main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Biggest Plot Holes & Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rachel_In_Red, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    What do you consider to be the biggest plot holes or inconsistencies linking the PT and OT?

2. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Obi Wan telling Luke Yoda trained him, no mention of Qui Gonn

Anakin building C3PO, Owen and Obi-Wan not recognizing the droids in the OT

The force is midichlorians living in your blood streem (Yoda originally says the force is everywhere, tree and rock)

Leia not really remembering her real mother

Baby greedo and Darth Vader being childhood friends (not really a plot hole, but stupid)

darthbarracuda and Darth Dnej like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Leia remembering her mother and the lack of mention of Qui-Gon were the biggest.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Shouldn't this be in Saga since it involves the OT? :confused:

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    The Trade federation blindly taking orders from a hologram.... why?

The first Jedi Palpatine kills has his back turned away from him while others watch

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003

No, you can find plenty of plot holes between the prequels themselves

7. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Syfa Dias - Who ordered the clone army and erased the jedi archives? never resolved in the trilogy

VanishingReality likes this.
  8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Yet, the OP asked for "biggest plot holes or inconsistencies linking the PT and OT." By necessity, that's going to involve the OT. Hence Saga.

9. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Why don't you move to a different forum?

10. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    What do you mean? :confused:

11. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Just because there's a plothole doesn't mean it can't be filled in. some of the yet-released TCW episodes are supposed to blow the Syfo-Dyas thing wide open. As for Leia remembering her mother... I can only assume Bail Organa was in a better positon to tell Leia about her than Luke's aunt and uncle were.

generally I choose to turn the other cheek towards plotholes, especially considering how hard it is to keep all your ducks in a row when creating such a massive mythology and keep it entertaining.
    The Iliad had bigger plot holes than Star Wars, I'm sure.

12. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That would be the biggest one for me.
    Although I still haven't encountered a better alternative. Padmé preferring one one of her children is unacceptable and you really can't let a main character die off screen without any later mention.

The Force is not midichlorians. The Force does not live in your blood.
    The midichlorians rather tell us why living things can use the Force while trees and rocks can't.

That's not a plot hole, it's unresolved plot.
    Who ordered the clone army is not essential to story. It's essential that the clone army is a part of the plan of the Sith, and that's made very clear.

Now you've really lost me....How can such a thing be considered a "plot hole"?
    Why? Because he promised them a lot of wealth and has proven to be able to influence the senate, probably?
    Why does a Force user lilke Vader take orders from an old man (Tarkin) anyway?

FRAGWAGON, Bob Octa and darth ladnar like this.
  13. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    How did Padme die?

Anakin choked her a bit but people don't die from "losing the will to live". And you'd think she could muster up a bit of will to survive for the sake of her children...

The Hellhammer and Darth Dnej like this.
  14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Beru/Owen and Anakin's relationship being more distant than I think is implied in ANH.

(Maybe not the biggest, but it's one that does bug me sometimes.)

Darth Dnej and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  15. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I can't remember any, so if you could give us some examples, that would be great.
    Also, I remember quite a few topics with similar PT-bashing thematics.

16. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    How the Jedi just gave up after the PT being completely out of character.

Darth Dnej and TheFoot like this.
  17. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    The Jedi didn't just give up otherwise the Sith would never have been destroyed. They learned from there mistakes, they realized that they needed to be patient in stead of running head on into everything.

Generally I don't really care about the plot holes, I just tend to overlook them. He did a lot better job with the films then I ever could have. So I just think "Hey the guy made a few mistakes, Nobodies perfect."

There are however a few things that rattle me. These may not be plot holes, just things that get to me.

a) The Clone Army - Why where the Jedi so quick to work alongside them and trust them, even though they knew pretty much nothing about them.

b) Using 3 different bad guys in the prequel. Why not just use 1, give them lots of scene time and build the character up like he did with Vader in the OT. Rather then just having 3 guys that could have been good but under used and killed before we know anything about them and they could shine as a character.

c) Giving the Jedi a few high points in the PT, rather then making them look a bunch of morons who couldn't tell there a**s from their elbow.

I may think of a few other things as I haven't seen the films for a while, But generally speaking that's pretty much about it and to be fair there not really plot holes just annoyances.

Sorry Charlie512, I've just reread your post so ignore that top part. :)

18. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    In the original filming, Padme is choked longer and blasted against a wall. In the editing, George pussy footed out and made a more family friendly death. I remember them talking about this on Hyperspace years ago.

19. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    The 'filling' in is called, 'harmonization'.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    People here get that backwards.

The truth is that just because something can be filled in doesn't mean it's not a plot hole.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, they can.

22. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    Yeah, maybe when they are terminal. Otherwise you'd be seeing goth kids dropping like flies. It's a stupid way to die in an epic movie

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It is off the charts bad

As far as plot holes between the trilogies

Leia remembering her mother is a huge one
    Kenobi tells us a backstory in ANH that does not match up with the prequels at all, clearly Anakin had a relationship with Owen, Owen did not approve of Anakin following Kenobi into adventures. This is nothing like what we are told by the prequels

The general amount of time that passes is off. More than 20 years should have passed.The age of Kenobi does not match up, nor does the general attitudes of the characters. The Jedi are a distant memory, almost a fable. Only the old characters like Tarkin take them seriously, middle aged men scoff at the idea, because cleary the idea is that they were too young to remember that era. That is why a man would taunt Vader, he's too young to take the fables of supernatural men seriously.

Kenobi makes it clear that Yoda was his master in a direct way, not what was shown in PT.

Kenobi tells us that he met an Anakin that was an established pilot, not a slave pod racing child.

Those are some of the bigger ones, there are others.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, but I'm also glad they didn't go with the original version. ROTS would have been a better movie if Anakin had had absolutely nothing to do with Padme's death.

Talk about an inconsistency: "I'm so afraid that you're going to die that I'm going to blindly obey some evil dude who told me that if I kill all my friends, he MIGHT be able to show me how to keep you alive. Oh, you don't think that's cool? Let me strangle you right here because that will surely do more to keep you alive."

Oh, wait...

Anakin should have never been portrayed as that monumentally ****ing stupid. Irrational and temperamental, sure; an idiot, no.

Charlie512 and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The RoTJ novelization does have a few lines that imply Anakin's wife didn't die in childbirth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.