main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek 5-year Mission] Harrowing Rescue & Recovery Ensemble Cast/OCs. July 4. Chapt11, complete.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, May 29, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: A Harrowing Rescue & Recovery

Author(s) earlybird-obi-wan, who supplied the initial crisis as well as the OCs (medical staff and ensigns) =D= and Jade eyes, so you know there will be mush!!!! In between the cliffies [face_laugh] :)

Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters, with much love.

Note on races etc.

* Arians are long-lived from Aldebaran, with black hair and brown eyes.
    Arian medical staff are: Ker Djarada and a surgeon, Jeran Baldavin.

* Mirana are telepaths with webbed hands and feet, and black or blue hairless skin.
    Mirana medical staff are: Marc Jullio and Jana John.

-----

AN: When going to Ophiuchus 4 to investigate a scientist's disappearance, the away team falls prey to a mysterious infestation; the medicos have to work resourcefully to solve the puzzle.

------

Chapter 1:

"Ms. Aristo disappeared a month ago from Ophiuchus Four. Ms. Ahard, Mr. Ammer, and Mr. Djarada will make up the blance of the away team."

Uhura frowned, as the briefing continued.

She caught McCoy's eye.

She expected the Doctor to voice his customary, and usually ignored, opinion.

He did not disappoint her on this occasion.

"Jim, you really shouldn't go down there until the initial all-clear. If things go south ..."

"Hmmmph." The Captain shrugged it away, as Uhura knew he would. "You're being a pessimist again."

She rolled her eyes.

"You just can't resist a mystery." She teased, half in frustration.

The away team arrived without incident. The natives lived in an urban area about 40 kilometers away and by all reports, didn't seem to be hostile or friendly, neutral unless provoked.

Tricorder readings picked up the scientist's crashed shuttle and her inert body inside.

Nurse Djarada frowned. "She never made it off-ship, or if she returned, didn't survive long enough to log any troublesome event or send a distress beacon out."

Ensign Ammer chimed in: "Natives are approaching. They're in one of their air-cars and will arrive in moments."

"Maybe they can provide some clues?"

Ms. Ahard, whom the Captain noted was very attractive indeed, was a xenobiologist. "There is nothing in the air, although strange readings are coming up in the soil. I cannot quite make out what the nature of it is." She frowned and adjusted a knob and a dial. The explanation was still elusive, but it seemed to relate to a high metallic concentration of some unknown nature.

"We'd better send up samples for a deeper analysis."

"Perhaps it would be best if we returned, just ..." Ammer began.

Suddenly, a shot rang out from a scant foot away.

It was a primitive projectile weapon, but Dion and Ker were injured even as they returned stun fire.

"Everyone, quickly, take cover in the shuttle!"

An emergency call and subsequent attempt at transport was aborted, however, right after Djarada and Ammer arrived.

The engineering staff were stumped.

The two were taken immediately to the Medbay where medical staff attempted to address their wounds, which on the surface seemed superficial.

"There is a residue in the buffer." Lieutenant Davis said. "That's what gummed up the transporter. It's from Ophiuchus, all right."

"That's downright baffling." The Captain observed when informed of the situation.

"Yeah," piped in McCoy, "And when I removed a piece of whatever they shot Ammer with, it's made of this alien metallic stuff as well. He's starting to complain of some queasiness as well as mental disorientation, but Nurse Djarada, oddly enough, is unaffected."

____

TBC

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great beginning.
    I will be busy;)

RX_Sith and Jade_eyes like this.
  3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Yes, great times with great possibilities. :D

earlybird-obi-wan and Jade_eyes like this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, this was a great beginning. I can't wait to see where it goes. :D =D=

5. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    Awesome beginning I will follow along with this tale!

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nice collab! I've very interested to see where this will go.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Chapter 2

Jeran Baldavin had a small smile on his handsome face now partly hidden by a green mask when he saw the chief medical officer coming into the OT. That man had been responsible for drafting him and the patient he was trying to save in the service of the medical corps.

“Nurse Jana John told me that the Arian needed some help.”

Jeran grinned when he heard McCoy saying Arian. The word a’ar’ian was too difficult to pronounce for most species. Only Spock had an understanding of the native language of the a’ar’ians. He saw that McCoy had donned new greens and a new pair of blue butyl-rubber gloves.

“She must have picked that up from me,” Marc Julio – black and blue face flashing with luminescent patterns caused by the light of the sterile field – looked up for a moment from the instrument tray.

“I see,” McCoy drawled. “You sure need help Jeran patching up these guts. Forceps.”

