main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Weiner worked for the Sopranos. If he follows that model, Don is going to keep on going, and never learning.

2. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, at least we'll see the pavement rushing up to meet the camera prior to it going black.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Catch Me If You Can: The Bob Benson Story

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Poor Cosgrove can't catch a break this season, neither can anybody else for that matter. This was easily the best episode of the season thus far. The Bob/Pete drama via Duck, Cosgrove getting shot, Ted & Peggy's awkward run in with Don and Megan, Sally honing her manipulation skills (and lighting up with Betty!), and Don's masterful and devious power play with the St Joseph's pitch. This episode delivered. Saying anything more would be overkill,

Best line: "You found a hooker who takes travelers checks?"

Havac likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would complain about how lame the show's handling of Benson has been, but Ken Cosgrove is a pirate. My argument is invalid.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ken got Cheney'd.

Pete hates Bob because Bob is the gay Don: a successful fraud and so, so incredibly handsome.

7. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, he's the gay, gay Don.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Ken Cosgrove=Young Governor from The Walking Dead

timmoishere likes this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't really like the bob benson character either, but i thought this was probably a top ten episode. probably the best sally episode. great pete episode. lots of great adverting stuff. i hated the ted and peggy thing, and was glad don walked over it. all that and ken getting shot in the face.

some genuine chill moments too. the tension in the room when both peggy and ted thought don was talking about them, a smoking sally saying, "my father has never given me anything", and the look on don's face after peggy told him he's a monster. the whole episode was just classic mad men.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah this episode was great. I'm actually interested to see where the Bob thing goes, and by the way did Pete just literally become a pimp?

The Sally stuff was great (Glen! Somehow growing up to be slightly less creepy, or at least a little protective). So was opening with Don being completely wrecked. I loved this episode. Though I was genuinely worried for a while that they'd actually killed Kenny (I swear I'm not trying to make a South Park reference, but there was no other way to say that). As usual, there's absolutely no way to know what's going to happen in the season finale.

Also, I absolutely loved Peggy telling Don he's a monster and leaving him to wallow. All I could think of was The Suitcase, and how she saw him break down crying in there then. And how much he's pissed away one of his only actual friendships by being an enormous ass.

I still think this show might end next year with Don killing himself.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Pete's already been a grimy little pimp since last season at least.

I don't know, I'm thinking "Lee Garner, Jr. made me hold his balls!" may rival it.

As for Bob, I like the character, or what he could potentially be and bring to the show, but the handling of him has been bungled. He was introduced as this guy who just kept toadying all over the place, and it took them forever to show him being an actual human being, and the result is that he had the feel of, and got treated by the fans as, a puzzle piece rather than a character. It was all "What is Bob Benson here for? What's the mystery?" and not "Why do I care about this character?" Something as simple as the shot of him in his office, listening to motivational self-help records, is enough to humanize him and give you something to grasp behind the brown-nosing public mask. Had that scene been a few episodes in instead of near the end of the season, we could have clicked with Benson as a character while still wondering what purpose his introduction could turn out to have.

And the revelation in this episode was too on-the-nose. He can be a Don parallel -- a self-made go-getter whose secret is just how self-made he really is -- with just a phony resume. He really doesn't need to be a coal country kid with an alliterative alias. That's a bit too much. Or just being gay is enough of a secret to give him parallels to Don's secret identity and to give Pete the ability to do the secret-exposure routine redux. The show already has plenty of characters with parallels to Don to play with . . . do we really need a whole season building up to the revelation of Don 2.0 . . . existing? I'm still not sure what his actual purpose is, other than giving Pete a season one parallel, and I hope it wasn't all just for that. I hope the finale really sets up where this character is going, because so far I'm skeptical.

Also:

[​IMG]

tom likes this.
  12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    That Don gif. Yes.

How on earth did Ken get shot in the eye at that close range and not end up dead?

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It was just birdshot.

14. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    He's at least permanently blind in that eye, right? I don't know much about shooting birds so I can't say.

Also, what's up with Pete and his secretary? Is there something going on there?

15. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    Last scene between Don and Peggy was brilliant.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I will be VERY angry if Jon Hamm does not get an Emmy for this episode. That is all.

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Heck of a finale. The decision to drop Don was kind of abrupt, but I can't wait to see where it goes. Also, the saga of Pete's mom had a hilarious ending. I'm going to love seeing Pete in California. It didn't take Bob long to outmaneuver him.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh man, the meeting with Hershey's. The Draper facade is just going away completely, huh?

And I thought the partners were going to fire him outright and not do some wishy-washy indefinite leave thing.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is definitely the best soap opera ever.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I know it's technically a soap opera, but the term is such a pejorative that I cringe whenever I see it applied to something I like and think is of high quality. :p

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know, i know. that's why i said it. but i mean sometimes with its plot twists it just strikes me as such a soap opera. i realized this year though that if it were to keep going for like 30 years like some of the daytime soaps i would totally watch it. imagine an old grandpa don in the year 1993 and watching that in the year 2030.

this finale didn't really do it for me until the hershey meeting. i really loved the final scene though.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't get how they can make me hate Don so much throughout the season then suddenly make me like him in just one episode. Crazy. That dude deserves an emmy for sure.

solojones and themetresgained like this.
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The obvious thing to do would be a time jump to show an elderly Don (if he doesn't kill himself or something), but I wonder if it will just end with 1970, like That 70's Show did with 1980. :p

25. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Holy crap, that was probably the climactic episode of the series, brah.