main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does Yoda talk backwards to the extreme in the Prequels, but not in the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jun 6, 2013.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Coming from a guy who waited 15 years for a new Star Wars movie to come out.... the Saga would have been much better off without the prequels. For the most part hey should have never been made. One does not need an excuse to bash them.

Heero_Yuy and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Oh good grief.

I love the prequels but lighten up, people.

I assume that someone or several someones thinking that Yoda's speech pattern in the prequels is idiotic, is not affecting your enjoyment of them. Such comments certainly will not be on my mind if I decide to watch TPM or AOTC this weekend.

On the topic, I honestly never noticed, Yoda talks backwards in pretty much every scene he's in.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I just tested out the ignore function with my sock... I'm going to have an awesome time here whenever I decide to retire.

/End mod spam.

FRAGWAGON and Sock and Awe like this.
  4. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    I have never noticed this. All Yoda's lines sound good to me...

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Yoda has more screen time in the PT. Therefore, he has more lines.

Some people are acting like talking backwards was something he rarely did in ESB, when in fact that was one of the most notable traits of the character. But like it's been said earlier, it depends on the lines he's reciting. Some can work, some can't.

6. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    Some lines do sound extremely akward and would have sounded way better in normal speak.

"Not if anything to say about it... I have" .

o_O

7. Charlie512

Charlie512 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm glad they were made. I just wish they would have been much better. It's still Star Wars though and they have built up a good culture around them.

If they remade them and improved on them a lot, oh I'm only dreaming.

janstett likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    They imply in RotS that Yoda and Qui-Gon would have some conversations on Dagobah. So if Yoda's only company for twenty plus years is Qui-Gon and people pick up each other's speech patterns over time I don't see what the big deal is.

And you should note that if you were to directly translate something from any language into English (love Google Translate and Babylon 9) the first thing you would notice is that the grammar is backwards. However if they were to translate this into their language it would b backwards to them. Us English Speakers speak backwards.

Yes, I just implied that Yoda doesn't think in the language that everyone else speaks in.

9. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Because the prequels can never, ever be criticized for any reason whatsoever? They are perfect and you are evil if you point anything out?

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    He is training Jedi on Coruscant for 800 years where nobody else speaks like him. If anything he should talk like Mace.

You actually hit on a truth, there. The Romance Languages (Latin -> Spanish, Italian, French) put things backwards from the way English does. "Casa Blanca" means "house white". Nouns first, then adjectives. We do the opposite.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's the style of Basic Yoda grew up with?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Yoda thought confusing people was great fun until one day he was in a rush and sounded a little like this,

"to be found Luke is the Jedi way not go to dagobah i will torch your steal"

Yoda spoke NORMALLY after that.

13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Yoda had actually been embarrassed about his word order for a long time. When he was younger he used to stutter and he suffered from dyslexia. Over the years, he overcame these last two problems, but as he got older, he just became so busy being a Jedi grand master that he never had time to work on improving his speech patterns. Once he was alone on Dagobah, he was finally able to find the time to work on his English. During that time, he also learned how to play the piano and how to knit and played a lot of poker with Qui-Gon and watched dirty movies. These pastimes were the only things that kept him sane.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Crazy, this thread has become.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Lady_Misty like this.
  15. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Never really paid attention to the way he was talking, I just concentrated on what he was saying rather then the way he was saying it.

16. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    I just recently noticed this myself and now it really gets on my nerves!

17. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    ok man above who made this thread dont talk for everyone else and clarify how did it ruin the franchise sounds like you need another fail cookie

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. Sock and Awe

Sock and Awe Jedi Master star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    sorry, botched post...move along

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That wasn't very good Yoda-speak. And welcome to the boards, again, whoever u are.;)

Sock and Awe likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Actually, this is a really good example of the delicate balancing act of Yoda-speak. That 2nd set of lines is really well done, it's backwards if you squint but the point is made in a rather straightforward manner.

21. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I looked up something not too long ago and it led me to the answer on this very question, actually. On a certain website people took the time to diagram Yoda-speak throughout the franchise, and they asked the exact same question, and through careful research came to this conclusion:

Apparently, George Lucas did only some of the screen-writing for The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. Where he didn't do the writing himself are the scenes where Yoda mostly speaks differently and without so much emphasis on the backwards-talk that George Lucas had envisioned for him, as other writers didn't necessarily write it in, or maintain it so much.

In the PT movies George Lucas did most-if not all-of the writing and so he further embellished the way he'd always wanted the character to speak.

Basically, George Lucas being responsible for the creation of the character and all was the only writer to truly, fully understand Yoda and therefore was the only one to truly know how to write for Yoda.

Hope this helps with your question :)

22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A mountain from a molehill, this is.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, in the case of arguments that it's a plot hole - a mineshaft out of a molehole :D

24. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I intensely dislike "around the survivors a perimeter create" and "a prophecy that misread could have been" but other than that, I don't see it as any big deal. He's still the same dude.

Granger likes this.
  25. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I heard this problem before, but it's odd, because I couldn't really see any problems with his speech, all of it made sense to me!

I know right?
    OK the first one is illogical, because it doesn't even make sense! All the lines in the PT makes sense

The second one Is good and it makes sense.

The third one you also have no argument for, look at other posts on the thread, he dosn't always talk like Yoda (even though he is Yoda)

The thing is Prequel fans get enough of bashing, and this is a Prequel area. I'd suggest that you don't make to many bashing threads. I understand where you are coming from but I disagree with you all together. Just be careful when posting in the PT section if you are going to point out a disappointment with them. Remember, we all have our opinions! ;)