main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah, and also, as much as I don't mind seeing short-scale conflicts, Disney probably doesn't want to risk the ire of fans who were hoping to see another war take place, preferably one that's on the scale of the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Which is fine, hero Mandalorians are honourable and just. Villainous Mandalorians are cold brutal killers with no regard for anything other than forcing confrontation with someone worthy.

Trebor Sabreon and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Mandalorians in ST? Please hope so

[​IMG]

InterestingLurker likes this.
  4. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's kinda funny that movies have become so overblown that the idea of massive ground & aerial battles is "small scale" if the whole fate of every living thing in the universe isn't at stake :p

5. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    This is why I like the idea of the Star Wars: Underworld series, which unfortunately, may not see the light of day.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It might still happen, but not the way it was conceived by GL. Disney has said ABC might do a Live Action Show

7. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I vote "Yes".

[​IMG]

8. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Should there be Mandalorians? Yes. As mercenaries and henchmen. As a partical replacement for Stormtroopers (or the suckbutt battledroids from the PT).

I don't want Manda-Spartans, Manda-Klingons, etc. Definately not made into a Traviss-ty.

9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Personally, I'd welcome a role for the Mandalorians in the ST with open arms. I think it would be incredibly fun to see them up on the big screen, in full force. And I don't even think they'd necessarily have to fill a 'bad guy' role, either.

Oh, and more specifically, you folks certainly recall the moment when Jango closed the distance between himself and Obi-Wan during their incredible, tension-filled little talk on Kamino? Well, as admittedly cheesy a fan-service moment as it would be, I'd just love to see an old, haggard-looking, battle-scarred Temuera Morrison (as Boba) do the very same thing to Solo, before delivering the infamous "somewhat... indigestible" line, straight to his face, in a scene where Han and Luke come seeking the help of the Mand'alor and his forces. I think it would be a good use of SW's visual "rhyming," while at the same time, offering a nod to the EU fans (and incidentally, I'd loooove to hear the conflicting reactions from the audience). ;)

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yes, that's true. But that wasn't my point, though. I felt that a Mandalorian utilizing his full arsenal of weapons and tricks could really be a formidable opponent for a Jedi or other Force-user, especially if they can keep the advantage of distance in combat. If you are familiar with the comic series Jango Fett: Open Seasons, you may recall that Jango Fett actually managed to kill six Jedi with nothing more than his bare hands during the Battle of Galidraan, a truly fateful battle in that it crippled the numbers of the True Mandalorians while Jedi Master Dooku witnessed Fett's penchant for killing firsthand, which disturbed the Count and eventually lead to his leaving the Order and seeking out Fett to be the template of the clone army. So even a Mandalorian not quite as skilled by similar in ability to Jango Fett can be quite the adversary for a competent Jedi.

This could make for a very intriguing storyline, though I think Boba's story is probably best suited for spinoffs rather than for the ST itself. However, it could still work, if done well, while reintroducing an iconic character to the films.

Darth_Pevra and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011

[​IMG]

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    But they weren't always like that. By TCW (at least the True Mandos, not the Death Watch) they had reformed their honor system to include family; they did not murder innocents for the joy of it. They only found honor in fighting other soldiers. By the time the ST happens, this would be the Mandalorian culture, not the mass-murderers of KOTOR.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The thing I love about Mandalorians is the fact that they have no Force or special supernatural powers, yet are perfectly able to take on Jedi and Sith.
    I mean, they can beat them with their bare fists. That's pretty badass.

This is a very subjective opinion, as I have to admit I have always been a bit of a Mandalorian gusher, although I have never read any of the new novels about them.
    That doesn't matter to me.
    What I "gush" about is the idea of having someone who is an ordinary human / sentient who is trained to such a level that he can stand up to a being who controls the very fabric of the universe - and beat him with gadgets, ingenuity, blades, rockets, napalm and good old kicking in the face.
    I love that idea of having a culture that is, without possesing special powers, equal in martial prowess to the Jedi or Sith.

14. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I think the Zygerrians and Trandoshan's fit into the is category aswell. But what has been intruiging about the mandalorians, ever since Boba Fett, is their weapons gadgetry. They are a wariour people.

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    One guy in wearing the armor in the background of a scene in a spaceport or seedy gin joint will be shown in the second film for all of 4 seconds. His appearance will spawn several thousand works of fan fic, countless threads here about him really being Boba Fett/not Boba Fett/some other guy, and about a dozen works of slash fic.

Seriously, we know enough about the Mandalorians, perhaps even too much, to really warrant more appearances of them in the ST. If they have to explain every minute detail about them then they lose the mystery surrounding them which made them cool to begin with and that is something that they've already kinda sorta done. So in short, no, I really hope we don't see any Mandalorians in the ST and I hope the writers can come up with something new for a change.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You can easily claim Death Watch grew after Satine's death and turned back to the roots. Villains in Star Wars were always vile and the Mandalorians ala KotoR would be vile enough. Canon also doesn't matter much to Abrams and co.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True. In fact, Death Watch did continue on, even to a time between ANH and ESB, where they had a secret bunker on Endor. It would be easy enough for the ST to state that they continued on living (not Endor, because they obviously left there before ROTJ). However, if Death Watch is in it, I'd prefer the True Mandalorians to be in it, too, to create balance. I am not a fan of Death Watch; I like my True Mandos. I won't argue if DW is in it, but if they are, the TM should be in it, too.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It's been about 8 months since this news first broke about Disney buying LFL. Since that time I have countless-times campaigned for Mandalorians as the bad guys for Episode 7 and perhaps the whole ST. I am all for it so long as they are BADASS in every way. I'd like to make an analogy but as a person who is against spoilers I will only say that bringing the Mandalorians in could be tantamount to seeing Abrams take on

the Klingons

in Into Darekness. Epic! Pure Win!

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The Klingons in into darkness didn't appear so strong to me. A whole battalion of them got slaughtered by a single supersoldier. That shouldn't happen to the Mandalorians if they are to be taken as a real threat.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I want to point to point out that the ESB novelization, although saying Boba wears "the sort of armor worn by a group of evil warriors who were defeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars" (Death Watch I assume), doesn't say that Boba was a member of this group of warriors.

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's just a reason why the only thing that counts is what actually appears in the films.

Although that backstory sounds a lot better than the one we got.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Better than the prequel Clone Wars or better than the EU Mandalorians?

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    prequel clone wars, at least in terms of the role played by the clone army.

I do like the big ideas behind it, that Palpatine was orchestrating both sides. It's more the details that don't work for me, mainly that the Jedi don't question the use of a slave army of clones that they know, or at least should have half a brain enough to figure out, is connected to Dooku.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You make some good points, but that part was hella cool and sets up the future movies which surely will be EPIC!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm one of those people who is really tired of Fett and don't really want him in the new movies (he can be mentioned, but I don't really want to see him), but the Mando's in general? Yeah, I'm cool with that... would even go so far as to say I would like that.

I think they could be a good bad guy other than Sith or in combination with Sith.

Echo-07 and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.