main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd love to see a scene where you have like 10 guys with blasters unloading on one Mando who advances on them while all the shots bounce of then just calmly guns them all down.

Or one has something collapse on them and then breaks out of the wreckage, that would showcase them as being seriously tough guys to take down and increase their threat.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be about time to see armors in SW actually be good for something.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure it would happen though, the EU seems to vary greatly when it comes to the strength of Mando armour. We may well just get TCW Death Watch style Mandos who are awesome combatants with nifty gadgets and jetpacks but go down like any common punk in a shootout.

Beskar should be able to take anything short of a point-blank range photon torpedo without much more than a dent, so we need far more durable Mandos.

4. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    And I'd add to that list more durable troopers. Have that armor actually stop something sometime.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Would help if you had enemy troopers not wear plastic armour, at least the Fetts had metal plates covering their bodies.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Scene like this would be pure epic. Not even sure if there was something like it in the KT novels. The only thing that compares is when Jaina accidentally tries to decapitate Boba and her saber bounces off his neck guard, or when a Jedi tried to skewer Kal Skirata and all that happened was a new furrow in his armor.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    No. That would be a foolish idea. It'll only serve to make them into Karen Traviss-type Mandalorians(aka Mary Sue Mandalorians). We don't need any Mando Sues. That said, I wouldn't mind a Mando taking down ten people with blasters through skill and what-not, but he has to be a Mando with lots of experience.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    As long as they're not ultimate Libertariklingons obsessed with getting married, weeping, and talking about how cool their farms/super-advanced starfighter factories are.

Jedi Merkurian and Slash78 like this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If it's accurate to how they are supposed to be, then I don't what the issue is. If they wear near-indestructible armour, they need to be able to take major punishment normal soldiers can't.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    It's super plastic enchanced with special materials from the planet Buzarrooo.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Boba's was durasteel at least in some periods, rather than Beskar.

Interestingly, there's a real Durasteel - which is steel + fireproof cement.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Even Durasteel should be blaster-proof, isn't it the same stuff starship hulls are made of? Most people can't damage starships with standard weapons.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Starships have deflectors though. In the Millennium Falcon Manual book, it says that the deflectors strengthen the hull at the molecular level.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Blaster-proof, yes. But if we're comparing durasteel and beskar'gam, then durasteel molded into personal armor might take, oh, a half clip of ammo before its wearer was seriously injured (just throwing out a random number), while beskar'gam should be able to take three, four clips before the wearer sustains injury. Bruised after a few shots, yes. Down and out? Not a chance.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It does explain how Fett was able to be so successful though. Given most people would struggle against multiple armed enemies or have to hide in cover during a shootout, Fett could take several direct shots and just shoot back while enemies are going "WTF?"

And that's forgetting the fact he has so much advanced tech he is essentially a cross between Iron Man & Predator.

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    There is so much potential in the new SW movies. I would like to see Deathwatch back doing something warriorlike. Mandalore would be a good place to visit (depicted well in TCW).

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh yes, because in a universe where warrior monk superhero knights that wield cut-through-anything laser swords can also manipulate the power of the cosmos to do anything―from shooting lightning from their hands to moving ships with their mind―it's the non-powered people who use their wits, hard-earned martial ability, and specialized technology to compete who are the Sues. Riiight.

[​IMG]

But then again, the term "Mary Sue" really has degenerated into a meaningless catch-all for "Character(s) I don't like" so...what can you do?

18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I don't want the Sequel Trilogy anywhere near Mandalore.

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, getting real tired of that phrase.
    What, are people no longer supposed to write badass characters?
    Let's have a new trilogy focused on completely ordinary people in GFFA, like the thrill of going to the space supermarket and working 9 to 5 in Coruscant's mid-level administrative sector. Would that be enough "non Mary Sue" for people?

Indeed, let's completely get rid of all characters and have ST just be 6 hours of iTunes graphic visualizer with the music muted out.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn was another character that sprung to mind- he didn't use the Force, he used his brain.

Luke beating a bunch of stormtroopers with his brain rather than the Force, in Heir to the Empire, is still one of my favourite Luke moments.

21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Personally, I thought the stuff they did with Death Watch in TCW was totally disrespectful to the legacy of Boba Fett. Some of the cool stuff we saw them do while flying around with the jet packs should have been saved for Boba in a spin-off. I feel like they watered down the bad-assery of Boba by showing others in the armor doing cool stuff. Boba Fett was a surprise hit and have a great cult following.

Just me.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The only thing that bugged me about the Mandos in TCW was how easily they died. They would have shootouts and then get hit and fall down, they are suppoed to be blaster-proof even if they don't have true beskar. They don't die like droids or Stormtroopers, they are better than that.

Some people seem to object to the idea of Jedi being killed by a non Force-user, I don't see the issue with this. The Mandalorians are the toughest race in the galaxy after Jedi & Sith, they should be able to showcase it without people complaining. I've not read Traviss' stuff, but it seems like this is why most people complain about her work.

Circular_Logic and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the main reason for complaints was her conclusion that the clones are slaves (based on statements made by another Star Wars author- Ryan Kaufman- to her), and that the Jedi, being complicit, have no moral high ground to occupy.

So she created a Mandalorian subculture which (she thought) had some moral high ground compared with the Jedi.

Which led to much hating of it- and then much flamewarring on both sides.

24. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Never read any of her stuff, love the Mandos from what I know of them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Jedi being killed by a non Force-user. The Jedi aren't gods, they aren't all-powerful. One stray blaster bolt is enough to end their life, just as good as anyone's.

It makes zero sense to have someone complain about Mandalorians being overpowered or "Mary Sues", yet want the Jedi to stay overpowered and be unkillable except by other Force wielders.

Mia Mesharad and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I read Karen's Republic Commando novels years back, and I agree that she made out the Mandolorians to be more "human" than the jedi. Clones were also characterized as very similar to slaves, and there were numerous times where the Jedi seemed detached and evil in her stories. Coupled with the fact that her Mandolorians pretty much bum rushed jedi and killed them, I can see why people disliked the Traviss Mandolorians.

However, I did like their culture. I don't like the idea of Mandolorians having "normal" jobs like being a lawyer or scientist (aspects Satine emphasized), and the normal life of a Mandolorian as Karen explained it seemed just right. They were farmers, small business owners, and just simple woodsmen and townsfolk when at home. Family and Brotherhood was emphasized, and their violence came out in battle. Their culture may not have made them an economic powerhouse, but the one thing that kept them from Galactic affairs, I think, was the fact that despite having skilled warriors, they had no Mandolore to lead them.