main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Have Luke Die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by EviL_eLF, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Two instances is hardly much of a 'tradition'...

...and it's a really, really stupid 'tradition'. Obi-Wan died because that was the ONLY movie and George didn't know what to do with him for the rest of it--not thinking "if I DO get more of these, I can have Obi-Wan teach Luke more to help him become a Jedi Knight", thus necessitating the invention of Yoda.

Qui-Gon died because... well, because he was expendable. He didn't need to be in the film in the first place. He was a completely new character, going against what we THOUGHT we knew from the originals--THIS is the guy who trained Obi-Wan, not Yoda, THIS is the guy who discovered Anakin, not Obi-Wan. And for awhile in Episode I's preproduction, Qui-Gon wasn't even the senior Jedi...Obi-Wan was, Qui-Gon was the apprentice--tho still expendable. I really hope Arndt & JJ don't just go with what a lot of fans--probably ESPECIALLY casual fans--"expect" when it comes to stuff like this... "Well, Qui-Gon died in I, Obi-Wan died in IV, so Luke dies in VII". It's lazy thinking. I liked the way Star Trek Into Darkness turned out, but I still think it was lazy thinking to put Khan in the movie at all, because it's what pretty much EVERYONE expected, and MANY of those expectations were based solely on the fact that it was the second NuTrek movie, so of course many thought it'd have to live up to AND mirror the second original Trek movie.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    By SNU-SNU!

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree with you, Toon; stupid tradition. I, personally, would have liked to see Yoda as Obi-Wan's Master, and Qui-Gon takes on the Mace Windu role of the PT, not dying until the very end. Mace would be a tertiary role, somewhere between Qui-Gon and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Qui-Gon's team to take out Palpatine would include Mace, instead of Mace leading it. Mace and Qui-Gon would've survived Palpatine's initial onslaught and Mace would've been killed, and Anakin would have been forced to strike down Qui-Gon. This would be a difficult thing for him to do, because a friendship would have been established between them throughout the films. This (instead of the blatant and unnecessary Youngling murder) would have been Anakin's final "test."

And no to Luke dying in VII as well. If he's going to die, save it for Episode IX. In fact, leave him alive, and kill off Han. Just IMO.

4. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    But I thought you hated Mara Jade?

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

*shrugs* Who said it would be with her?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    he says confidentely

"I have a good feeling about this"

then meets his demise,

how I don't really know

he trips over a wire and lands head first on Artoo or something.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He dies like a Southerner. Whereas people from other parts of the country are known to have "Oh ****" as last words--We have, "Hey, dude, watch this!"

IOW, Luke tried to bulls-eye a womp rat that was much smaller than two meters.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Boy, you said it, Toon! I know SW traditionally works in rhymes. It's one of the things I love about the way George Lucas approached the films and I hope to see it continued, at least in the "Episodes."

That said, I really believe Luke Skywalker is a character of a status who deserves to not have the decision of his fate become a slave to tradition. However it will ultimately be written, Luke has earned a destiny of his own. To tell you the truth, my most fervent hope is that whatever happens with the character of Luke Skywalker, it is born of the personal vision of George Lucas, and nobody else.

Interesting thoughts on Qui-Gon, Revan. I'm not sure I'm with you on changing Mace's character in such a way, but I do like the idea that Obi-Wan's master is Yoda and Qui-Gon representing Anakin's final test.

Mostly though, I wanted to quote you about keeping Luke and sacrificing Han. Though it would be hard to see Solo go, everybody is aware of Harrison Ford's previous comments on the matter and I think his passing would carry just as much emotional weight and work to as fine as a dramatic effect as Luke's would. I believe that if any OT characters must go, this is the best avenue to explore.

Another thought we don't hear much about would be doing the unexpected by showing us Leia's demise. This would certainly be much less obvious than having Luke sacrifice himself in Episode VII.

9. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

Fixed it for you...

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I would have him die by having a Ewok, a Chipmunk, a Squirrel and Jar Jar Binks attack him

11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Ok, that ironic take just seems cool as hell!

12. feltak

feltak Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2005
    No matter how he was to die, he would have to become a Blue Glowy for his Son.

JainaSoloYJK and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He sacrifices himself for Ahsoka. His dying words, "It is an honor to die for the greatest of all the Jedi, past, present, or future." Ahsoka replies, "Skyguy would be proud!" ;)

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is just wrong. :p

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "I miss him, too, Artooie".

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
  17. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    If he his killed in Episode VII (which I don't think he will be) it has to be by some one we least expect....Han Solo, worried by Luke's continued struggle to bring balance to the Force and his fading towards the Dark Side I could see him being able to get close enough to Luke to let his guard down long enough to kill him.

I can't see Luke sacrificing himself for the lives of others because by VII he'd just be to powerful for any one enemy.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would like to officially object to shutting down this thread (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ker-be-dead-by-the-time-ep-vii-ends.50012780/) for a Poll if Skywalker will make it out of Ep. 7 because it is supposed to be a poll, not how or why or who or what. The links the mod provided the the alternate threads, unfortunately, does not have a poll and cannot fulfill the need of the question I am asking.

Polls and discussion threads. Happily, there is a difference. But now we will never, ever know what people think will happen based on pure numeric voting.

It is a very sad day for democracy and freedom of choice.

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Democracy and freedom of choice have never been protected on privately owned and operated boards. You choose to post on said boards, you have to follow the rules set forth by those running said boards.

You want freedom and democracy, go stand a soap box on a street corner... ;)

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    @};- :(

RIP Arbitrary Numbers: June 6, 2013-June 6, 2013

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    We hardly knew Ye...

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, but then you're talking about the philosophical idea of what exactly a message board is? Can not democracy flourish in an environment whenin ideas and, more importantly, polling numbers can be viewed? Is a message board nothing but a mini-democracy exchanged across the magic of internets and satellites and computer wires? The authoritarian bent kind of defeats the purpose of a free exchange of ideas. VIVA LA POLLS! And so forth.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    We are attempting to get everyone who is already here and knows better settled into pulling in the same direction regarding the TOS, redundant topics, etc... before the others all inevitably arrive. Sorry, but in this warzone, bandwidth is more precious than democracy. :p

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Actually it's very simple what a message board is. It's proprietary software running on a proprietary server. Owner of said server paid for and loaded said software and are kind enough to allow those of us who haven't paid a cent towards it to sign up and exchange opinion.

Democracy does not exist on messageboards.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Excellent answer, citizen. Extra porridge and bread crusts after your shift in the mines is over this evening.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.