main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The prominent female character

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    So in Ewoks we had Princess Kneesaa, Droids had a new prominent female character for each of the three story arcs, the original Clone Wars had Padme and the latest Clone Wars had Ahsoka and to a lesser extent Padme. In Rebels, who will it be? With Filoni heading this project, it could be someone all new like Ahsoka was in his Clone Wars series, but there are a few potential candidates who we already know were active during this time period. I guess Leia could be the one. She is already extremely well known and very marketable for merchandise connected to the show. If the show takes place when she is a baby or toddler, that pretty much nixes her chances, but if she's a teenager, then she's probably a lock for the leading female role. Other lesser know candidates could be Kea Moll or Shira Brie. There are probably many more that I am not familiar with, but these three at least all have established connections to the Rebellion. Of course Ahsoka could appear again, but would it be in a major role? What about the leading bad girl? Should Ventress return? Personally, I hope not. At least not frequently. Maris Brood or Mara Jade could be candidates.
    Any thoughts on our next leading girl?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ventress should return, as often as possible. Ahsoka should not, and Mara Jade definitely should not.

Bo-Katan should return at least for an arc or two; let us see what she does with Mandalore because it is not likely that Maul gets to keep it.

I hope for a new female character though--a feisty badass who is fun and entertaining to watch and a good leader (but don't have the other characters talk about what a good leader she is, let the viewers decide that on our own).

Leia...I love her, she's one of my top three favorites, but it will depend on the timing of the series. I don't want to see a prodigy kid Leia out-wise-ing the adults.

Grievousdude likes this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    U know I could totally see them just reusing Ashoka. Leia is a possibility but I agree with the poster above do not want to see preteen Leia owning the adults.

Grievousdude and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Mon Mothma, no doubt.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    They could use Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Shaak Ti, Barriss Offee, Mon Mothma, Bo-Katan and Maris Brood, but only a few of them would be good as the prominent female character. Leia could be used if the show is set about 14 or more years after ROTS, then she'd be old enough to be the queen of Alderaan, like Padme in TPM.

6. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think younger teen Leia would be the perfect main character. She'll definitely have less OP qualities than Ahsoka just by design because she's not a Jedi and never exhibits her force-sensitivity. She uses blasters instead, and maybe because of that, I find her incredibly tough/cooler than many lightsaber-wielding chars.

7. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I would love to see Leia as the main female character. It would be a great opportunity to see how she comes to grow into the leader we know and love. Not to mention she's been incredibly badass in the recent Shadow of Yavin comic series (without ever being over the top like Ahsoka was at times) so it would be awesome to see Rebels continue this portrayal on screen.

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Mon Mothma is likely the one.

Leia is a preteen kid. Not that that stopped her dad from taking down that Lucrehulk at 9, but it was a fluke and shouldn't set a trend.

Ventress would be great, but I doubt they have the cojones to make her a full on hero.

Ahsoka isn't suitable because she was so prominent in TCW, she needs to take a back seat in Rebels, if she is in it at all.

Daala and Isard are Imperials...

Shaak Ti is hiding out on Felucia.

Bo-Katan Kryze is a possibility. I'm not sure if she would align with the Empire or rebel against it.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  9. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    If they set if 5 years before ANH then Leia does make a logical choice for the "Ahsoka like" character. As with TCW they will want a juvenile character, most likely a lead, in the story (for the kiddies to identify with).

Problem with Leia is that even up to the beginning of ANH she had played the "Mercy Mission" or "Diplomatic Mission" card to explain her movements. If she's blasting Stormtroopers and blowing up Imperial bases then it makes it a little obvious she's a Rebel.

While I think there is a really, really good chance Ahsoka will appear (not sure if it's a good idea or not), but I definitelythink there will be an "Ahsoka-like" character thrown in out of nowhere.

And if it's some 15 y/o redhead...then it's a trap!

10. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What if she just doesn't let witnesses get away? Yeah. Leah was a lot more grimdark than we thought, eh?

"I know those guns... it's the Tantive!"

"The Tantive Four? I've heard stories... she's been preying on ships and outposts for near 10 years... never leaves any survivors"

Sarge likes this.
  11. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It all depends on when this series will be set. If its just after ROTS then Ahsoka...

If its later on closer to ANH, then Leia should be the main character...

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One of the Empire comics has Leia saving the life of an Imperial about three weeks prior to ANH. That would be interesting to put in the series. She could be a main character closer to that time, and the show could have her doing undercover missions for the Rebellion while pretending to be on "mercy missions."

