main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Should there be Mandalorians in the ST? Not talking Boba Fett, now, because I know a lot of people don't like the idea of him surviving (personally, I find it totally feasible and even as a kid, before I even read any EU, I didn't think he was dead). But should there be Mandalorians? Whether working for the villains as hired guns, or as a neutral third party that starts out working for one side, and then switches to the other due to one event or another, what do you think? Personally, I do think there should be some Mandos, because I'm a big Mandalorian fan. What do you guys think?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    As long as they're not pacifists led by a tree hugging, naively idealistic, politically illiterate harpy who stomps on traditions of her own people.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've never been a huge fan of the Mandalorians to be honest. I like it better if Jango and Boba Fett are just two bounty hunters and not part of some warrior culture. So no I don't think the Mandalorians should be part of the new trilogy.

LunarMoth likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I should have been more specific. I totally agree with you. I hate what TCW did to the Mandalorians (except in Season 5; they were pretty much redeemed then). If the Mandos are to appear in the ST, they need to be the warrior-clans like in KT's novels, not the tree-huggers of TCW.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mandalorians (at least the KotoR games variety) are almost a perfect villainous faction. If they hooked up with a Sith or two I could totally see them working.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The funny thing is, while KOTOR 1 had them as villains, KOTOR 2 had you working with the Mandalorians to defeat Darth Nihilus for a large portion of the game; assuming you went to Dxun second, then you were working side-by-side with Mandalore himself, and gaining Mandalorian allies, throughout Dantooine, Nar Shaddaa (if you returned to these two to gather the clans there), Korriban, the return to Dxun and Onderon, and then at Telos the Mandos actually boarded the Ravager in a scene reminiscent of the Tantive IV boarding scene from ANH. So, they could be either allies or enemies. And in TOR, they work for the Sith Empire, as well, but a great number of Mandalorians think "working for the Sith again is a bad idea." The others didn't care as long as they were getting paid.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I played KotoR II like a billion times and while you work with the Mandalorians it is still pretty clear how bad they would be as rulers of the galaxy. Especially under Canderous' iron fist. They are still a culture that invaded the galaxy and slaughtered billions just to prove how tough they are. I vividly recall one of Canderous tales about invading with war basilisks and slaughtering civilians because the Republic used them as living meat shields.

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The pacifistic Mandalorians were a great addition to the universe and I hope they appear in some form in the ST. That said, I also hope we see the militaristic Mandalorians such as the Death Watch and not the Traviss-Mandalorians or Klingon-ripoff Mandalorians I've read a lot about in the EU.

Gamiel and cwustudent like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The thing is the pacifist Mandalorians were wiped out completely and utterly, and joined Pre Vizsla's Death Watch or Bo-Katan's splinter faction (which is what I like, not Vizsla). I see nothing wrong with KT's Mandos and that's what I would want to see, but I also would not mind a continuation of Bo's faction. Those guys were pretty awesome.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What you are saying is you want the KotoR Mandos.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The pacifist Mandalorians were a very stupid decision.
    Every single piece of material ever pointed to Mandalorians being a warrior culture. Even those silly visual dictionaries did it when talking about Boba Fett's underwear or whatever.
    And when we finally got to see them on the screen they're pacifists? Hated that decision and hated Satine since day one.
    Her death was I think the only time when I watched anything and was actually honestly glad that a "good" character died.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I found them an interesting deviation after all the blood and honor stuff. But I think for the ST the most bloodthirsty and brutal version of the culture would work best.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    And no one ever said they'd want the Mandalorians to rule the galaxy. That would be a baaaaaaad idea (though it would wipe out some idiot politicians like Borsk Fey'lya). :p

As to the slaughtering billions, that is/was because the Mandalore during that time (before Canderous) was being brainwashed by the Sith. Under normal circumstances, Mandalorians would kill soldiers only, not innocents, but since Mandalore ordered them to go through innocents, they did. Here's a quote from Canderous.

"I've killed many people. I can't say I'm proud of it, but I have. Criminals, competitors, businessmen, police... women, children."

He knew something was funky with it, he just didn't argue because Mandalore was in charge. And I'm pretty sure he was ticked when he found out that Mandalore had been a puppet. So I don't think we have to worry about the Mandos doing child-slaughter any time soon. In fact, this is basically what split the Mandos between Death Watch and the True Mandalorians. Jaster Mereel wanted to be honorable soldiers-for-hire, but Vizsla wanted to return to their roots under Mandalore the Ultimate (not knowing MtU was a puppet).

