by Movie companies that want to make money] What about all the literature and games? Have you posted threads saying that none of that makes any sense to you?

The point you are trying to make [in an obvious vacuum from reality] is ludicrous.

Feel free to not go see any new movies or read any books or play any games or... or anything that continues and has been continuing the "saga" for the last 30+ years.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Let's do this without name calling or personal attacks... thanks.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Sorry -- thought I was answering the question.

6. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    In the Council Chambers on Coruscant the Jedi Council were debating this very same question.

My only conclusion can be that the saga has returned.

The saga has returned?!

Impossible! The saga has been extinct for decades.

The Expanded Universe is threatened, if involved, new film makers are.

I do not believe the saga could have rebooted without us knowing.

Hard to see, the ambitions of film makers are. Discover the plot of these new films we must.

I sense all will be revealed in 2015.

These new films are with purpose. That much is clear and I agree that the Expanded Universe is the target.

With the Expanded Universe you must stay. Protect it.

We will use all our resources to unravel the rumours and discover the plot of these films. May the force be with you.

May the force be with you.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

Which is fine... just without commentary like "you are a fool". [face_peace]

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I agree with this post and I have something to add.

This new trilogy and the spin offs are being made for one reason only PROFIT don't for one moment think there are any artistic motives involved here.
    We are all adults and there is nothing wrong with profit.
    Now we here are Star Wars fans and if Episode 7 stinks their profit will go south fast.

Was the Saga complete with the six movies we have yes yes and yes no bones about it.
    Just look at this from the Blu Ray set.

[​IMG]

Now having said all that above if we can get a good story and a good movie I will be happy to help their profit by going to see the thing a couple of times and buying the Blu Ray Digital Download or whatever format we will be using at that stage.

The best way Disney can play Episode 7 is a new story and it is called Episode 7 because it happens after the events of the first six that formed the saga.

You want the Saga you watch Episodes 1-6 and if you want more there are new adventures tacked on I don't see the problem.

Edit as regards the Expanded Universe it does and should not count in the movies.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I hate to break it to you but Lucas did the PT for profit too. He said in a 2004 interview on Charlie Rose that Lucasfilm was struggling financially in the early 90's and the board members came to him and did a proposal of how much the company could make off a 3 movie Prequel Trilogy along with merchandise, home video, etc. He decided that it was worth it to invest the next 10 years of his life to make Lucasfilm essentially what it is today.

Trust me Disney & Lucas will come up with a new arc that will essentially sell a 9 movie box set the same way Lucas made up the Darth Vader arc to sell 1-6 as the OT story was never about that and always about Luke.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd say that profit is well-deserved.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A case could be made that "for profit" as a reason for making something, applies to the vast majority of creative works, even if it's not the sole motivation.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

13. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    :D

And guess what your 100% right.

If the 9 movie box set is good I might even buy it too.:D

14. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I feel like the saga's over for me if only because I don't see how they are, cinematically speaking, going to top the ending of ROTJ. Doesn't mean I won't be open to the new films changing my mind for me, but as it currently stands, I have really mixed feelings about new films.

But the idea that 'Star Wars is about the story of Anakin Skywalker' is pretty much a retcon by George Lucas. Just because Luke spends the OT acting in response to Vader, doesn't mean that Vader is the central character or that his story is anything more than a side aspect to Luke's story. That's what GL knew when he made the first trilogy, and then when he started thinking about the PT in earnest and was like 'yep, no, just six films, not nine' he probably coined the 'the saga is Anakin Skywalker' reading in response to that. It's literally whatever GL thought at the time.

Darth Loocas and janstett like this.
  15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars is a Space Opera... just as daily Soap Operas have a never ending story so does Star Wars!

16. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    When you get right down to it, the major issue here is that we're stuck in a paradigm where previous ground has to be retreaded. A hero (or main character) of a story can only go in two routes: up or down. The OT was about the rise of Luke, whereas the PT is about the fall of Anakin. The hero of the ST must either rise or fall, yet we've previously seen both scenarios pan out. THAT'S the major dilemma of the ST.

themetresgained and Darth Loocas like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    These films will be about everyone maintaining status quo.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Three films of living happily ever after, yes.

19. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013

20. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i difinitely agree with garrett ,it would destroy the legendary ending...SW must be what it is now.the circle is complete.i have no prob with tv shows or even CG movies,for instance i always thought making a CG trilogy of the old republic would be a good idea(thats just me)
    but vader & luke's story is complete & we have alot of new jedi order books...so im personally furious over ST.

21. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i love your technical analysis on this & i agree.
    like i said in another thread IMO these movies are not made for the sake of fans theyre just for the sake of their own money-making.
    lucas completed the story arc he wanted to tell.

plus was it disney's idea to make these or GLs?
    i havent read this whole thread so sorry if my questions are answered already.

22. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i dont think any of us have problems with other medias like games & litreture,specially being a gamer myself.
    but the movies are a different issue.
    ihope u get why the movies are different than games & books & comics because explaining why will take me a year typing...

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'll explain why if it helps.

24. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    well i think 99% of us know why,some ppl need explaining like this friend of ours,
    no ones against EU,but the saga, well we have prblems with wheter it should be continued.
    not liking ST doesnt mean we dont like games books & comics...

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I can explain why quite simply. The saga is higher canon.