main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What role will Han Solo play in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Apr 18, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No, seriously, how do you choose which words to capitalize?

2. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    It is a fine art that only a few Can master young one..............

3. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

Gone are the days of Harrison Ford being a leading man.

4. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    I think Harrison Ford could Carry Episode 7 !!

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, who cares about the needs of the story? Let's just play on people's nostalgia because that always works, right?... Right? [face_dunno]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Han and Leia will be running around the galaxy doing Mercy missions to help planets that need aid.

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    But it's not his job to carry Episode VII; it never was; it never should be. That task falls to whoever will be the principal young main character for this trilogy; that character may be a child of Han Solo, and it may not (and in my opinion, it would be just as likely, if not more so, that it would be Luke's child). If it is, then undoubtedly Han will have a role of sufficient significance to make me happy; I suspect that I can conceive of no realistic scenario in which his role will be significant enough to make YOU happy.

We get that you like Han Solo. We know that because you've been screaming it at the top of your lungs all over this forum for weeks now. But Han Solo shouldn't carry the ST; he didn't even carry the OT, the films that brought him to you in order for you to become so enamored with him in the first place. To make him the centerpiece of Episode VII would be a disservice to Episode VII, to the needs of the story, to the need of the franchise to move forward and chart a bold new course after being mired in mediocrity for decades. But I'm sure you don't care about any of that. You only care about Han Solo carrying the film. Why? Because you want it, and for no other reason. That's a completely and utterly selfish and self-absorbed approach to a project of this importance.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so let's all take a breather and go back to our corners to calm down, OK?

9. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok, let me once again make the Complex.........Simple !!!!

I want Han Solo to carry the film because he is a Bad Ass.......Pure and Simple. He is a mans Man, Cocky and Arrogant and Bold, He is everything that a movie needs and furthermore his Space Cowboy ways is just what Star Wars Needs.

Add Harrison Ford, and you get a double dose of greatness, A Great Iconic Character played by a Amazing Legendary Actor !!!

Now I will address the Story arc for a minute.

No matter what story Episode 7 takes, it is critical that it draws heavily upon Solo

1.) if it is about Lukes Kids.....(As you say) then Han will play a major role prehaps as a support to Luke and Leia much like the OT
    2.) if it is about His and Leias Twins which I believe will be the case then his role is even bigger due to the fact that he is the father.

Bottom line is we are going to get MORE HAN SOLO and that is frecking AWSOME Dude !!!!

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't even like Han Solo that much but I'd rather see a 75 year old Harrison Ford run around for two hours than another Captain Bro Kirk type of dude.

11. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    Just a couple of things which I think needs to happen in Episode 7 and granted Im Bias because Im a Huge Han Solo Fan !!!

1.) Han drawing his blaster and frying some random Alien would be just Awsome.......( It would be even greater if they purposefully made the alien a Jar Jar Binks Look-alike.)

2.) Han in a shady cantina, sipping a few drinks prehaps getting in the middle of a Sarbacc game with a group of really questionable folks attempting to get infromation perhaps on the whereabouts of His kids or the nature of the threat to the galaxy............Solo doing Spywork is what Im leaning torward !!

3.) Of course Han behind the helm of the Falcon, with the Bridge of the Ship extactly the way we remember it form ESB !!!

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm a huge Han fan as well...and really, I don't think the 'key' to the ST is to have a Han Solo overdose. Sure, it'll be nice to see him again after 30 years, but this won't be his story (heck, even the OT wasn't his story). The next generation will be at the forefront (as it should be) and I can see him being there solely to make the transition a little easier - the same can be said for both Luke and Leia.

If you want a pure Han Solo action-flick, I suggest you wait and see what the folks at Disney and Lucasfilm have in store for the spin-off films. I have a feeling Han is one of the top runners to be featured.

13. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    No to Han carrying it. Rather have some kind of "Daughter like Father" as one of the ST Big Three.

So basically not Jaina Solo. Still amazes me the only Solo kid with any kind of personality was Anakin. Guess that's why he had to die. Jacen got the Skywalker-Whiny without he Skywalker-Heroic.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013

He's already no longer Han when he's freed from the carbonite. Now he's had 30 more years of not being Han.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally I thought he was still "Han-ish" with his skepticism about Luke- but he's undergo enough character development to commit to the Rebellion.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013

He really seemed to take to being a compassionate leader on Endor, so that's why I imagine he'd thrive in the military.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It certainly is. Crystalline.

Luke Skywalker. With the supporting roles of Han and Leia playing important parts, s well.

All three will take part, in their own way, in passing the torch to the next generation, who will become the focus of the new trilogy's story. Just like Star Wars has always done. It's Star Wars 101.

And I don't give a damn who the bigger name may be in our world, the episodes are the story of the Skywalker saga, and though Han may play an important role, the film will not revolve around Harrison Ford. Least of all because he is a big name.

Big name actor? Come on, who cares? Don't kid yourself. "Star Wars" is the big name.

I mean, the franchise has grown so far above and beyond these type of concerns, that I find it laughable that anybody would even suggest it. The only thing that big name may get Ford is a bigger paycheck, but I can promise you that Episode VII will not resemble the type of "Han Solo story" you seem to have convinced yourself we are in for. There's simply no basis in reality for it to happen.

18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    And I don't give a damn about what you don't give a damn about! The episodes are not about the "Skywalker Saga". The episodes are about Star Wars, specifically the main events that take place in that universe. Star Wars is bigger than the Skywalkers. Its bigger than Han. Its bigger than Obi-Wan. Hell, its even bigger than Ben Quadinaros!

Star Wars is about people becoming heroes against mighty odds. Its about good vs evil; taking old things and modernizing them; defending yourself against fear and disillusionment; family ties and how they affect you; big changes sweeping the galaxy; people trying to restore peace to a galaxy in turmoil; the fight for democracy; the quest for revenge. Its about all these things and more. Star Wars isn't about one thing; its about multiple things. You can't just pin one meaning to it all.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, of course the stories delve into a lot of themes, and I never suggested otherwise. If you'd spent more time taking into account the context of the discussion at hand, you'd see that I was pointing out that the central characters of the Episodes have been the Skywalkers, not Han Solo, and that it's patently ridiculous to expect this central truth to change in Episode VII. The conversation was never about the deeper truths of the Star Wars franchise, and if you can't grasp this most basic of concepts, again, especially in light of the topic at hand, then, I'm sorry, you just don't get it.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Actually, your right in that the central characters have been the Skywalkers but they're not the only central characters. Obi-Wan, Yoda, Han Solo, Palps, Lando, Padme Amidala, and Qui-Gon Jinn were central characters as well.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Two points that struck me when I read this thread (forgive me for not being able to quote directly or give credit, I read this entire thread on my phone at work), are Han as an Operative and Han being the only one that can give flak to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

I like the idea of Han being an agent of sorts... In the Republic Military but not a rank & file guy. I'm thinking a character closer to Agent Jack Bauer.

And, if nothing else, Han could serve as Luke's old friend who can tell it like it is, despite Luke being regarded as superior to the rest of the Republic. He could keep Luke grounded and make him see things outside the Jedi box, so to speak.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    What role will Han Solo play in the ST?

Good question. I can't picture him doing anything other than flying Leia around on, really.

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Admiral Solo.... guarding his beloved with his own fleet

24. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Same here actually. He may just be a cameo character in the movie.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think his role will be as a scruffy looking scoundrel, who shoots first, is in it for the money, takes orders from just one person, is never at fault, thinks he's "nice men", doesn't believe in hokey religions and ancient weapons, and knows you love him. :)

Or maybe he'll just be Mr. Organa.