main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC God Exists.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jun 3, 2013.

?

God Exists.

1. yes

40.5%
  2. no

31.7%
  3. nnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

17.5%
  4. dunno

27.8%
  5. no curr

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Or they just decided not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's definitely possible to believe in God and be intelligent. I do, however, question the intelligence of those who accept anything at face value because "My minister says so" or "X verse in the Bible says so."

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think people are much more likely to accept it at face value because they were raised in an environment of unquestioning belief from birth and because of the social expectations that they continue to adhere to those beliefs into adulthood. Tradition and family and community matter to people. And so they believe what they need to believe to be accepted members of the group.

4. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    That's different than being intelligent and deciding to believe something because you believe it to be true, though.

I likened it to learning a language when I was talking to my girlfriend about this. As an (hopefully) intelligent, educated person, I've chosen to believe in a "supernatural" or "spiritual" realm of the universe. The language I was given to understand this part of existence is "Christianity". That language has flaws and doesn't adequately express reality for me, so I'm in the process of learning a new language. But the fact that I find meaningful truth in the old language I've been taught doesn't make me uneducated or unintelligent, and it doesn't mean I'm just trying to fit in with a social group. It's simply a matter of where I find truth, and how that truth is expressed.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Over a decade ago I worked in a credit union and right across from me eveyr day was a very intelligent girl who litterally "phhhhhhht" at the ToE. She was sensible, smart, and logical. But to her, in just one brief sentence on a topic never brought up again she scoffed at ToE.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I guess what I'd want to see is statistics on the numbers of educated people who have come to Christianity in adulthood after having been raised in a relatively religion-free family environment. My children have been exposed to all the Christian traditions: catholic christmas and Easter masses, protestant religious services, not to mention a host of bar mitvahs and Passover observances. I have not yet heard them say: I really find these religions appealing, and there is an element of truth in them that I feel compelled to explore. And keep in mind that I do not share my opinions about religion with them, nor have they asked me for them, in which case of course I would give them an honest and complete answer.

This is really new ground because there have been so few generations of Americans raised in religion-free home environments so far. Western Europe is far ahead of us on this as Superwatto noted. There Christianity is well on its way to extinction along with, unfortunately, western Europeans themselves. Christians breed a bit faster in North America, that's for sure.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    p crazy, yo

8. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm with you on that. I'd be interested to see that too.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is true.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's the only thing really missing in western culture - multiple generations of people raised in environments where some version of Christianity isn't taken for granted as a part of daily existence. That's one of the reasons I believe for the increasing urban-rural political rift in the U.S. The educated secular population has moved to the big cities where they are living happy atheistic lives to an increasing extent, while the rural parts of the country remain mired in ignorance and superstition even as they continue to depopulate.

11. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I think the real mistake people make is equating religious belief with personal acceptance of the truth of various propositions about the world. Most intelligent Christians that I have seen use "biblical infallibility" and whatnot as terms of art, as a MORAL stance.

They emotionally identify with Christianity in a powerful, personal way (almost in the way that nerd identifies with his favorite fictional universe or a sports fan with his favorite football team), and thus the notion of its sensu proprio truth or falsity is near completely irrelevant, although when asked they would, of course, assert that they believed in its truth absolutely.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I split my time in my childhood between a protestant denomination where that was certainly often the case (southern Baptist) and one where it really was not (United Methodist). Clearly the Methodists have struggled mightily for being too urbane and wordly a denomination to coexist and compete successfully in the kind of environment where emotional identification with the faith requires such affirmations of loyalty.

But I guess you're right. Methodists are dying out because that church fails to provide the kind of empty-headed emotional satisfaction so many people seem to crave. The intelligent people are driven away because society no longer demands church membership, and the dumb people are going to where the emotional bang for the buck is biggest. becoming amorphous, denomination-less pseudo Christians who just love Jesus in their heart. or something.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I was raised in a family where my parents didnt force any particular religion on me. They let me find my way. The only time I could say they influenced my decision regarding a religion is my baptism into the LDS church. But I was only 8 and I wasn't exactly going to rail against organized religion at that age. But really from about 10 into my early 30's, I was a deist at heart. Couldn't believe the personal stories about God. They all seemed based on pure emotion.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The LDS church must be one of the hardest places on earth for smart people to be stuck in, with all that cognitive dissonance caused by The Dumbest Story Ever Told.

V-2 likes this.
  15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    On the contrary. Mormons are generally attractive go-getters and professionally successful. If anything, they are a validation of what I was saying earlier: theists identify with their religion on a level that goes beyond mere truth or falsity. Mormons take great advantage of collective social effort, and seem very aware of doing so.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I think we're in agreement. Adherence to a religion is just one price of admission into certain communities. People pay the price because it's the price everyone pays, and comes with all the ancillary benefits of membership in the community. The goal of the first world, however, should be to develop more of those kinds of communities where religion is not one of the prices of membership, as it is in the Netherlands where Superwatto lives or in upper middle class suburban Chicago where I live.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

thankfully, shane didnt have that problem

harpuah likes this.
  18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Those would be interesting statistics. I suspect a large majority of those people would have had some kind of trauma in their lives, were manic depressives or they found Jesus whilst in prison.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't realise western Europeans were going extinct. Sad times. :(

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wasn't indoctrinated.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm a dinosaur. Somebody is digging my bones.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Dig this bone, daddio.

Arawn_Fenn and Jabbadabbado like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [obligatory]Not every believer in God is a member of the Christian faith.[/obligatory]

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    And has been said many times, there have been over 3000 gods worshiped by various cultures since the beginning of recorded history. If any one of them is real, the odds of you selecting the right one are very small.

25. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I mean like, 1 in 3000. those are better odds than the lottery or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.