main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Finally saw it last night........damn, i can't believe i lagged this long on not seeing it. I thought it was great. Im very happy with the way it was done.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    STID has made $20 million more abroad than 09 Trek so far, but will end up making about $50 million less domestically. Its final worldwide gross will likely be just about identical to 09 Trek in nominal dollars, but about 7% less or so adjusted for inflation. Maybe not quite bad enough to kill the franchise forever, but close enough that just to be sure they should fire Abrams from Star Wars today if they haven't already done it.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Abrams won't be given the level of creative control over Star Wars that he had in Trek. He was hired to reboot Trek, and he and his team were given a long leash to fulfill that mandate. His role in Star Wars will be more limited IMO. He'll have less input into the story. Not zero input, but less.

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

It's not Abrams fault. It's the bad script that was written by a chimpanzee, marmoset, and orangutan with typewriters. Those three horrible writers aren't being allowed anywhere near Star Wars.

The last time a Star Trek movie underperformed at the box office this bad was The Motion Picture. They then made the next movie with a new director, writer, and crew and we got the best Star Trek movie ever made. So there's hope for the third movie.

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Strictly speaking, Star Trek XII is only going to be the fourth worst performing Trek movie of all time. Star Trek XI is the fifth worst and Star Trek the Motion picture is the sixth worst or seventh best.

6. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

But TPM grossly underperformed based on its budget, so for the second movie they slashed the budget and brought in all new people.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, please, please, please!

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not gonna happen, Abrams is going to be far more in his element with SW than he was with ST. Plus with a far superior writer all he has to worry about is casting good people and realising the script in his own way (and given ST has shown he can cast good actors, I'm not worried about the former).

9. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    How do you figure this?
    Currently, ST 11 made about 60 mil more from where ST 12 is now. And ST 11 is less than 70 mil head at this point. So you think that ST 12 will only make 20 mil more? Looking at the daily figures, ST 11 is out-grossing it but not by much. Week 4, Friday ST 11; 3,6 mil vs ST 12, 3,2 mil.

I think that, at worst, ST 12 will make about 30 mil more domestic and thus the overseas gross need only to be about 15 mil more for ST 12 to equal ST 11. I would not be surprised if ST 12 exceeds 400 mil total BO. Not nearly as much as some might have thought but not a bomb by any stretch.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because...

ST09: 258 Domestic, 128 Foreign
    STID: 191 Domestic, 147 Foreign

That's to this point. So that's where his numbers come from. And STID's budget was 25% higher.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    -Has seen Space Seed many times.
    -Does not remember a character named John Harrison.

12. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    He's one of the crew members who loses consciousness and Kirk mentions him in his captains log.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So a couple things I never really have understood:

1. What exactly was Kirk's argument for why he could go into Klingon space without causing an incident while everyone else would?

2. How didn't the Klingons respond to what happened? They clearly knew of intruders, as reinforcements showed up. But it was also clear that the ship they (temporarily) captured didn't have interstellar capability. No one was curious about where these people actually came from? Especially with Uhura going into some detail about what the situation actually was?

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I just realized Nemesis is on Netflix instant. I haven't seen it in full since 2002. Time for some pain!

15. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Because...

ST09: 258 Domestic, 128 Foreign
    STID: 191 Domestic, 147 Foreign

That's to this point. So that's where his numbers come from. And STID's budget was 25% higher.[/quote]

I think you misunderstand me, the claim was that STID would make 50 mil less in the domestic BO. As of Friday, STID is less than 70 mil behind ST09. By comparison, ST09 made about 60 mil more for the rest of it's run and I thought it unlikely that STID would only make less than a third of that.
    As I said, the daily numbers are not that different. This weekend STID might make 9-10 mil. To compare ST09 made 12 mil.

STID has a higher budget yes, but if the total BO reaches about 400 mil then it will be double the budget. This is less than what was hoped for sure but not a bomb.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

16. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Trek IX, Star Trek XII...seventh best or sixth worst... All these numbers and the multiple meanings of "ST" on this site are confusing.
    I hate that STAR WARS movies will be coming out in such a climate of household box office analyzers, of movies only being in theaters four weeks, and Amazon advertising movies for pre-order the weekend they come out in theaters. The box office performance of one movie just can't be compared to how a related movie "performs" in another year, nor does the inflation adjustment really apply. The impact of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is nothing like the impact of Star Trek Into Darkness, for example. Star Trek Into Darkness is a big hit movie, but in a faster time when that status doesn't really mean much.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The point is, STID is not a big hit by any quantitative standard. I liked it. I'm glad many of the people who saw it liked it, but Star Trek isn't a title that enough people are interested in to justify making it a big budget summer franchise movie. Trek is very hit and miss on television and on the big screen, and global moviegoing audiences aren't very interested in it. The end.

18. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I've seen people see the 2009 and 2013 movies who didn't normally care about seeing Star Trek movies, and still won't care about delving into the other Trek stuff or maybe even the next Star Trek movie. It's still a big hit, unless that phrase only now applies to movies making more than $500 million and opening with $200 million opening weekends, and even while Iron Man 3 makes $200 million more, that leaves no more of an impact on the culture while audiences flock to the next weekend's offerings.

Pax Bandica likes this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It seems clear to me that Marvels Avengers movie and Iron Man have had a much bigger cultural impact than the recent Trek films. A movie like Trek that won't clear $400 million globally has a small fraction of the audience of Iron Man 3. I don't see how you can argue that Iron Man 3 as an extension of the most successful non Cameron movie of all time has "no more of an impact on culture" than the latest iteration of the Trek franchise.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I mean seriously!

Making $1,185,398,000 and costing $200mm is totally the same as making $339mm and costing $190mm! WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Dune buggys

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, no. Captain's Yacht personal ground transportation!

23. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Cultural impact isn't completely measured by superior box office gross. The awareness factor and level of publicity of all these movies is about the same, partly evident in how much content has been written about them. The Avengers franchise is so far less impacting than the Pirates of the Caribbean and Twilight films, and the box office take of Star Trek Into Darkness has impacted well enough for more of a franchise future than was left after Superman Returns, Prometheus, Oz: The Great and Powerful, to name a few. It's not a "flop", but all these movies are still just disposable commodities that aren't that significant either way. People look forward to them, see them, buy or rent them almost passively, and don't care too much either way. If all these movies came out twenty years ago when this obsessive daily numbers crunching by simple movie viewers wasn't common, their success and potential for more sequels would appear just the same to moviegoers.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I think "disposable" about sums it up, especially when it comes to foreign box office. I think the majority of the non-English-speaking world doesn't want to see American films for the characters, story, or anything the film is trying to say (see: a movie like Battleship making over $200,000,000 overseas).* It also helps that Avengers and especially Iron Man 3 were heavily marketed to Chinese audiences to the point of shameless pandering.

*Don't get me wrong, American audiences also eat this **** up. I just get the feeling that American cinema is typically stereotyped (with the help of Hollywood's marketing) as churning out Transformers-esque borefests and that's the way dem fer'ners like it.
    It's called the Argo, apparently. So the whole time I was thinking "Argo **** yourself."

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.