“Look here,” Jeran was probing with a scalpel. “That thingy is barbed and lodged against the only kidney he has left after I removed his second one.”

“He has only one kidney?” Marc piped.

“At home on Aldebaran five he donated a kidney and saved three patients with his selfless deed.” Jeran remembered that event vividly. He had been in his office and explaining the procedure to Ker Djarada when his attention was drawn to a message from Starfleet. Ker had asked him to contact the man McCoy and the result had been an assignment on the Enterprise for the two. A mission to explore strange new worlds and civilisations was quite appealing for the two a’ar’ians, wanting to meet more species than just the a’ar’ians they had encountered in the Aldebaran starcluster and the colonies. That the journey to reach earth lasted three months at low warp speed was convenient for a recovering Ker after his kidney donation. Jeran and Ker had been eager to begin when they reached earth. “Careful… this… yes… hold.”

“Got the nasty,” McCoy had a firm grip on the piece of alien metal with the forceps. “Clamp.”

“Thanks,” Jeran sighed when he cut the last barb loose with his scalpel. The kidney was bruised and mutilated but able to heal completely. “Now some repair-work and get him a foley catheter. We need to keep the pressure from the kidney until it has healed completely.”

A brief sound was heard when the barbed projectile was dropped by McCoy in a metal tray. And the chief surgeon wasn’t surprised at all when a sealed package was held before his hands by nurse Julio.

McCoy began to apply the foley catheter and saw the bloody fluid in the waste bag.

“If the kidney refuses to heal we have to revert to plan B,” Jeran observed neutrally.

“Plan B,” McCoy grinned. “You want to copy the captain? By the way Jim never uses plan A. Uh what’s plan B in his case?”

“Getting a fast ship and going back to our home-planet where his twin is living to give him a kidney,” Jeran answered and reached for the auto-suture unit.

“I will hook up a unit of A-blood,” Lionel Majeski looked briefly up from his equipment. He was watching the vitals and had put a very lucid patient under the anaesthesia. He was glad that nurse Djarada was lucid. He had heard the rants of ensign Ammer – suffering from only a minor injury to his left leg – when his colleague Tinco Gherian was trying to calm him down.

McCoy asked immediately “is his blood-count dropping too?”

“Nothing to be worried about,” Lionel stated. “I have been informed by Tinco about ensign Ammer. Patient Djarada lost a lot of blood due to his severe injury.”

“I want to keep him sedated for the next twelve hours,” Jeran had covered the wound with a bandage and gave nurses Julio and Deyman the signal that he was ready. His work was done.

Lionel and his team would take over and install patient Djarada in the intensive care ward. He eyed the bloody projectile with disgust. “D’arvi b’anjee.”

“What?” McCoy walked with Jeran to the changing room.

“Ah you don’t understand A’ar’ian language,” Jeran grumped. “D’arvi b’anjee is nasty devil. We have quite a challenge on our hands. Djarada needs close observation and Ammer even more.”

“Labs?” McCoy steered into the first changing cubicle.

“Yes and some sleepless nights,” Jeran doffed his cap and mask to reveal his face and headed into the second one after dropping his gloves in a waste-bin.

Jeran Baldavin
    [​IMG]
    tbc

RX_Sith, Jade_eyes and Nightvision91 like this.
  8. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    Awesome issue! Enjoyed all of the medical chit chat, and very well written =D=

Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Great, dear bird! Yesterday I saw the latest movie with my husband & my older brother in the local movie theater. I loved it as much as the story here! :D

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    NV11, thanks for your review. I picked a super duper collaborator, for just those reasons. @};- Nicole, hi! :) That is high praise. [face_dancing] The new Trek is off the ever-loving chain. [face_love] !!!! Just the stuff that happened to Kirk this go around makes him an even deeper character and yet just as likeable. S/U, num num! Love them darlings together!

Nightvision91 and RX_Sith like this.
  11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Some great medical work by McCoy to save another patient. :)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Whar a fun collaboration! I'm looking forward to see where you two take it.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This scene brings in Carol Marcus and an OC of mine:

---

On the bridge, Sulu was pondering aloud what could simultaneously make the landing team sick and short out the transporter.

"Must be some toxic stuff." Chekov answered.

The science department was running studies on that very question.

Spock was monitoring their progress, the consequences in the med-ward, and the situation for the away team.

Lots of balls to juggle at once, Uhura thought, with admiration.

It was her expertise, also, which kept the updates between departments and from surface-to-ship humming smoothly.

