main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

There should definitely not be any Fett. That dude is dead. Bringing him back would just be hacky

Echo-07 and mavjade like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I should've noted in my earlier post that in no way do I endorse the idea of the Fetts being in the ST. They're dead. It's time to flesh-out how vicious and awesome the Mandalorian race is.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That's actually a small part of what makes me want to see Fett in a post-ROTJ feature film (whether it be in the ST, or a stand-alone). The chance to finally put the question of his survival to rest, once and for all, is much too tempting an opportunity to pass up (even if it's just something simple in the ST, like Fett's appearance in the ANH SE).

See, to me, I have no problem accepting that Boba's survival is officially canon, and generally speaking, I've really enjoyed what the EU has done with the character over the years. I also understand those who feel the films are the only story that matters to them, and may not think Boba ever got out of the pit (even if personally, given his armor and weaponry, I don't see any reason he could not have fought his way free, but that's neither here, nor there).

================

Concerning the post made by mavjade you quoted, this is one of the things I find so interesting with the Mandalorians. Where she sees them as antagonists, potentially working as allies of the Sith, I think I'd like to see the Mandalorians convinced to help the cause of the New Republic, fighting alongside our heroes against the Sith (or whoever the new 'big bad' turns out to be), and the great thing is, either of our ideas, each coming from opposite ends of the spectrum, could realistically be made to work.

I think this type of narrative flexibility is one of the cool things that shows up when one takes the long-view of Mando culture. I could even see some dissention between the various clans/factions, arguing which side of the struggle would be better suited for the Mando's to join, before the Mand'alor rallies his troops to the cause.

Now, personally, I'd make Boba the Mand'alor in such a scene, as it would harmonize with the present canon and my stance on the EU is that I prefer it be followed when at all possible. That said, for me, a well-done story is always the first priority, and I wouldn't want to see the writers handcuffed in any way. I'll just leave it at that, as I can see that I'm starting to drift off-topic, but in closing, "yes, give us some Mandalorians, please."

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fenn Shysa's Mandos certainly fit the bill. Or even Boba's, toward the end of the Vong War.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I could see it going the other way, and now that you mention it and I think about it, I could enjoy them being good guys as well... or even just neutral. I think my immediate feeling on Mandalorians is that they are 'bad guys' but I think that's more my feeling of Boba Fett than anything.

The reason I think they might be on the 'bad side' would be that they -as others have pointed out- are a group I can see other than Sith being an impressive advisary for the Jedi, a way to balance out the power issue a little bit.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Agree with this. Fenn hated the Empire, and Boba worked with the New Republic/Galactic Alliance multiple times during the Vong/2nd Galactic Wars. Not to say Boba should be in the ST, but I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if he did...

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If it is honrable and worthy of them, they will help. And it's pretty likely fighting the galaxy's greatest evils is considered worthy.

9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, I agree. Jango v. Obi-Wan could be viewed as just a taste of what we could expect, should this be an avenue the filmmakers wished to explore. =P~

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's been some hints that Mando armour may be powered (though it looks a bit small and with too much cloth and not enough plate for that)- still, maybe we could get something akin to the Starship Troopers novel?

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If they did appearn, it would be really interesting to see what they do with their armors. I'm a great fan of the earlier Mandalorian armor models, as portrayed in the Exar Kun comics. Each looks like it was custom built and there's quite a lot of diversity, not just a new paint scheme.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I like a little bit of diversity, too; the Mandalorians in TOR are great for this because there are at least five different models of Mandalorian armor, and that's not counting if you mix-match helmets, breastplates, gloves, etc. And then you still have color.

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    This thread is making me want to go back to my Bounty Hunter in SWTOR.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Me too, only with SWTOR doesn't work properly :_|

I don't think Mando armour is powered, why does it need to be when it's made of the Star Wars version of Adamantium? Old Republic Mandos could have casually walked towards enemy lines with their arms by their sides while blaster fire reigned down in them from all sides, because it would just bounce off. How do you think they were winning despite being outnumbered?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Can't tell me something like that wouldn't rock on-screen. Now I'm off to play SWTOR! /taunting

;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Can you elaborate on this? I haven't read the novel and I'm not taking your meaning.

I'm interested in where the ST will generally take the outfits, architecture, technologies, etc., anyway, but yes, with the armor holding the place it does in Mandalorian culture, I'd be very interested in seeing what kind of advancements we could potentially see.

And though I could see the passing years bringing some standardization to Mandalorian armor, I'm with you that some variance, beyond just the use of color, would be nice.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    This pic from Wookieepedia was my source:

[​IMG]
    Orbital drop, lots of jumping around- blasts with flamers, firing of small nukes, etc.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Boba's armour might be powered, since it isn't made of Beskar and therefore not indestructible. He would need many more things to keep him safe than traditional Mandos did.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even Beskar isn't immune to lightsabers- but a blow that will cleave a person in half only leaves a small gouge on Beskar- you'd probably need to press and hold if you wanted to get through.

Also, it might be deformable even if it's hard to penetrate- so you could have a really strong monster crumple the armour with the person inside, without actually perforating it.

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be nice to see a heavier version of the Mandalorian Armor, something along the lines of good ol' power armor.
    Something along the lines of Brotherhood of Steel power armor from the Fallout series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Heavy armor is great for protection, of course, but I also think it's important to try to retain some flexibility, so as not to deny a Mandalorian his or her agility, too. Striking this type of balance, while maintaining some semblance of the look and feel of the traditional Mandalorian aesthetic (to say nothing of the weaponry) would be the challenge.

Boy, it sure could be fun to see the filmmakers play with this, huh? :)

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As the protagonist of Starship Troopers puts it:

Two thousand pounds of it, maybe, in full kit - yet the very first time you are fitted into one you can immediately walk, run, jump, lie down, pick up an egg without breaking it (takes a trifle of practice, but anything improves with practice, dance a jig (if you can dance a jig, that is, without a suit) - and jump right over the house next door and come down to a feather landing.
    While off the ground in a jump, you can get a range & bearing, pick a target, talk & receive, fire a weapon, reload, decide to jump again without landing and override the automatics to cut in the jets again. You can do all of these things in one bounce, with practice.

But in general, powered armor doesn't require practice; it simply does it for you, just the way you were doing it, only better. All but one thing- you can't scratch where it itches. If I ever find a suit that will let me scratch between my shoulder blades, I'll marry it.

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    True, what you say about agility and such but we may well be introduced to a Mandalorian who prefers a different approach, sacrificing mobility for sheer firepower and endurance.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You could melt it, but I don't think you could crush it. Remember Jango Fett got run over by a Reek in AOTC and got straight back up again then head-shotted it. That is arguably the equivalent of me being run over by a Rhino and surviving, so any other person would have died. But Jango's armour protected him, so it's damn tough.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I was thinking more "jaws of the Zillo Beast" than "foot of a bull-sized animal"- still, that scene does suggest crush-resistance.