main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, knew I forgot something- had Sonic in there before I changed the list's format. Ill add them in shortly.

And, yeah- other than the rumor that Retro's project is a new IP, there's been nothing leaked about it. With 3+ years of development, it's gotta be something big, not just something like DKCR.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    The trailer for Sonic Lost World reminds me a bit of old school Sonic blended with Sonic Colours.

I remember back before the GCN was launched, Retro had demo videos for several new IP before diverting resources to Metroid Prime. One of them was Raven Blade which I always wanted to try. I wonder if they are bringing one of those back to life or whether it is something completely new... or a return to form for an established IP... we'll find out soon. Part of me hopes it doesn't get leaked prematurely like DKCR and GoldenEye was so that the reveal will have a stronger impact.

Xenoblade is another title I am interested in. Part of me wonders if this is a sequel or an HD remake of the Wii title.

For the moment, I can't wait to get back into the games I've already built up for the system, just have to wait for the upcoming break to happen.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Downloaded the Rayman Challenge App (and Super Metroid since it was still $0.32).

Castle Rock had me laughing pretty hard- I think I'll be replaying that one often, hehe. The current endless chasm challenge was fun too.

Looking forward to the full game. I should probably crack open Origins first though...

EDIT- Went back to ZombiU and...
    PHANTOM Zombies?! Nobody said anything about Phantom Zombies. Isn't there a rule against that? Like, you can be a phantom OR a zombie, but never both?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In my mind, this is how Miyamoto exits every vehicle and enters every room:

[​IMG]

They're heeeeeeere (well, LA at least).

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Miyamoto's enthusiasm is infectious. It's like christmas again and now I'm even more excited for E3.

Speaking of which, you can keep track of the Nintendo Directs @ E3 on Nintendo's dedicated page... as well as other content.

http://e3.nintendo.com

Not long to go!

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thankfully I'm not working mon or tues- just class tues night. Which means I get to watch live! (and then maybe trek out to a BB kiosk if one if nearby...)

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It will be airing roughly around Tuesday midnight or into the early hours of Wednesday morning for me. Depends on how my internet is, I hope to watch it live like I have for the past few years, if not then I'll follow a twitter feed closely.

I think it is a great move regarding the demos being playable at the BB Kiosks. I wish they could also eShop them but I understand that it wouldn't be recommended depending on how early build some of those titles might be.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that is an awesome picture. I wish I lived near a BestBuy that had one of those kiosks. Definitely looking forward to the next week, hope Nintendo can put the Wii U back on track, there'll be so many announcements to keep track of.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though it is kinda funny that we're all "I can't wait to watch this pre-recorded video live!", hehe.

[​IMG]

EDIT- Supposedly the leaked BB demos are 4 games: Luigi U, W101, Pikmin 3 & TWW HD.

Kinda hope they have some more surprises than that at the BB kiosks, otherwise I can wait on visiting BB.

Nobody145 and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There is a list of BB Stores that are to have the demo units. I had a feeling they would show the older ones but I want to see more of TWW:R

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    about two hours to go until Nintendo airs their E3 direct.

At the moment, I can't get enough of the footage from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, it looks really good! I also want to know what Wii U features Watch_Dogs will have, we'll find out soon enough. I was kinda hoping for some news regarding the Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil 2 and ZombiU followup from Ubisoft but who knows what will happen next.

EDIT: About 25 min till start but the coverage links are as follows:

Australia/Europe

US

Japan

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Well, Nintendo did ok this year. Outside of Mega Man and DKR:TF, nothing really surprising was announced- just gameplay footage from previous announcements. I think Nintendo may have harmed itself a bit by having so many huge announcements in ND's over the past few months.

That said, thats not necessarily a bad thing for Nintendo- just the perception of Nintendo "at E3". If you ignore the fact that they announced mlost of these in ND's over the past few mlonths, they had a very strong line-up. I just wish they would have announced at least one new IP, or heavy next-gen/Gamepad-centric title.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It seemed pretty safe and I agree that there wasn't much in terms of surprise and I'm half expecting for there to be more announcements.

DKC:TF was unexpected and I loved the previous one but half of me wondered if this is actually Retro's game or developed by another (Monster Games did the recent conversion of the previous for 3DS). Mario Kart looks fun with the multi paths on the maps.

Update regarding the BB Demos.

DKC:TR
    Super Mario 3D World
    Mario Kart 8
    Wind Waker HD

EDIT: Going back over the list of announcements, it is a pretty solid lineup with most of the titles coming out this year and I already know I'll be getting some... or maybe half of them.

Notice the shift in art styles between the 3DS and Wii U version of Smash Bros? Nice to see a nod to Spirit Tracks

Also Bayonetta 2 kinda reminds me of Kid Icarus for some reason...

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing that's particularly neat to me is Mario's cat suit- not because of it's abilities but because of what my friends and I thought SMB3 was going to be about back in the day, based on loosely translated Japanese Nintendo Powers one of us had access to.

At the time we thought, based on Raccoon Mario and the Tanooki Suit, that Mario would slowly be turning into a cat (or vice versa) during the game (or whenever he took damage). Now, here we are, almost 15 years later, and cat Mario is a reality.