We make a great team, she thought, the crew as a whole, and she and her love.

She quelched the grin this caused, but it shone across to him in her eyes.

Dr. Marcus frowned as she examined the a transporter disc. It still had reisude on it. In touching it, however, a residue got on her hands. She sighed and said to Yolette Boudreaux, who was with her:

"We should probably get the decon team in here, and find a way to keep more of this whatever it is from tranferring aboard when the transporter is up again."

Yolette agreed and sent the message.

"Good thing no one was in transit," She commented to Carol.

Carol nodded and turned as the doors opened.

Even this ordinary movement caused her to feel disoriented.

I shouldn't have skipped breakfast this morning, Carol thought.

She gave instructions to the technicians as Yolette headed to main engineering.

She paused en route to the bridge to report.

"The away team is suffering disorientation and mental confusion as well as flu-like symptoms." Spock replied to her. "If you are feeling any of these symptoms, Doctor, please report to the medbay."

"I will, right away." Carol assured, feeling a pang of worry for the away team, and one in particular.

She turned in that direction and had just made it to the doors when she passed out.

Nurse Jana John hurriedly called to the medical staff.

"Get her to an exam-table. STAT!"

_____

TBC Hazel

RX_Sith likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    ;) what will happen next [face_thinking] :eek:

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Oh, oh, Carol is sick and so are more members of the ship. [face_nail_biting]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Uh-ho!! [face_worried]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Coming back from a short break and the lab situated near the patients-rooms of the medbay Lionel Majeski passed the isolation cubicle where Dion Ammer was secured to a bed after trying to escape the medbay. For a moment he halted and recounted what Jeran Baldavin had told him after a night of no sleep and being cooped up in the lab with the chief medic examining the blood-samples taken from Dion and Ker.

Jeran had been to Dion Ammer and had examined him and taken the blood-samples back to the lab. Dion was secured after telling the nurses that he was seeing Nero and his cronies Napoleon, Cheops, Al Capone and Ghengis Kahn. The man was mixing up periods of history and people. He had attacked the nurses swaying with a pillow and had collapsed just short of the door leading to the exit of the medbay. An IV was set up and a transfusion of white blood-cells was given but couldn’t bring the colour back on his ashen face. Blood-counts were still dropping. Dion was developing a severe anemia. Only a total radiation of his body and a transfusion of stem-cells could save him. A call was put out to Starfleet medical central to search for a possible donor.
    Jeran had shown the stamina his race was known for and was very much awake and quite interested in how the two patients were doing when he saw Lionel coming in. He told about alerting nurse Christine Chapel that McCoy had fallen asleep among the assorted files on one of the lab-tables. He had made his first report.

“I will take over Marc,” Lionel entered the intensive care ward after changing and passing an airlock.

“Patient Djarada is doing great.” The Mirana nurse was showing faint luminescent patterns indicating that he wasn’t worried at all about the patient. “Here are his stats.”

Lionel took the datapad and had only a slight frown on his face when he saw that the urine sample still had blood in it. But that was to be expected. What counted for him was that the kidney was working. “Give a copy to Jeran. He will be pleased.”

“Will do,” Marc Julio whispered with his musical voice. “And after that I have some free time I am looking forward to. Nyota has invited me to sing with her in the recreation room.”

“Have fun and tell her not to be too worried about the away-team. Jeran is working on a solution to what troubles ensign Ammer and what seems to have no influence on him.” He sat down next to the bed where the regular hissing of the ventilator was the only sound. “I will wake Ker Djarada tomorrow. Tell that too when you see Jeran.”

- - -

After changing in new greens Marc Julio stepped into chaos when he entered the main room of the medbay. He had sensed already some agitation coming from Jana John and had added isolation gear to his greens but this was not what he had expected. Isolation protocol three was issued as shown on the big display. All were required to wear isolation gear.
    McCoy was there, yawning broadly and listening to chief nurse Christine Chapel.

“She passed out and regained consciousness the moment we had transferred her from the exam-table to a hoverstretcher. And she begins to yell about her lover Jim and passes out again,” Christine was – helped by Nurse Jana John – using soft restrainers to keep Doctor Carol Marcus on the hoverstretcher.

“What was she doing before coming here?” McCoy asked. “Ah don’t tell. Spock must have sent her to the bloody atom-scrambler to see if that beastie aggravated the symptoms.” But he wanted to know for sure and toggled a comstation.

Bridge, patching through to the exec.”

