main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Characters in Rebels, Who Will Show Up and Who Do You Want to See?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, May 21, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Thrawn would have chance to show up.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

It would not be Pokins if he was not fat...

Funny theory!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ugh. No Thrawn.

In a show that takes place after my man goes stupid and ends up in a life-support suit, I really don't want him upstaged by Scary Smurf.

Dra--- and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  4. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    There's a special kind of approval that a sub-TV-canon character needs to make an appearance viable, and I think some folks may be waaay off on the criteria.

Mara won't show up... at least not until we know that she's not being retconned out of existence with VII. They might not even call them Emperor's Hands. They'll continue acknowledging her in book canon, but they won't promote her to TV canon yet.

How many characters from EU comics and books showed up in TCW? I can't think of any. Quinlan Vos was personally retconned into TPM by Lucas, so he doesn't count. Also, the slavers arc was an adaptation, so it's not like that was expanding upon anything. Concepts made it into the show, like the Nightsisters, Black Sun, and the like, but never specific characters.

EU canon is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Either they leave somebody out and they're criticized for not acknowledging the existence of some character, or they put them in and are crucified for ruining that character's story. I'd think people would be much happier with the former.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Ventress, they also planned to let Durge show up.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  7. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Durge was created for the microseries. Did Ventress exist before the microseries?

Either way, Ventress was grandfathered into TCW by that.

Wait, you were just saying that, right? Not in reference to my question... because a piece of unused concept art != EU.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Both Durge and Ventress firstly showed up in the EU comic/books, then CW.

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Interesting. Didn't know she was in comics first.

According to Wookieepedia, Durge was created as a part of the "Clone Wars multimedia project," so even if he appeared before the microseries, he was still ultimately created for the microseries. If he and Ventress came on the scene at the same time, I'd imagine the same goes for her. Regardless, both were grandfathered in by their appearance in CW, so my point about TCW stands: no EU characters straight from the page to the show.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Also, TCW itself is EU as well, so the argument is invalid.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The Expanded Universe (or EU for short) encompasses every one of the officially licensed, fictional background of the Star Wars universe, outside of the six Star Wars films produced by George Lucas. It is derived from and includes most official Star Wars-related books, comic books, video games, spin-off films, television series, toys, and other media.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    sorry, but, source?

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    sorry, but, source?[/quote]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_Universe

TCW is EU as well, it just has a higher canon level (T).

15. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Apologies, Mr. Defensive J. Defensivesonberg, but you might re-read my original question:

Even if Durge and Ventress showed up in a comic first, if that comic was created as a part of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project, that means that it was a coordinated effort and it doesn't have the same significance as promoting a character created by an independent writer of a comic or novel without the eventual intent of use in a TV show. This is the point I was making, regarding the likelihood that book/comic-only characters would ever be promoted to T-canon.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    So, the argument is perfectly valid, and it's not even an argument, so chill. Restating my point so we can move on from this semantic bullcrap:

TCW is T-canon, and many posts here suggest that specific C-canon (or below) characters might show up in Rebels, thereby being promoted to T-canon. But has this ever happened?

EDIT: The closest thing might be the name Vizsla, but since it's an entire clan, it's on the borderline between groups or concepts (which, as stated, have been promoted from C to T on occasion), and an actual character. Plus, we all know this happened back when Dave Filoni was still fighting against George to retain continuity so as not to piss off the Mandalorian fans.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm not buying the idea that the Rebels team have to wait on VII to see if they can use Mara.

They're all part of the same umbrella. LFL/Disney. Whatever canon status Mara, Thrawn et al are going to have in the sequel trilogy, (if it has even been decided yet) the Rebels team should already know.

Toonimator likes this.
  19. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    That's probably only because it's quicker to get a comic from script to print than it is a cartoon, even one as short as the Microseries installments were...