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Heh, nice image 2ndQuest, appropriate for the Megaman/Sonic crossover to happen this year, well, assuming they keep Sonic in the next Smash Bros.

It was a nice enough Direct with several nice announcements like the new Donkey Kong Country game, but yeah, nothing as memorable as happened at the other conferences. I still loved the Smash Bros. trailers, especially the Mega Man intro, but still. At least quite a few good games on the way for the Wii U at least.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That reminds me- is the first time they've ever depicted Mega Man's eyes as being, like, an LED screen under his face? I really loved that particular detail in the reveal trailer (well, that and just illustrating how ****ing badass Mega Man really is when he has all those abilities at his disposal).

Bonus points for using the Master Robot numbers as well.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oof, Deus Ex HR DC is no longer Wii U exclusive.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The cat suit seems pretty fun with the pounce attack and wall climbing.

Did Square-Enix give a reason why the Director's Cut of Deus Ex HR is going multi platform? Well.... at least we are still getting the title... hopefully.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably for monetary reasons. Hard to make 3rd party money back on a low install base like the Wii U's I would guess.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The WIi U version hasn't been canceled (and, considering it apparently designed to be enhanced with the Gamepad, I have to assume that, like Rayman Legends, the Wii U version will be the superior "native" version).

But, yeah, I think the lower sales figures in the first half of this year are what is holding back some of the 3rd party developers (except for EA- they're just doing it because they're ****s), despite the Wii U having a better first year (so far) than the 360 or PS3 did in theirs.

Even though the 3rd party support was pretty sparse this year at E3 (I know people have always said that about Nintendo for 15 years, but I think this is the first year where it was actually the case), I'm still optimistic that, once the install base expands, as it most certainly will with the 1st & 2nd party exclusives hitting within the next year or by year's end, you'll start to see more 3rd party support again.

We already know EA reversed their comments on Wii U development after the XB1 reveal disaster, and I think it's obvious that XB1 is going to have a very rough launch year due to it's pricepoint and controversies. And I think EA (and others) saw it too- PS4 is going to become the 3rd party machine while Wii U becomes the 1st/2nd party machine.

The catch is that 3rd parties aren't going to be able to produce as many AAA titles if they are only making them for one console, so they'll want to diversify- and the XB1 will be in a worse-off state than the Wii U is as far as install base goes, so around then, the Wii U is going to be looking mighty tempting for developers right around the time Smash Bros is ready to explode.

21. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Here's hoping your right about this.

Anywho I feel content with what Nintendo has shown. I just hope Smash Bros Wii U/3DS will be more inline with Melee in terms of gameplay than Brawl which, while fun, didn't have the same feel as it's predecessor. Mario Kart 8 also looked preety fun and so does Super Mario 3D World. Even DKC: TF looks like it could be somewhat better than it's predecessor.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't stand Brawl's sounds effects and dull colors.

Also, I'd LOOOOOOOVE to see Star Wars characters in Super Smash Bros.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't have a preference between Melee and Brawl, while there was some adjustments to make between the two... both are great and I kinda prefer Brawl over Melee. Also note how the Wii U version of Link has the strands for his hair and more detailing on the character models. Samus' model appears to be based on the design from Other M. I also dig the style they are doing for the 3DS version.

It would be great to have some SW characters in the Super Smash Bros series though that probably be more suited for their own title and needs to be done properly with the utmost care and respect that is given to the properties in SSB. Since Sakurai and team are bringing in some older characters (Sonic, Snake, MegaMan), I think it be great to have the Prince of Persia. It won't be hard to fit him in with the style and if Ezio could appear in a Soul Calibur, then why not the Prince in SSB?

DKC:TF is looking amazing and they have brought back the underwater stages, Dixie Kong and there is an unannounced playable character. Yep... it is a must get for me, especially after the effort they had put into DKC:R. People are surprised that Retro is returning to Donkey Kong and so their reasoning is explained:

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While a fun notion, there are literally dozens of legendary gaming characters and/or Nintendo classics I'd rather see in a Smash game before SW characters.

25. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Aw, c'mon. You know you would love to play as Starkiller with a potential Final Smash being something like Maelstrom since sadly, it may be too difficult to have the Final Smash being that of bringing down a Stardestroyer on your opponents.

Me personally, I'm curious if we'll be seeing anyone from the Digimon franchise since Namco-Bandai are developing the game alongside Sakurai's Sora. If they are, it'll probably be Agumon since most people are familiar with him but me personally, if I were to add a character, it would be Ryo Akiyama since he appeared in the Japan-only Wonderswan games before his appearance in Tamers (& cameo in Adventure 02) and I would have him function in a similar fashion to that of the Pokemon Trainer (Agumon can even be one of his Digimon to use in battle since he was partnered up with Tai's in Anode/Cathode Tamer), only that his Final Smash would have him Matrix evolve ("Biomerging" in the dub) with Cyberdramon to form Justimon. Then again, not many people would be familiar with him but then again, look at characters like Marth & Roy who were originally set to be exclusive to the Japanese version of Melee and how popular they ended up becoming amongst North American players despite the Fire Emblem series having never reached America until years later so who knows. One way or another, the inclusion of Digimon characters would probably settle a long debate over which of the "mons" franchises is better: Digimon or Pokemon?