main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The bolded parts are the things I want to see. The Death Watch were a good adversary and closer to what the Mandalorians should be. The Mandalorian pacifists made the Mando culture a lot more multi-faceted. I would at least like to see remnants of Satine's pacifist movement, perhaps residing on some other planet.

I would also like to see Mirta Gev retconed to N-canon.

I also hope we never see Karen Traviss Mandalorians ever in the ST.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Now I dont know much about Star Wars EU or Clone wars so I got a quick question: Do general audiences know Mandalorian *or whatever* are a race/whatever they are of people? I always just thought Boba and Jango just wore those helmets/costumes cause it looked bad ass not cause its some official culture thing. Did they ever mention it in the movies or is it just some "Well if you read the books and saw the Clone wars then you would know" thing because if its just that then they would probably have to explain all that in the movie cause just rolling with it and not explaining might alienate audiences who would have to deal with the "Well if YOU just read the EU then it would make sense".

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I didn't read the Revan novel but there's a emotional difference between killing your own wife and some strangers. Vader might've regretted killing his own wife as well but it certainly didn't stop him from killing.

I do think they were evil as what they did was razing planets and plundering their resources, starting a devastating war for almost no reason. There were some good Mandalorians too but you didn't meet them very often.

@ Darth Claire

Wouldn't it be better to have an enemy that has a connection to the movies rather than one that doesn't? There's a need for a villainous military faction and you can't easily use the empire for that, as it was defeated.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nope. But you can drop a line about how Boba and Jango were Mandalorians and trained by them and instantly the audience could connect some dots.

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012

Its a hard question for me to answer. Because while I do want a villain who can stand on his own and doesn't need to rely on past films to back him up (like "Oh yeah I was so-and-sos apprentice/I look like another guy you know, so thats why you should find me to threat"), but I dont want a villain that is SOO totally out there that it doesn't fit in naturally. Its a win-lose scenario either way.

EDIT: and as you said, on the plus side it is easier to explain than like other fanboy requests (like Ahsoka being in the ST, or some character who was on screen for a second but now people want to be a MAJOR character). So yes it would be simple, but it does come at the risk of non-fanboys who dont know this stuff to see it as Lucasfilm once again milking the Boba fett fame by saying "You like Boba fett so here is an ARMY OF BOBA FETTS! You like that right!?!"

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The Mandalorians are interesting because almost everything there is out there about them is from the EU. They are almost nonexistent in the movies. If they were to be part of the sequels, there is a wide range of ways to approach it. They could really do anything they wanted with them, it's wide open territory as long as they feel like they don't need to be handcuffed to the EU. And judging by what they have said, I don't think that they do feel that way.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Fanservice does work sometimes. Marketing would jump at the option of putting "an ARMY OF BOBA FETTS" on advertisements. I think the fans of armored badass space marines will be louder than the critics.

8. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I like seeing the Mandalorians as amoral mercenaries. To me that is how they are best used on film and in literature. Willing to fight for a buck and not really caring about the cause either way. In a lot of ways "peacnik mandos" aren't really mandos anymore, just people who happen to be living in the system. While their arc was somewhat interesting in TCW (and I feel helped fix some continuity issues in the EU though that is off topic) I don't see what they would add to a movie.

Likewise we have seen the bad guy Death Watch Mandalorians on screen now, (albeit the small screen) and frankly I wasn't impressed. They seemed like generic bad guys of the week. I doubt any movie would make them much more than that. As an addition to what I said before, I think they work best as a lone hired gun. Like the Han Solo role from the first film, only he doesn't turn around and help the good guys at the end due to some epiphany. He or she just takes the money and leaves. I would say have one hired out by the bad guys, but again, we have seen that already. I enjoyed Jango Fett's role in episode II, it was the highlight of the film to me, but that doesn't mean I want to see it again in a new movie.

In the end, I think that most people won't care one way or another about seeing the Mandalorians (of any stripe), but if we do I hope it is something minor. As much as I like them I don't see them carrying an entire movie as the main bad guys.

EDIT: And yes, I will admit a large part of this is not wanting to see the EU over written in terms of my favorite characters. :p

[​IMG]

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What do you think of KotoR mandos? They care about warrior honor and whatnot but of course they are utter hypocrits.

I'm also partial to interesting lurkers idea. Bringing in some rebellious mandos who detest the brutal ways of their brethren would give the villains more depth.

What I especially like is that Mandalorians believably can go toe to toe with a Jedi.

10. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I think the Mandos in general are big time hypocrites, but that is part of the reason I love them. :p

I haven't dealt with the KotoR era in any way so I couldn't answer that question.

[​IMG]

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I see. Well, the KotoR Mandalorians I feel were evil but at the same time more interesting than Death Watch. They were basically a people who followed a dream of grandiosity and bringing the entire galaxy under their heel just to be crushed by Revan and the Republic and recognize how empty that dream was. They were taught that fight was the be all end all of everything and then their fighting prowess was taken away from them, leaving them broken and exposing how hollow they were inside. Because all they ever knew was fighting and battle propaganda.

12. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Yes, but the writers can make up one that hasn't been used before in the EU, CGI TV series, and the movies. The writers need to be bold and not become so reliant on the Sith as enemies otherwise it cheapens Vader's sacrifice.

That said, if it came down to using the same villains in Star Wars, the Mandalorians would be my second choice as the main villains(the first choice being the Sun Guard). But again, if it were up to me, the writers would create a totally new villainous faction for the Republic to face.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hm, what are the options?

Extragalactic and exotic invaders
    Barbarians from outer space
    A disgruntled faction of the Republic
    Droid revolution
    Borg type swarm villain
    AI gone crazy
    Sith army
    Evil cult with military branch
    Non-sentient monsters

Some of these are better suited for SW than others. But most of them already have been done in the EU or even the movies.

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I believe Darth Maul put an end to that one.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think the options are much wider than that. Look at history, classical epics, literature. There's no reason it has to be the same kind of "threat" as the Empire. The threat could be closer to home, on a more character based dramatic scale, but which takes those characters into big conflicts. What's at stake doesn't have to be an entire galactic civilization. It depends on where you put the focus. I for one am hoping we don't get another "threat to the republic" story right out of the gates. That kind of space opera has been done to death on tv by now. And as someone else pointed out, GL is less predictable than that.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But it's called Star Wars.

I would love a story about a single space station or shady village on Ryloth, but that's just not an option for the sequel trilogy.

Plus Leia and Luke are now big players and probably deal with big problems. It is unlikely they would even bother with a small-scale conflict as they have bigger fish to fry.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Introducing them to people who have not seen TCW or read EU stuff is easy. Mention them and have a character ask "Who are they?", then a guy like Luke can do a brief rendition of their history and there you have them set up.

As I said, they are Star Wars Klingons.

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I would be one to welcome Mandalorians as minor antagonists in the ST. I made my point here in the "Who's the Baddie?" thread regarding this.

It would be especially awesome to see a Mandalorian battling a Force-user using every weapon at his or her disposal and therefore providing a very worthy and dangerous adversary for that Force-user. Something similar to the Maul-Vizsla duel in TCW, but without the lightsaber combat (though I wouldn't mind the darksaber showing up again in the hands of a Mandalorian):
    [​IMG]

The closure to the New Mandalorian storyline in TCW paved the way for the return of the True Mandalorians in the EU, so I am sure if Mandalorians do show up as a faction, they will once again embrace their warrior culture. I am also open to the idea of Mandalorians as mercenaries like Bardan_Jusik mentioned.

Really, as long as the Mandalorians hold true to this pithy tenet of their culture, I'd be happy:

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!*

*For the uninitiated, this means "Don't mess with Mandalorians!"

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Klingons were never as bad. What separates the Mandalorians of olden times from Klingons is that their honor is illusion. Mandalorians were perfectly capable of slaughtering defenseless children.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Like I said, it would show the different veneers of Mandalorian society. But also, they might live on another planet called "New Mandalore" or "True Mandalore". As for the non-pacifistic Mandalorians, I do hope that if they appear they have their own engineers, weapons manufacturers, architects, scientists, etc. A militaristic society cannot survive without those jobs.

I disagree. In the end, they're an extremist group that supports traditionalism. That's something that's very realistic. The episode "A Friend in Need" didn't contradict this view. Pre Vizsla subjugated and then destroyed a whole community in that episode, but that's because he believed in pseudo-Darwinism and that he therefore had the right to kill "the weak" as he saw fit. He still fights for what he believes to be right and when Darth Maul is about to kill him, he accepts his death. The Death Watch didn't do anything just to be evil. On another note, they were pretty badass.

I don't like this idea. It just makes the Mandalorians nothing more than hired guns with fancy armor. Doesn't really make them stand out. I like the Mandalorians from KOTOR and TCW; they were a lot more ambitious and dangerous. The Mandalorians work better as bad guys if you ask me.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But I'm pretty sure Maul intentionally did NOT use the Force in that duel, so that none of the Mandalorians who would owe him allegiance if and when he won could say he cheated. And he did win, and without using the Force. There were a few times when he could have used it, but I'm pretty sure the only time he did was just to pick up the darksaber lying on the floor.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There could easily be big ground & space battles for the heroes but the whole fate of the galaxy doesn't have to be at stake. If well written, you could quite easily draw the characters into a less mega-scale conflict.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Those were Mandalorians controlled by a Sith, look what Germans did under Hitler. That isn't to say they all agreed with it, but it brought them what they wanted so they went along with it.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That still doesn't change the fact that 99,9999% of the Mandalorians were perfectly happy to follow their leaders into war and loved slaughtering all the enemies - which would make them brutal villains in a movie trilogy.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Look, I wouldn't mind this. But who are we kidding here? We will see a mega-scale conflict as this is how the industry functions, unfortunately.