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The EU (more notably, the Traviss novels) have left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the Mandalorians. The author wrote them as these superhuman beings that could do no wrong and really, it got very old and quite sickening very fast. I'm also aware that that was only one person's interpretation of the Mandalorians and I'm willing to give them a pass. If the ST writers can find a way to make them work, then I'm all for it. As long as we don't get the, "Mandos are perfect and know everything and everyone else is wrong or stupid" bit (LotF, I'm looking at you!), then I'm fine.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    This is confusing to me, really. She never depicted them as unable to do wrong. Superhuman, sometimes ridiculously so, maybe, but not unable to do wrong. The Mandalorians' opinion is "everyone else is wrong or stupid." Same way Jedi think the Sith and Mandalorians are wrong, or Sith think the Jedi and Mandalorians are wrong. And KT didn't depicted them as unable to do wrong. If I listed the things Kal Skirata did wrong in the RepCom books (whether he did it for love or not) it would take me a really long time. But I'll just leave it with this: he didn't tell his adopted son that his girlfriend was going to have a baby until the baby was already months old. How is that unable-to-do-wrong? Oh, they did wrong. For the right reasons, sure, but "two wrongs don't make a right." They're certainly not perfect characters.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yet they all went along with it and when you hear Canderous talk about it in the first game it seems to give him a murdergasm. They thoroughly enjoyed slaughtering those who are weaker than themselves and that makes them good villains. Just listen what he says about the Enchani. He is full of contempt for these "weaker warriors".

Canderous is such a lying scumbag. :p

But it is one aspect of what makes them interesting. They do all these things and enjoy them and still try to paint themselves as the good guys. But they aren't, at least in the KotoR era. They were baaad and had no compassion even for their own soldiers.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Maybe that wasn't the intention, but it certainly came across that way in the novels. That tends to happen when they apparently have everything figured out (Mara's killer being one example) several books ahead of the other characters or we are forced to believe that the only way to stop a Sith is through 'Mando training.' Perhaps it is simply a character trait, but Traviss seemed to go out of her way to beat us over the head with it.

I never bothered with the other Mando books because quite frankly, I got totally fed up with them in the Legacy of the Force. I really don't want to get into a rant about Traviss and her Mandos, especially since that was the cause of bad blood in the past and this really isn't the place for that discussion. That was one author's interpretation and I'm sure the ST will improve upon that.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's virtually unexplored outside of print & games. They'd make a great new threat to replace the Empire.

DarthRelaxus and darklordoftech like this.
  19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I forsee maybe 1 or 2 *at most* Mandalores *or whatever they are called. I just call them Boba fetts*. I highly doubt we'll see an army of them. That might be considered milking the Fett popularity by general audiences

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Mandalorians would work well in the movies, especially say if you need a new threat to replace the Empire.

They are to Star Wars what Klingons are to Star Trek, the galaxy's hardest warriors who live and die by honour & battle. They are one of few non-Force capable races who can really test Jedi, and with proper beskar armour are damn hard to defeat given they resist almost everything.

Mandos were great in TCW, they can be even better in a movie.

21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I want both, actually(pacifist and militaristic). I also want more variety in the culture, like we saw in TCW. Perhaps the pacifists live on some other planet called New Mandalore and not the old Mandalore that's been taken over by the Death Watch.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Mandalorians in TCW had become a people, ordinary people living regular lives on a planet run like most others. What Death Watch wanted was to go back to the days when every child on Mandalore was born and raised to fight and be a warrior, and that all the people only knew battle. No time for scholars or artists or whatnot, that is not what Mandalorians do, that is not honourable.

Having TCW Mandalore with a Death Watch army, now that would be something. You'd need an army of Jedi to take them down just like in the Old Republic days when the war was only won after Revan and his Jedi came to the fight.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  24. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    OK, who lit off the Mando Signal?

Oh it was you eht. :p

I am as big a fan of the Karen Traviss type "True Mandalorians" as anyone else, but I don't really want to see a whole movie where they feature heavily. Nor would I want to see a Death Watch army and the less said about the peacenik Mandos the better. I really think Mandalorians work best within their "niche" market, fulfilling their small role in a big picture, or a big role in a small picture, sort of setting.

Having one as a bounty hunter, or even just catching a glimpse of one in the background would be good enough for me. If they did have to feature more heavily, it would be nice to see one as an amoral "good guy" instead of as the baddies again, but that would just be a personal preference.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and eht13 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I guess you're right; back then they were still reeling from their defeat in the Exar Kun War, and they were bitter, angry, and wanted to hurt the Republic. Probably didn't take too much Sith prodding to get that done. However, Canderous in the Revan novel was forced to kill his own wife and he had bad dreams about it and called out her name in the night. If that's not regret, I don't know what is. I'd say the Mandalorians of that era might have been, depending on the scenario, either villains or anti-heroes. Certainly they're never the clear-cut good guys, even though they were working for the Republic during the Clone Wars and with the Jedi during the 2nd Galactic Civil War, but they're not evil.