main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A "good" Sith sense being? I'm curious.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd say the closest thing to a "good Sith" is a focused Sith. One that has their eyes set on the prize, of destroying the Jedi and taking over the galaxy (mwahahaha), rather than carving out a small piece of it and spending all your time fighting with your siblings. All Sith are crazy. It's the crazy ones with an agenda you really need to be wary of.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I suppose, but in that sense Sidious really is top dog isn't he? Trying to out-do that is a hiding to nothing so I can see why JJM took a different route for KE.

Plus it could be said the focused Sith only exist when they're not on top, as what happened to Sidious once he got UNLIMITED POWAH? He went nuts - see Dark Empire!

So it may be Vilia, Odion and Daiman are simply the Sith, in their natural state, shorn of any deceit or pretension?

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Daiman would naturally commend himself for his own genius in successfully deceiving his sibling rivals into going along with the little game that he had set up, which he had carried out so artfully that he had even nearly convinced himself that it was Villia's idea when, of course, it was really his.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, I'm very glad JJM didn't go for a more traditional Sith as the antagonists for the series (though he may have been getting there with Vilia, we'll never know). In fact, I'd say KE only enhances the Jedi vs Sith comic, as we see first hand just how far the Sith have devolved from conquering to petty bickering. It makes them unique villains.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that, while Odion and Daiman are in many ways children, they're exceedingly dangerous children. A child playing with the detonator for a nuclear bomb is more dangerous than any army. They can still be threats to the Republic and everyone in it, even if they obviously have a few screws loose. The galaxy is their playground, after all.

I can agree with the assessment, though, that Odion and Daiman can be considered Sith with the bull**** cut out. Without the faux moral code. Without the discipline. They aim much lower than people like Bane and Sidious, but they don't care; they get their own personal star systems, after all.

6. scnjedi

scnjedi Jedi Knight

Jul 16, 2009
  7. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that, too. I still want to blame Dark Horse's mini-series approach, though, so I'm going to irrationally decide that if Knight Errant were an ongoing, JJM would have been more committed to the regular work.

I just got the Escape TPB myself, and I loved it, aside from Kerra's overly tight shirt. Really, KE has been getting steadily better since the first volume, which I found mediocre. The novel did a much better job showcasing the setting and era, while Deluge started a great focus on Kerra's actual character. Escape hit on all cylinders, and I'm sad that it's all we're getting. I feel like Escape is the foundation that the rest of the whole series should be building on, rather than serving as an ending.

8. scnjedi

scnjedi Jedi Knight

Jul 16, 2009
    He did say he'd like to do more some day, so I am forever in hope. Looking forward to Kenobi as well, the Knight Errant novel was great.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    JJM has been talking of a shift to more creator-owned work.

If that's the case here then it' good for him and bad for SW.

10. scnjedi

scnjedi Jedi Knight

Jul 16, 2009
    There'll always be people ready to step up and write in the GFFA. I'm excited to see what JJM does with his own stuff.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True, but JJM has a real knack for creating cool characters.

12. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If you really want to use an analogy, then add a flavor of Star Wars to it! :)

Appropriately, Sidious is the top frog dog.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Uh... What? [face_dunno]

14. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  15. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    "Bib Fartuna"!! That **** is awesome.

LAJ edit - that word has to be asterisked out.

16. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    So Legacy Hardcover Volume 1 came out today it looks like. Does anyone know for sure what issues are collected?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ought to be 1-18.

18. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    I'm thinking that too, though wondering if they threw in 0 or something. My copy will be coming Saturday, so I guess I'll know for sure then

19. johnwelles

johnwelles Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013
    I hope this isn't a really stupid question, but does anybody have any idea of the size of the hardcover vol 1 collection of the Legacy saga? As Amazon doesn't seem to be listing it. If they reprint it at the same size as the TPB collections, I'd be all over them like a flash!

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It's 6" x 9", slightly smaller than TPB:s and the same size as the Omnibuses and The Thrawn Trilogy, The Dark Empire and The Crimson Empire hardcovers. http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-428/Star-Wars-Legacy-Book-1-HC,

21. johnwelles

johnwelles Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013

22. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    By the way, it does include Legacy 1-19 and 1/2.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  24. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    I think they might even pack them into just 3 hardcovers, considering one of the TPBs was half Legacy and Half Rebellion. But yeah, that's the main reason I buy these kinds of things. It's also way cheaper in a lot of cases to buy the one Omnibus or Hardcover than it is to track down all the TPBs that make one up.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubtful, the Legacy part of Vector was 4 issues which is a standard TPB size on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.