main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does Yoda talk backwards to the extreme in the Prequels, but not in the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jun 6, 2013.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I was watching Empire Strikes Back today and realized Yoda's vocabulary is horrible in the newer movies. In the OT, he comes across as a wise old master, but in the prequels it's almost as if it's for comedic purposes. (Example: Not if anything to say about it..... I have). How could Lucas screw this one up?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In ESB, he switches back and forth. Many of his sentences follow normal syntax.

(in response to "I'm not afraid") "You will be."
    When Luke wants to leave "You must not go"
    and there's "If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil"

And so on.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think some of those sentences are really not plausible to pull off in Yoda-speak, so perhaps there is some of that going into the decision?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in RoTJ, there's more conventional phrasing from him, especially when being metaphorical. "Twilight is upon me, and soon, night must fall. That is the way of things. The way of the force."

5. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003

If it had been Episode III, It woulda sounded like:

"Will be you."

"Go you must not."

"An agent of evil you will become, if your training you end now, quick and easy path you choose, as did Vader."

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I would have "yoda-ified" the last one as:

"If end you, your training now, if choose you, the quick and easy path, an agent of evil you will become".

But the point is sound. Some phrases just work better with normal syntax, some can sound good Yoda-style.

"If you start down the dark path once, it will dominate your destiny forever- it will consume you" - seems a little flat.

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How is it a screw up? And where exactly is the comedy on those setences?

Yoda talking like Yoda? The horror...

8. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    My point is Yoda talked fairly normal in the OT and that was him in the minds of people for 20+ years until the prequels came out. Then Lucas took something minimal and degenerated it to a ridiculously cheesy level. I saw Episodes 2 & 3 opening day and people were laughing in the theatre at it. I am sure that never happened with the OT!

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh look, someone pointing out an incredibly minor reason to justify their hatred of the prequel trilogy.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    it definitely became more exaggerated

ThatsNoPloKoon likes this.
  11. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Oh I can also point out a number of major reasons....

kubricklynch and powersRweak like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I was watching TESB the other night and GL was talking about how worried he was at the time he introduced Yoda that he'd be perceived as too comical. I think Yoda and Sidious are both 'less is more' characters. A little bit of backwards Yoda speak goes a long way. As someone has already said, it works well for some sentences, others not.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Lady_Misty like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Around the survivors a perimeter create" is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious.

14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I never really thought about this, interesting.

15. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I like Yoda-speak in general, but some lines in the saga didn't work too well.

16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It works when it is subtle, a quirk of syntax. You're meant to think that it's because of his extreme age, he comes from a time from so long ago that language has evolved around him.

It doesn't work when Lucas hits you over the head with it like a hammer.

janstett and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    He only speaks a few lines in ESB with the 'backwards syntax' but it seemed to get excessive in ROTJ and then really excessive in the PT. Maybe the more you CGI a character, the more they speak 'backwards'? :p

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I don't think All of his speech in the PT was backwards-speak though.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The only book he had with him on Dagobah was a grammar book.
    Sitting there for 20 years, he had quite a bit of time to learn to speak properly.

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    It wasn't.

I checked all of his dialog on IMDB and while his speech patterns are a hot-mess, he does have plenty of normal sounding lines.

Yoda Quotes:
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000015/quotes

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    interesting this thread is

this thread is interesting

interesting thread this is

which one of the above would Yoda say? :p

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think the PT generally does a good job with Yoda's lines. Sometimes it sounds better to me in "backwards speech" than "normal" speech. For example, I really like this line:

"Clouded this boy's future is."

I don't think it would have the same impact if Yoda simply said "This boy's future is clouded."

However, lines like "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering." work best in normal speech.

It's the same with AOTC and ROTS. Yoda's conversation with Anakin is, I think, a good example of where the two styles work well together:

YODA: Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.

ANAKIN: I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda.

YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.

ANAKIN: What must I do, Master Yoda?

YODA: Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The first one :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Or he had a relatively brief period of "syntax clarity" during the ESB time period. :p

In general, though, I agree with PiettsHat on this. A lot of the time, Yoda's unusual patterns sound better for the lines they're delivering.

25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Oh my God! Really?? What is this? Another excuse for PT bashing? Yoda's speech pattern?:rolleyes: