main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No, don't think so. Star Wars Rebels is an animation show which will probably mostly be aimed at kids. If they want to make real moneys, they have to put Vader into a spinoff - prominently.

V-2 likes this.
  2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Vader/Anakin is Star Wars to a lot of people, i can see lots of dream flashbacks cave like sequences and ghosts all in that blue glow we first saw in Leias R2 projection. I think we may get jedi/sith combat on the astral plane

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think a Star Wars film can absolutely succeed without Darth Vader in it (Disney better hope so since there's going to be three films already without him :p) and I personally think it is one of the worst ideas to center a spin-off film around him. I think Dinsey is going to use these spin-offs to put their own stamp on Star Wars with new characters and new stories.

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why would you think that? Disney didn't really put its own stamp on Marvel (all the important characters already existed in comics) so I very much doubt that it would do so with Star Wars.

kainee likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Marvel is a very different situation from Star Wars. The whole point of making Marvel films is to base them on characters from the comics but with SW there is more room to create new ones. One of the reasons why I think they won't be based on any established characters is because Bob Iger pretty much told us they wouldn't when he said the spin-offs would be about "characters who are not part of the overall saga." With the Episodes they have to pretty much stick to the story, characters and style of the previous six films but the spin-offs can be about anything and they have more room to be innovative. I don't think they'll squander that chance by focusing too much on characters who stories they don't have complete creative control over.

kainee likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I just listened to the interview again and I think what he meant was that the movies wouldn't be part of the saga, not the characters.
    From a financial standpoint it would be a pretty boneheaded move imo to use totally new characters when you have someone like Boba at your disposal.

kainee likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking about this again recently. I think he may have meant something like that too. As in characters that we know from the movies (either 1-6 or 7-9) but in stories / settings that take place outside of the PT, OT, or ST.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. He said the spin-offs would be about great characters and then he seemed to emphasize "who are not part of the overall saga" like he was making a point to say that. Anyways, I don't think it would be boneheaded at all for them to create new characters and stories. Sure Darth Vader and Boba Fett are great but they've been done and how much better would it be to have all new great characters in a story we're not familiar with? As long as the writing is great and the story is worthy to be told then I don't think a SW film will have a hard time making money.

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think a SW movie with new characters would have a hard time making money either... I'm just not sure that's what Iger meant. I still feel like he may have meant known characters in new settings and stories. Either way it should be cool to see.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He said something akin to "Kinberg and Kasdan are working on movies derived from great star wars characters that are not part of the overall saga".

Could mean anything, really. It is noteworthy that he said "that" and not "who", therefore it is hardly proof that they would use new characters.

From a financial standpoint it still seems boneheaded because a Boba movie could easily make 200million more than a movie without Boba as protagonist. It is probably much easier to break even or make a huge profit with characters that are already known. Hollywood is as reboot crazy as it is for a reason.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes it will be very cool to see. :) I should say that I hope that is what he meant because I'm very much against a Darth Vader spin-off. I love the character but his story has been told and I think it's time to move the franchise forward not keep it stuck in the past. Just my opinion though.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I agree with you about a Darth Vader spin-off.

13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I think there should be NO Vader in EP7. Not even in "flash backs" (because that's not how Star Wars is filmed and it should stay flash back free). I do agree that filling the shoes of Vader (or Palpatine) will be a monumental job. I honestly don't think it can be done. This is Star Wars, so Mr. Bean could be the villian and it will still make over 100 million the first weekend, but I doubt any NEW villain can work as well as Vader did.

I'm not even a fan of the post ROTJ novels, but I am a fan of Thrawn. Granted he's not in the same league as Vader, but if done well I think he could be good.

A Vader spinoff movie is a whole different story. if VERY well written and the story doesn't break continuity I think it will work. And we all know the voice would be done by "Chad Vader" and any actor tall enough. As much as I would like it to be James Earl Jones and Prose, prose will be into his 80s when/if this happens. JEJ could voice act, but he's semi retired and doesn't come cheap as an actor.

kainee and eht13 like this.
  14. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    I just have a strange feeling that Vader will be in VII.
    For marketing reasons, Disney would love to capitalize on Vader. I actually heard a rumor a few months back that they were planning on "resurrecting Vader" for the new series of movies. He's an iconic fixture of the saga, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought him back (for all the non-die-hard Star Wars bandwagon jumpers). :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Agree. I honestly don't feel that he will play a part per se, but in some form he will be there. Probably mostly is passing discussion. And is Abrams and co. really creative enough to produce an original story? Star Trek alternate universes are his latest gig. Hmm

Forever loyal, not optimistic. [face_dunno]

kainee likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Michael Arndt did not write the script for Star Trek, nor did George Lucas come up with its overview & treatment...