EDIT: I agree that the crews of Rebels and VII SHOULD be on the same page... it'd be in the best interests of the the show to know a bit of what the plans are for VII, so they can avoid accidentally spoiling surprises, but include things that are okay to include (planets, a type of ship, an alien species, maybe a couple characters). But unless the show is set within a few years of ANH, I doubt Mara would be doing much if she even still 'exists' in the continuity of the show & films... she'd be a teenager by the time of ANH, close to Luke & Leia's age, so there's likely only a small window where she could be used effectively as any kind of Emperor's Hand agent unless Palpatine was sending her out on missions when she was as young or younger than Ahsoka (I don't really know offhand, I never cared for her Emperor's Hand backstory as much as many fans of hers did; I cared more about the smuggler & inevitable Luke love-interest that was carting Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber around with her for years, even when the writers were mishandling her)

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  20. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Ah, well OK, there you go. Very, very, VERY minimal C-canon usage.

I don't know how that could change. I know Filoni could decide to be the continuity advocate again, but by the end, Lucas seems to have indoctrinated Filoni as to the idea that you tell better stories without those restrictions. George's relationship with the EU was always shaky, and I think Filoni still has respect for the EU, but he'll show his respect by leaving it be... not by trying and failing to integrate it all into Rebels.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And remember TCW and Rebels are different. TCW is some independent project. Rebels are made partly for warm up for the new trilogy. It's highly possible for JJ to use EU characters in the new movies, just like what he did with his ST movies.

Also unlike the time of TCW, there were many characters who showed up in the PT movies(cameo roles mostly) to develop, especially the Jedi. In the Rebels if you don't go with EU, there are very limited characters to use, and they can't create that many original characters for either side

22. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    You guys forget, there is a plan now. Simon Kinberg is not only 1) Writing a Spin-off film, 2) Working as a consultant on the Ep VII story/script, but is 3) working on stories for SWRebels.

As for the defination of the "EU"....that's out of date. When the only "Spin-off films" were about Ewoks...then yes, the spin-offs were "EU". I'm pretty sure the Episodic Films, Spin-offs and shows like Rebels (and maybe the TCW because of George's direct envolvement) will all be considered Mainstream and not "Expanded Universe" material.

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I think they could totally create original characters; they do it all the time. I know it's hard to imagine what you haven't seen yet, but that's their whole job. Also, depending on the timeline, there are plenty of officers and pilots from the films on both sides who could show up.

But I don't really think Rebels is warmup for the new trilogy. I think that's the point... they can't be beholden to one another, and that's why they aren't doing a post-ROTJ fill-in series. It seems everybody thinks they all just pass their scripts around to each other, and once it's on paper it's done, but that is SO not the case; the continuity of VII is not finalized until JJ Abrams says "That's a wrap."

I think it's just the beginning of the new de rigueur media diversification plan for the franchise. If anything, it'll correlate with the spinoffs, due to Simon Kinberg's involvement.

EDIT: So, yes to what ^ said, but I disagree about the purpose of his consultation on VII... I'm fairly certain his consultation on the script is for his own benefit, regarding how to set the tone of the spinoff script. They've made JJ king, and I guarantee you the other entries into the franchise are not going to make the mistake of tying in too closely with whatever he's got planned.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They could, but not that many, they didn't create many important original characters in TCW, beside Ahsoka, most of them were still not in center of the main conflicts, just some bounty hunters(Cad Bane) or rulers of some neutral system. The main focus is still the Jedi, which the PT didn't have enough time to develop most of them, and to be honest TCW overall didn't do a good job on the villains.

In Rebels, beside a few officers/captains, the main figures are only Bail, Mon Mothma, Palpatine, Vader and Tarkin, that's far from enough for the main conflict and there are a lot of cool imperials in EU. I don't see them throw that away and create that many.

They didn't pick post RotJ because it was filled with EU and even the movie had not decided to deal with that era.

25. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    As awesome as Thrawn is there is no real tension unless you can kill him and i don't want him to be killed.