main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

It will happen.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    TCW has one big disadvantage for me and that is that it failed to have the alleged tie-in to Episode 3. That means that the micro series second volume and the LOE novel are the actual tie in for me. TCW have filler stories that show the war and of course Asohka. Unless, Rebels bridges the gap or Filoni decides to give Dark Horse the scripts that they were going to do, or if Marvel gets the license and decides to do the scripts that Filoni could not do in animation. TCW is going to be somewhat of a failure for me.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably would have, if the show didn't get cancelled

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Or if the show hadn't wasted so much of its time..

5. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Watched Micro for the first time tonight. Not going to lie, I enjoyed it more than TCW. Seemed more adult to me. I wish there would of been more episodes. A shame we only got a couple hours of content.

AusStig, Lady_Skywalker87 and vong333 like this.
  6. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    One of my biggest problems with the show. So many wasted episodes. The Droid arc made me sick.

7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Probably it would have if the show did not derail on these aimless and pointless and "stupid on max" stories about cakes, corruption, Hutts, Maul returning and so on.
    There are a quite a few episodes and storylines that could have been cut out and forgotten in favor of stories that are about Episode 3 stuff, are referencing Episode 3 stuff, are about Episode 3 characters and building those characters.

I go back to my daily grinding issue - The Separatists.

This show could have given us a risen why it was so important for Anakin to go to Mustafar and kill them all. Show them how they can be a threat if not dealth with... what do we do. Introduce Poggle the Lesser into the show and forget that the rest of the villains of the Council even exist and then have have Poggle and Tambor get bored in prison for THREE SEASONS.

I am sorry, but I love the show and I love many, mane of the episodes... but when I get back and see that we have story arc of more than 3 episodes about a purple Hutt with the voice of Truman Capote... and I see that we have had several banking issues and not a peep or coin from the master of coin himself San Hill... well..........well..... well.... I get a little... and many times, VERY MAD.

Sure, the show gave us a look into the mind of the clones and it will do so soon again.

TCW had 108 of 22 minutes each - do the math - while the old show had the time of an arc and, to be fair, the old show conveyed the message of "Intergalactic war" and "Chaos" better than the new show. The old one got to the point.

As much as I love the arc, this is the only arc out of 108 episodes to give us by chance (it was not even considered at first) a Republic Commando. A show about this war and only commando story. That was kinda worth the arc... and it did more than, let's say, the Mon Calamari arc or the Onderon arc - two arcs that were basically the same story about turmoil on a planet with a king.
    The Mon Calamari arc - wasted. Dac with a King was the dumbest thing after not having Tikkes on the planet in that arc. The old show conveyed an underwater battle better. The old one from 2003 felt more like what a battle under the sea should feel like.

Don't get me started on the Maul story - something that should have never happened since we have our big bads to deal with and build for ROTS. Not this reddish freak with horns. Sorry... I love Maul, but he had his chance.

I can go on and on and on and on about this, but it is aimless. Point is, the 2008 Clone Wars wasted too much time.

vong333 likes this.
  8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I was a big supported of the Droid arc, but in light of the cancellation of the show..........I deplore it. It was a waste of an arc. In fact, as I look at the series, there were episodes that should not have been done. They should have ended the Mother Talzoin stuff, finished off the Darth Maul, and then worked on the tie in to episode 3. Sometimes too much of one thing is bad.

cwustudent likes this.
  9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

So did the droid arc actually make you physically sick then? :p

To be fair on the team it was Lucas who told them to keep on making the show. I don't think Lucas thought Disney would cancel TCW... He probably didn't think that show was in any danger considering how successful it was. And they were working up to a conclusion with it being revealed that they thought there would be 8 seasons in total. So an ending was planned.

10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    You brought up an interesting point. If you don't mind, I'd like to reply to this in another thread.

But in order to stay relevant, I immensely enjoy watching Anakin's journey through CW. Sometimes I skip everything, except Ventress meeting Dooku due to relevance, and watch only the parts that concern Anakin. Its difficult to FFW thru the Coruscant battle, but I think its worthwhile, as I dislike CW-Grievous.

11. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    Haha to TCW defense, maybe the next seasons were going to tie in more stuff, but still like we have talked about, so much wasted episodes. A lot of episodes didn't even feel like Star Wars to me.

12. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Which ones?

