main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT JJ Abrams opinion of the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why should any of us care how J.J. Abrams feel about the PT?

2. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    It may in part determine whether or not he actually makes a film that represents being a part of the whole SW saga, or if he just gives in to OT nostalgia fanservice.

3. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Fanservice..... please JJ fanservice!!!

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    As an Eva fan, seeing somebody actually call for "sabisu, sabisu!!!" and mean it is really ironic and depressing.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    You want fanservice of JJ Abrams? Well...okay. I suppose he's a rather...erm...elegant fellow. Whatever floats your boat, man.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Abrams??? All these depend almost entirely on the script. I only hope Arndt was taking notes when Lucas gave him "the talk".

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Absolutely. And for the record, the involvement of Michael Arndt is the sole reason why I have any curiousity about the Sequel Trilogy project. The warmth and pathos of his Little Miss Sunshine/Toy Story 3 scripts may safeguard Episode VII from devolving into the "OT nostalgia fanservice" showcase that almost seemed preordained with Abrams behind the helm.

It's not that I demand Abrams and Co. enjoy the PT, but that they respect its place in the Saga.

8. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Am I the only one who isn't remotely impressed by the LMS/TS3 pedigree? One, a cloying, overrated studio-safe indie feel-good comedy cloned from the school of Wes Anderson, the other a strained threequelof a franchise that was never its studio's best, overreaching for drama and pathos in a story whose characters are never seriously in any kind of risk (anyone who thinks that Buzz and Woody really might've been melted down probably thinks one of those stray bullets might actually hit Bond one of these days). Also, he's got fandom of ANH and its climax almost down to a pathology, so there's no reason not to expect more of the same from him, as well. I don't like either of their names attached to SW, honestly.

9. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    C'mon, didn't you feel anything when Woody and the gang joined hands as they stared into oblivion, only to be saved by the interceding Claw? (Which, incidentally, is the best trilogy-spanning payoff EVER! The Claw as the Hand of God! Genius!)

I don't even care for most Pixar movies, and that movie lifted my spirits for a week.

eht13 and SlashMan like this.
  10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Not really, no. I thought it was a cute callback to the first movie, but just a gimmick, really. I couldn't feel any danger as they were headed to the fire because I knew there was no chance of Disney letting them die. Maybe if one or two sacrificed themselves to save the others (again, impossible) but as it stands, it was just a rehash of a lot of better danger-moments from previous Disney movies, where characters were more in danger because they weren't set-in-sequelized-stone yet. I honestly felt there was more legitimate danger in the finale of the first "Toy Story".

Oh, and a better trilogy spanning payoff than Vader's unmasking? Or Ripley's sacrifice? Or anything in ROTS? Hell, even Neo finally accepting the "inevitable" trumps TS3 for me.

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Now that you mention it, I suppose Palpatine's destruction of the Senate in Revenge of the Sith barely edges out the Claw reemergence. But that's only because I'm a sucker for microcosmic battles/apocalyptic political statements set to Duel of the Fates. :)

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'll admit, before I was a Star Wars fan, I was a Toy Story fan.
    While Toy Story 3 was at the bottom of my list, it still doesn't disappoint one bit. It was faithful to the originals, and preserves the characters (and plenty of Easter eggs for the older fans). Sure, it takes a few strong deviations from the formula (especially the ending), but it all felt like a Toy Story movie.

So what does this mean for Star Wars? I have faith that the characters will be immediately recognizable, and the new characters will be likeable. One notable thing Toy Story 3 did was immediately re-acquaint the audience to the story after a considerable amount of time has passed (both in real life and in the timeline). Also, I feel it will fit in with the Saga as opposed to a continuation of just the OT.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    i hope but simon peggs comments worry me jj might make a OT nostalgia fanservice that will forvever be called superman returns lightsaber addition

14. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    JJ probably can't say anything bad about the prequels right now. Since he's got the job, Disney would probably give him hell for bashing ANYTHING in them. He has to smile and say he likes them, because Disney owns the prequels now, and him.

I recently saw the new Star Trek, and I'm both excited and a bit scared. In the one hand, it is a movie with great action and fantastic visuals (something Star Wars needs). On the other, the script was all over the place with ham-fisted references...in kind of a bad way. I guess the script really isn't in his hands though, so I dunno...

His actions will speak louder than words. He will nod his head and say he loves all things Star Wars, while also trying to make the film actually be better or in some ways more interesting than the previous ones. In other words, he'll put his real feelings into the work. I trust his visual style and direction...I just don't want him to have too much control.

15. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013

I think Abrams is a force in his own right; he doesn't need to bow down to anyone or anything - even Disney.

I also think he has an ability to direct both action and character drama. With a good script, I think he has the chops to do right by us.

16. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    Yeah he does buy can he respect the prequels and avoid superman returns the lightsaber edition

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    seems legit

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "Superman Returns the lightsaber edition..." I think I might have read that over a dozen times today. Please find a new analogy. ;)

Andy Wylde, GGrievous and EHT like this.
  19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I suspect the script and LucasFilm's demands will determine this, not J.J. Abrams. STAR WARS is not his franchise.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Nah.

21. man of steel

Jun 8, 2013
    neither was the superman franchise bryan singers and we still got that fanservice piece of...im not getting banned so i will stop here

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Agreed! And let me add some more: All of LOTR:ROTK, the climactic battle in Pirates 3, Batman "sacrificing" himself in TDKR. All so much better than TS3.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    same writers as the Transformers Trilogy

unless Disney wants to please the bashers. Also, are you sure studios care what comes out the director's mouth?

24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    He can love them or hate for all I care. I just want good films.

25. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    He pretty much diplomatically dodged the question on the Howard Stern Show instead of trying to defend the Prequels. So yeah he probably like dislikes it. It makes me a happy puppy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.