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, you heard a rumor? :p

18. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Sorry but the whole "resurrecting Vader" idea for Episode VII or rest of the ST for that matter is just plain silly in my opinion. However the idea of Vader coming back in his own stand alone spin-off film that's set during the Dark Times, that I can definitely see happening.

kainee likes this.
  19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed. I may not want a Vader spin-off to be made, but it would still be better than (and I think a LOT more likely than) him appearing in a ST movie.

kainee and The Hellhammer like this.
  20. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I could see him in a dream to Luke, maybe one of the new dudes is a bit conflicted and Anakin visits Luke to warn him. As they are talking Anakin morphs into Vader and says something like "Do not forget what happened to me my son" in Vader voice then morphs back. Knocks out all the force ghost changing appearance stuff and shoehorns Vader in for everyone who wants to see him. Personally I can do without him totally, but something like this wouldnt be too painful to me.

kainee likes this.
  21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Pevra's got it right... others hearing "who" instead of "that" and misinterpreting the quote thought that meant they'd make spin-offs based on characters from EU stories (KOTOR, TOTJ, Darth Bane, etc), but the interview... it's pretty clear. The spinoff movies themselves are not part of the "overall saga", the numerical films.

I'm not terribly keen on a Boba movie, as I'm not terribly keen on rooting for the villains... of course, he could be hired for a more 'noble' or at least 'not evil' purpose, and face even worse villains, but there's just not much appeal left in the character for me. Still, I was thoroughly surprised with how well they used him in The Clone Wars, when I thought for sure he'd just be the one-dimensional evil little twerp from AOTC.

A Vader movie seems unlikely given "Rebels"... and I really don't want an 'earlier-in-the-dark-times' film featuring Vader stomping around on his new metal legs slaying idiot Jedi who don't know how to hide in a galaxy spanning a hundred thousand light years with hundreds of thousands of inhabited worlds and likely trillions of sentients.

kainee likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Where in my post did I say I want the spin-offs to be focused on EU characters? I didn't because I don't. I specifically stated new characters in new stories. I don't think the interview is as clear as you say but we'll just have to wait until we learn more about them. I will stand by my opinion that most of our ideas for these spin-offs are way off from what they will actually turn out to be.

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Where did I say that YOU said the spin-offs would focus on EU characters? I said "others", meaning "others". A bunch of people, myself included, on another site thought that's what it meant and discussed it back when that blurb was new... only after actually digging up the actual interview instead of 3rd- or 4th-hand quotes & articles did it finally make sense, and pretty much everyone agreed.

The context of it all... he means the spin-offs aren't part of the overall saga. Nothing more, nothing less. "...working on films, derived from great Star Wars, ah, characters, that are not part of the overall saga, so we still plan to make Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX..." Listening to the actual interview makes it clear what the context is. Will there be new characters in the spin-offs? Of course. There will be new characters in the ST as well. But his statement isn't that the characters necessarily are not part of the overall saga... just that the 'stand alone' movies aren't part of it. Especially considering he concludes that statement by assuring viewers that they DO still plan to make VII, VIII, and IX there.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I rewatched the interview yesterday and I still disagree with that interpretation. I think the term stand alone speaks for itself and wouldn't need any clarification but the focus on who they would be about might. We'll just have to agree to disagree and wait and see.

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    No, I don't think the character Darth Vader will appear in Episode VII. However, I could see the suit being used again. Was there any significance to the suit, aside from a life support system? The symmetry, the design of the helmet and the body armor reminds me of Mandalorians, in that it may have belonged to a warrior culture. Did Vader's suit have any other significance?

If so, it would be pretty intriguing to see an army of Vader clad warriors...maybe a gray, with black trim? I'm not being too picky here.;)

kainee likes this.