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You have me thinking about a fundamental aspect of the franchise that we probably can't ignore; that Star Wars has clearly transcended the vision of its creator. Just from reading and hearing the opinions and ideas of the hundreds of fans in the JCF, we realize that we all have fairly different opinions on what Star Wars is to us. That also holds true to GL as well, as he was the one who gave the ideas for the stories not only of the films, but TCW. So Lucas (and by extension, Filoni and the writers) seem to have a distinct vision of SW that often clashes with what we as fans envision. This is definitely true of the droid arc, heavily scorned by the majority of fans, as well as numerous other controversial arcs that have split the fanbase, such as Mortis and all of the Maul stories, not to mention many plotlines that contradict established C-canon. I am certainly not defending any of these decisions, but I can understand where they came from. After all the backlash over time, perhaps Lucas came to the conclusion that he should leave the franchise and entrust it to Kennedy and Iger. But this is a topic best suited to another forum, so I will end it at that.

The point I am trying to make is, ultimately what feels like Star Wars to one person might not feel so much to another. That's the beauty of the franchise's stories, that they are so vast and all-encompassing, with media ranging from films, television, books, comics, and videogames, that you cannot easily categorize everything that makes Star Wars "Star Wars". No matter my own opinion of a particular story, I appreciate it for what it is, an extension of the SW universe we fans all know and love.

Dash Rendar's Galaxy likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In the micro-series, Sidious looked and sounded like a typical cartoon villain. In TCW, he looked and sounded like his movie self.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That probably was the point :p

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why would they want Sidious to look and sound like a typical cartoon villain anywhere?

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    He wasn't used that much in CW, but I think he was portrayed well.

I liked him lecturing Grievous. "How dare you try to attack me. What would your master think?"

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree that CW got Sidious's personality right.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    Well said

Circular_Logic likes this.
  20. Theron Solo

Oct 31, 2012
    Well the Droid Arc, the Mortis arc, I know people have mixed opinions on this but i'm not a fan. The Senate Murders episode. Star Wars is not law and order. Those are some of the arcs that come to mind.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Delta289

Delta289 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013
    Okay, I will admit that the Miniseries alone doesn't have some of the stuff that TCW has. however, If you pare the miniseries up with all of the comics, books, novels, and video games published before 2008, you get an over all better representation of the clone wars than TCW alone will never come close to. I was disappointed that the republic wins almost every battle, they didn't even give small references to the miniseries or comics, they completely disregarded Quinlan Vos's undercover missions, Grievous doesn't have as many fight scenes as one would like, Changed the date of Anakin's knighting from 19BBY to immediately after Geonosis which is completely insane given his behavior in AOTC, changed Ventress's species, portrayed the Mandalorians as peaceful and weak and instead of allowing Alpha-theta 2 Spaar (aka Mandalore the Resurrector) to come in and take over Mandalore like he did in previously established sources they had maul do it instead, they needlessly resurrected Maul, and lastly where the hell is Durge? Cad Bane sucks compared to Durge, the worst he's ever done was steal babies, Durge nearly crushed Obi-wan's skull in with his boot heel on Ohma D'unn and nearly wiped out the Gungan species. I guess my main point is, The clone war is portrayed more violently in previous sources than in TCW. Personally when I watched TCW (I didn't finish season five because i just couldn't watch them throw everything i once knew about the war out the window anymore) the galaxy didn't feel like it was in as much turmoil and political upheaval as it was portrayed in all of TCW's predecessors. Hopefully Leeland Chee will set everything right and find a way to integrate everything.

But for now SW:CW > TCW all the way!

AusStig likes this.
  22. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    The clone wars is better frankly put the action sequences aren't over powered bs and windu isn't punching any robots the droid arc was better then any of that samurai jack crap

InterestingLurker and cwustudent like this.
  23. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't know if the droid arc is worthy enough to be compared to Samurai Jack's crap.. Maybe it could scrub his toilet?

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The Gascon arc must be watched by everyone who wants to make SW on the screen. It will serve as a warning that, yes, you can go horribly, horribly wrong.

As for the other droid episodes, namely Evil Plans, Mercy Mission and Nomad Droids, I enjoyed them. C-3PO and R2 make a great comical duo, and all three of those episodes worked for me. They serve as nice, lighter episodes, and were an homage of sorts to Droids.

Thing is, 3PO and R2 are funny. Jar Jar? Gascon? WAC-47? Not so much. I think there's a correlation between the amount of slapstick used and the amount of times I headbutt a table. Slapstick doesn't work in SW. 3PO and R2 are funny by virtue of their interactions and their dialogue (even if one does only speak in bleeps and bloops). For the other three characters, their comedy is supposed to come from them messing things up in HILARIOUS ways. No thanks. I'm not five years old, and by looking at something like Umbara, that's not your demographic either.

25. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    I enjoyed them, too. It is interesting to see Anakin and Padme being domestic. But its also boring. A little less math, a little more excitement, please.
    Jar Jar is annoying, because he never grew as a character. By the end of TPM, I wish he'd gotten a little smarter and not such a coward. Thankfully, Jar Jar was not in CW.