main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What role will Han Solo play in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Apr 18, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I'm only familiar with Navy ranks (my father was in the Coast Guard) and I find them much simpler than Army or Marine Corps ranks...and I still find the ranks in Star Wars really messed up. How the hell did Han go from Captain to General that quickly?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'd love to see Han in kabuki makeup.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Or he could be in the Khmer Rouge too. Not really his style, though.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I was thinking that Leia will use a bottle of aged Han to score with Lando. :)

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone else is dead.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I wonder this, too, but maybe it would be best to talk about Luke in a thread of his own? This one should be all about Han. :D

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, we know what happens to wine when it's aged. :)

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Thanks for taking my post seriously. :p

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He'll be the Admin for the JCC.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Unlimited Power!!! :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm still hoping for Han to be the Rooster Cogburn of Episode 7. Drunk for most of the movie, and perhaps even sport an eyepatch for the full effect.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    He'll be a legitimate member of the military with a family. He'll just not always obey orders and use his own methods. Think of captain Kirk if he actually got married and stayed with his family.

13. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Not really sure, i think both could work.

14. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Han Solo is one of the most iconic figures in the OT if not the whole Star Wars universe. He was at his best when he was a "scoundrel" and calling his own shots. Harrison Ford was concerned about the Han Solo role in RoTJ, that it was "uninteresting". What type of role will make Han Solo interesting in the new film(s) -- a General, an Admiral, a rebel?

15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Supporting character who is probably the father of a new lead, gets to be a bad ass for a little bit then dies some heroic death. Thats my prediction.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I would not be shocked at all if Han was the one to bite the bullet. I might cry a little (would be the first time I've ever cried at a movie since I was like six), so that goes to show it would be effective.

Trebor Sabreon and DarthRelaxus like this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Pretty much this.

One thing I will say, though - I hope they don't revert back to his carefree days of a smuggler. At this point, I think the character would be beyond that.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  18. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    I think they need to extactly go back to his carefree days as a smuggler, that is what made Han Solo so Legendary, We NEED THE SOLO WHO SHOOTS FIRST BACK at least for Episode 7.

JJ Abrams has not said much and any real news is very, very slow in forthcoming, and they are clearly going to guard this upcoming film with everything they got, but one thing that has been said is that Abrams is going to "attempt to bring back the magic that we all remember form Star Wars "A New Hope" that the Galaxy, the Feel of the movie and the characters themeselves and the look of the film will all take us to that place in May of 1977 when Motion Picture Filmmaking was changed forever and the greatest Film saga of all time was born....

If that can be taken Literal, then we should expect Captain Solo to be back in with his full Smuggler on !!!!

19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He should be a patch-eyed drunk who got kicked out of the Alliance. The Falcon has been sold to a corpulent Toydarian.

20. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    You called. At least that's what I think would feel right for him. I think Harrison Ford likes the idea of returning to the character one last time, but will not want to come back for a fifth movie.

Darth Claire likes this.
  21. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    You know what? I would like to see Han as the most "successful" and "respectable" of the OT Big Three. The great General Solo, on of the pivotal leaders of the post-Endor Alliance/New Republic Military. Someone that spent the next 15 to 20 post-RotJ years leading from the front. Obviously not some desk-bound bureaucrat.

Just like I can see Lando going into politics. Though I have a hard time seeing Luke as a Yoda or Mace Windu type sitting on the council. Kind of see Leia more that type. Far more then a politician like her mother (and not really the Supreme Chancellor). I see Luke as more of the guy who wanders, teaching Jedi. But also digging up old stuff on the Jedi and finding recruits. Basically the guy when the new Jedi have a question there masters can't answer they say "go seek out Master Luke".

22. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I think that Han will be a respectable, yet uncomfortable, almost-retired leader in whatever new configuration exists post-Empire. I also see him (along with the other OT characters) getting pulled into "action" through the good and/or sinister deeds of the new generation. I think that he will die a noble death, which is what Harrison Ford wanted for ROTJ. I also see him as being one of the few people who will be able to talk trash to the revered Luke Skywalker.

23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I could see that. Obviously some threat would have to bring them all together again, but as a starting point, yeah, I think it works.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001

There is way more to the character than that, though. He doesn't need to be a smuggler to be 'the Solo that shoots first.' That is just one of many qualities that make the character so great. A reversion at this point in time would be steamrolling over any kind of character development that we had up until now. Not to mention, it would be rather boring. That's not the seeds of an interesting character - that's catering to the audience to get a cheap thrill and I'd rather not see that.

What he needs back is his wit and his sense of adventure, both of which seemed to be rather absent by the time ROTJ rolled around. This is a new chapter in the character's life and I would want his role in Episode VII to reflect that. Time moves forward - it should be no different for Han. The only way that I could see him becoming that loner once more is if he took a major loss and he is struggling to cope with that. Or, of course, he could be suffering through a mid-life crisis, which I also have no interest in seeing.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Whatever roll he has, I want to see Han at his finest, the sarcastic smartass and iconic badass that I crushed on as a tween and teenager. He won't be a smuggler anymore, he may very well be the father of the new lead, and seeing him as a parent could be awesome. "Look kid, I brought you into this world, I can take you out." "Sure, you can fly the Falcon--over my dead body."

Settled down!Han should still be Han.

HanSolo29 likes this.