They could not do several seasons of that, though, one or two seasons at the most.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Mon Mothma is a senator. Ditto for Leia pre-ANH. Leading roles in an action series? I hope not. The political episodes in TCW were horrible with forced action. Senators getting beat up to intimidate them for votes, one member of a delagation poisoning another, etc. The OT never showed any politics... you never even met Mon Mothma until the ROTJ Death Start 2 assault briefing. The PT kept the politics to a bare minimum... a few short scenes of Senate activity but very minimal. I can't fathom Rebels being Star Wars' answer to C-Span.

Since this thread said "prominent", and not lead, then I guess Mon Mothma would be prominent like Padme was prominent. But remember that TCW failed any time they tried to make Padme a lead in the story. Why? Because it was silly and looked forced to see a Republic Senator Padme grab a blaster and get into action scenes (Mandalore corruption episode anyone?) in a series about Jedi trained since birth, Clones bred to battle, and droids designed for war. Leave the action scenes to the action heroes. If the series has a prominent female action character it seems likely that it would be Ahsoka or else someone new or unexpected getting elevated to the spotlight.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually liked Padme grabbing a blaster, ditto with Bail Organa. Padme grabs a blaster a lot in TPM (and to some extent in AOTC), and she was a much, much, much better character there than she was in ROTS, when she was reduced to crying in her nightgown. (No, pregnancy is not an excuse for that drastic a personality change, I've been there and done that twice.)

I agree that the political episodes of TCW were not the best, but I definitely like the idea of Padme and the other politicians being able to defend themselves.

Absolutely no damsels in distress in Rebels. Please and thank you.

My highest-ranked TCW episodes were the ones with little to no Ahsoka so I certainly hope they don't elevate her further into the spotlight in Rebels. But there are plenty of other leftover female characters from TCW that they could use, all badasses, and they could also introduce a new female lead if they can somehow tie her into the OT or seal her fate prior to then.

themetresgained likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    anakinfansince1983 Why no Mara Jade? I'd love to see Palpatine's early treatment of her, how she develops and what seeds were planted during this time that will push her to eventually reject the dark side. Mara is the anti-Zannah, so I'm curious why anyone wouldn't want to see such a person in this show.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't stand the way she has been written in the EU books. Similar to the way I see Ahsoka written in the later seasons of TCW: the Can Do No Wrong character (or even when she does do wrong, it's somehow acceptable because of X or Y or Z) whom the other characters stand around and fawn over. The only time I've ever liked Mara is when she meets Luke and threatens to disintegrate R2.

It also makes no sense whatsoever to me that Luke would fall in love with and marry a woman whose mission when they met was to murder him. There's getting off on the wrong foot, and then there's that.

If they were to actually write her differently I might be able to get on board, but the catch-22 is that if they were to write her differently, the Mara fans would protest that she'd been retconned.

17. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Barriss Offee.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I could see Leia in the show.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Mon Mothma is going to be the backbone of the rebellion, Leia might take a role like Ahsoka in TCW in the later years of the Dark Time.

As for Imperial, I think Isard will be the important one.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nothing wrong with having Mara Jade in the show

21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    There will be no characters from the books, comics, or videogames. Only characters from films and TV.

As such, Ahsoka and Leia will make appearances (or one or the other, if the timeline is centered farther toward one end or the other). But the most likely possibility is that there will be an original creation, along the same lines as Steela. Though there need to be strong female characters, using Ventress to fill a primary role would send a negative message due to her initial "bad guy" association. Star Wars is all about simple morality, so virtue and vice are magnified; because of that precedent, a strong female character might be more saccharine and virtuous than she would be in another franchise. Yes, people might talk about why that person is admirable, but part of that is the social responsibility of the show, showing male characters clearly demonstrating respect toward women for the benefit of younger generations who are being influenced by these shows (because there's only so much subtext kids pick up, and sometimes they need it pointed out to them). Personally, I don't care if that breaks immersion for a grown-up; it's more important than that.

It's actually a very, very common and well-established trope in adventure/genre fiction (and I don't say trope with a negative connotation; undercutting tropes is for new franchises, not Star Wars).

22. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Mon Mothma seems like a good choice. Depending on when this show is set, we could see Leia and Mara Jade, but I don't want to see too much of Leia, as she is already featured heavily in the films, and this show is a great opportunity to explore other characters. I would like to see Bo-Katan and Ahsoka for an arc or two, but not as main characters. I also want to see what happens to Ventress.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    For about five minutes in the first episode.

This scene also involves a courtyard, a backstop wall, a post, and six clones with matched rifles.

So passes Offee the Betrayer.

And a million Barriss fans cried out in horror, and cried themselves to sleep.

Is that too grimdark for Disney?

24. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Proof?

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that we see a child being hanged in Pirates of the Caribbean III, probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.