main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Technology in PT more advanced than technology in OT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jun 3, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've heard this, but I don't see it. Is this true, and if it is, could someone provide examples?

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think people think this because of the starfighters mainly. Slave I looks way more shiny and technological in the PT than the OT, for example. Compared to the dingy X-Wings (and let's face it, even all the TIEs looked beat up), the Jedi starfighters, ARC-170s, and Vulture droids, look at least 50 years advanced. And besides that, the Vulture droid brings up another point. If a starfighter can pilot itself...why not do that with all ships? I personally do not buy into any of these reasons...but I can see why they are used.

kainee likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well for one, the PT was filmed 20 years later, that's gotta count for something. The hologram dashboards in the PT look like fully realized 3D images, while Luke's computer display in ANH looked like a game of Pong on an Atari.

Andy Wylde, kainee and darth ladnar like this.
  4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    In the OT they are living in a dictatorship, a society in decline.

5. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Exactly. Besides, it's not like we're seeing the nicest places in the OT, so of course the tech isn't going to look very sophisticated.

kainee likes this.
  6. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    A lot of the tech we see is owned by the rebellion who are not exactly financially able to buy the same stuff which the state funded republic clone troopers were able to utilise

Sent via my astromech droid

kainee and timmoishere like this.
  7. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Agree with all above. In a galaxy that has had so many thousands of years worth of technology improvement, I'm sure there were also times when technology actually went backwards, for a period of time. Particularly in the society that the Empire created. I think it's entirely plausible that the OT was just set in a time where technology in the galaxy was stagnant - I can't imagine that the economic conditions under the empire would have been the greatest for innovation and development of new technology.

Plus, I agree with thefinalhack above - the rebellion probably didn't have the greatest amounts of money to buy first class fighters. I always refer to the speeders on Hoth, which are malfunctioning constantly, and have consoles that look like 1950's car radios.

kainee likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would, however, assume that Imperial military technology continued to advance.

Anyway, what is it about the Empire that would hold technology back?

9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The Empire purposely keeps the new tech away from most of its population in order to ensure they have an advantage in case a crisis happens. Of course, this didn't stop the Rebels from winning a few battles, but the reason the Rebellion was able to achieve its very few victories is because the Empire, with all of its vast technological advances, was way too overconfident, not to mention the Rebel Alliance had a very powerful force user on their side and some of the best star pilots in the entire galaxy.

10. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well some differences that I've noticed.

The PT has a fair amount of touch panels while the OT is more buttons and knobs.
    Computer displays are more primitive in the OT, both on the rebel side and the imperial side.
    Same thing with holograms.
    The DS plans in ANH are much more primitive than the plans in AotC and they are plans for the same thing.
    Hand held weapons, the PT has some rapid fire weapons but those seem to be missing in the OT.
    Other weapons, targeting missiles, Jango had a missile that did a good job of going after a small, one man fighter. If the DS had a few of those then the rebels would not have had a chance. We also see missiles in AotC and they do a pretty good job on armor, far better than the blasters the rebels have in ESB.
    Droids with personal shields, that would come in handy in fights.

Some of this more advance tech is seen on Tatooine, which isn't really the major tech planet in the galaxy.
    And it hasn't been that long, less than 20 years. Why would the empire go around and remove all advanced displays and replace them with inferior versions? Make no sense and is a waste of time and money.
    I have no problem with the rebels stuff looking old and used, they have to use what they can find. But then what would make the most sense is that they have the stuff seen in the PT while the empire has even more advanced things. That makes more sense, the Empire keep new things to itself and the rest of the galaxy has to make do with what they already have. And speaking about the empire, since Palpatines plan seemed to be to eventually get rid of the senate and rule through force and fear, the empire would want to research new and more advanced weapons.

I also have no problem with differences in design, the PT stuff is more sleek and graceful while the ISD's are big, crude and intimidating.
    Design is always changing and the imperial design is meant to scare and intimidate.

Lastly, the empire came into being in RotS yes, but it was not until ANH that they took total control of the galaxy. At the start of ANH, the senate still existed and still had some power. So why would the empire antagonize the population needlessly by going around and confiscating their advanced stuff and giving them inferior models instead?

11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It's not like the Empire confiscated technology, they just purposely held back new technology from the populace, probably telling the populace that its for their own safety, much like countries in real life do today.

12. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes but not letting people have NEW technology wouldn't make people get OLDER technology as a result. It would only mean that peoples technology would not change or improve.

Take today and flat-screen TV's. Lets say that there is a new break-trough in TV technology but some government keeps all this from the population.
    After ten or so years, would people a) still have their flat screen TV's or b) have the thicker TV's from the early 80's?
    I would say a) unless the government also somehow forces people to replace their flat screen TV's with these older models.

Or say that the tech behind flat-screen TV's was kept secret, would that mean that people would go back to old black and white TV's instead of keeping their normal TV sets?

Suppressing new tech wouldn't make current tech regress. For that to happen, you need more.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The only drastically different example I can think of is Naboo. And their starfighters and starships seemed representative of their specific culture. By the accounts given in the movie, it seemed they lacked firepower, and were not adequately prepared for actual battles. They seemed to be mostly for looks. Had it not been for Anakin's luck, they would have been wiped out.

My point is, just because they look newer, doesn't mean they're more advanced.

Though one of the strangest cases of new vs. old is Jango Fett and Boba Fett. Jango has steamline, metallic armor, while Boba thinks it's a good idea to repaint that it in flat earthy tones.

kainee likes this.
  14. man of steel

man of steel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    itys a simple answer really they arent more advanced lucas wanted a rome feel before the crumble i like it honesly

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I always figured Boba repainted before the OT but didn't continue to due so and the paint got worn and chipped by the time of ANH. There's also the possibility that Boba likes the "gritty" look.

16. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Technology gets lost in the societal decay. Rome had advanced engineering skills, indoor plumbing, etc. and it was lost in the dark ages.

kainee and darth ladnar like this.
  17. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I always figured he found another set of armor and it was simply a different style or era.

Does anyone think Boba kept his father's armor? That's kind of creepy, to scoop the head out of the helmet and wear it, and to peel your father's headless corpse out of the uniform... I think I'm going to heave.

kainee and darth ladnar like this.
  18. CrashTheHedgehog100

CrashTheHedgehog100 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
    Because the Empire is a dictatorship?

Some of the comics that take place shortly after Episode 3 show that some of the technology is banned/destroyed because there was too much rebellion towards the beginning of the Empire's rule.

Still, it goes to show you that they leave the EU to fix a lot of stuff that could have been mentioned in the films. Then again, the order they made the films is the problem.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Boba wanted to blend in. What would stick out more? A rugged, dented suit or a shiny suit?

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I always figured he found another set of armor and it was simply a different style or era.

Does anyone think Boba kept his father's armor? That's kind of creepy, to scoop the head out of the helmet and wear it, and to peel your father's headless corpse out of the uniform... I think I'm going to heave.[/quote]
    Come to think of it, I'm not sure what they intended (though the EU says he just repainted it). The helmet dent may have just been a homage to the original suit, but they do seem like two different materials (as well as the lack of leg armor on Boba's suit).

And I'm sure funeral arrangements in such a high tech world would make it so a 12 year old wouldn't have to take care of his father's corpse. Not that it matters, but Jango's head was not in the helmet, as you can briefly see something flying out of the helmet, mainly through the shadows.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the books, he has the armour resized to fit him during the Clone Wars (he'd probably have to resize it back as he got bigger though).

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    not more advanced. all we see in the OT are war machine's and freighter's, and we didn't see the controls of the ships that much anyway.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    There is some example of tech advancing mainly with the Empire. Their captial ships get bigger, They have the ability to make superweapons like the death star's laser. The PT starfighters also generally lack shields and hyperdrives, excepting the tie fighters of the empire the OT starfighters, Vaders and the rebel one all have hyperdrives and there own shields. The lack of droid fighters in the armies is of the OT is due to prejuidices left over from the clone wars.The Rebellion looks low tech but is actually using mostly clone wars tech. Y-wings were seen in the Clone wars cartoon and they are bright and shiny new then(and include a second bubble cockpit for a gunner) but are by ANH beat up.

24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Instead of heaving, try taking a closer look at their respective armor.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The theory is that the OT society is a society in decay, whereas the PT is a society in its prime. It's a bit of a test for suspension of disbelief though. Especially with regard to the Empire's gear.