Marc Julio smiled briefly when he heard the musical voice of Nyota Uhura and underlying love. She was with her ashal’veh. Singing and R and R would have to be postponed with now Doctor Marcus displaying the same symptoms as Dion Ammer.

“Yeah she should have ordered decon before touching the darn thing.”

Work on the solution doctor. Ranting will not help.”

That was the crisp reply of Spock and Marc waited for the inevitable reply. In his three years working with the chief medical officer he became used to the banter.

“I know logical ever so...”

Work doctor. Twelve hours and fifteen minutes and twenty seconds have passed since ensign Ammer and nurse Djarada returned.

“I don’t need an atomic clock,” McCoy closed the com abruptly, activated his rebreather and turned to Christine “isolation protocol six. Get Doctor Marcus in an isolation cubicle. I will join Jeran Baldavin in the lab.”

Christine Chapel reached to the hoverstretcher and activated a sterile field. A soft blue glow enveloped Carol.

Marc activated his rebreather and began to help Christine and Jana.

tbc:eek:

AzureAngel2, RX_Sith and Jade_eyes like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful IC banter and great medical details. Intriguing patient differences as to course too. =D= =D=

19. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    More interesting devolopments as parts of the crew have to be quarantined. [face_worried]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Love McCoy! :D And you write him nicely.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    AzureAngel2 (thanks ever so for reading) @};-

RX_Sith [:D] !!

Mira_Jade [face_batting]

Hazel ;)

earlybird-obi-wan -- I have can't wait to post-itis.

----

Chapter 5:

When the call from the med-ward came through, Sulu sighed.

"I guess R&R with Uhura and Nurse Jullio is out, then." Sulu
    commented. "With this crisis on ... Oh, Chekov, are you worrying yourself sick over Irene?"

Chekov snorted. "She's the one who's got a crush, not me."

Sulu said: "Famous last words. She's thorny with everyone else but you."

The away team had been calling up every 90 minutes for status updates at first, but then had ceased. As soon as there was news, good, or otherwise, they would be notified on the surface.

The away team's status hadn't changed either, in a while, which was good news of a sort, except for Ensigh Ahard.

The members of the away team had been speculating on what could be behind the malfunctions and the sudden symptoms. Irene Ahard had suffered worst symptoms and passed out a couple hours ago. She had been delusional, somewhat, thinking she was handmaiden to Xenobia.

Jim was worried about Carol, but he had confidence in McCoy and his medical team.

The natives had long since departed; the away team had secreted themselves in the shuttle. Use of advanced weapons would have been unfair and violated the restrictions on introducing advanced technology.

The natives were satisfied they had warned the visitors away or killed them before they could become contaminated and suffer an unknown fate.

The natives didn't know what the effects would be: illness, death, or what. They had adapted and acquired an immunity to the elements in the soil, after the first exposure had nearly wiped the colony out.

It was at this point that McCoy communicated to say they were in the lab, he and Baldavin, and he wouldn't rest until he had answers.

Nyota chuckled as the exchange between McCoy and Spock ended.

She commented: "You can never tell with the Doctor. His snark ... it could either mean he's frustrated and stymied or he's worried but confident he can find an answer."

"Doubtless the latter," Spock responded.

"Hmmm. Not because of an inflated ego, certainly?" She teased.

"I have confidence in the Doctor's ability to find a solution, even while he complains and fusses. It is part of his ... 'bedside manner.'"

Nyota laughed. "Shhh. Don't let him hear you say that. He'll never let you forget it if you do."

Their eyes met in a laughing exchange.

"It is a shame though that Nurse Jullio and I will have to put off entertaining everyone with classic duets. He has a lovely tenor."

"I am sure you and I can find an equally pleasant alternative." Her love observed, massaging her shoulders.

She purred. "Oh, an even better one, darling, if I know your unfailing prowess at ... relaxing and stimulating me at the same time."

He nuzzled her pulse point. "You are exemplary in that aspect as well, my own."

Nyota laughed.

"I do love you." She murmured.

"And I, you."

++++

TBC... edge of seatness + SQUEE! Isn't it awesome? [face_laugh] :cool:

AzureAngel2 and RX_Sith like this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The medical stuff will come soon;)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I guess I missed an update, but that's alright becuse now I get to read two, and how exciting they were.

I finally watched the new ST yesterday (it only premiered last thursday here) and I loved it. I'm still on the edge of my seat and wishing there was more of it.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, yes, like a constant stream of it. ^:)^ !!!!!! Of them, more like. :D

Hazel likes this.
  25. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Lovely moments for Spock and Uhuru as McCoy tries to solve the medical issues. [:D]