main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me that strongly dislikes Mace Windu and thinks he is overrated as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CommanderTano96, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CommanderTano96

CommanderTano96 Jedi Padawan

Jun 11, 2013
    Despite his very unique lightsaber colour, i always find myself wondering how Mace Windu got the reputation he has in the movies and how he climbed the Jedi ranks to the top at what seems like a young age compared to Yoda, when he isn't portrayed very well in the movies at all and acts as if he is right all the time and always seems to make decisions which backfire on him! Does anyone agree with me on this matter?

Corvax855 likes this.
  2. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I don't agree with you at all.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. CommanderTano96

Jun 11, 2013

I always respect other peoples opinions! How come you disagree? You may help me understand your side!

5. CommanderTano96

Jun 11, 2013
    Maybe I'm not getting something about him then, what is it that you like about him? i would love to like him but from what ive watch in TCW and the movies, ive just never been able to be a huge fan of him!(I know you didnt say you like him but im just assuming)!

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I like him because he is badass and he is played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Darkslayer and Sock and Awe like this.
  7. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Before I explain why I disagree, maybe you could expand on why you dislike him. I mean saying he isn't portrayed very well in the movies and acts like he's right all the time and always makes decisions that backfire are kinda vague statements. Maybe if you could offered certain examples I for me to refute or challenge.

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    You are being baited, CommanderTano96. Your statements aren't vague. We've all seen the movies and know what you are talking about. ILNP formed his or her opinion without any need for you to get specific and I too am interested in hearing why he or she disagrees with you.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the TPM novel, it's Mace who argues that Obi-Wan is ready to train Anakin since "defeating a Sith Lord in combat is a strong test of his readiness for anything"

And Mace's "If what you have told me is true, you will have gained my trust, but for now, remain here" reply to Anakin when he says he should be there for Palpatine's arrest, does not seem at all well thought out- the last thing you want to do with someone like Anakin is make it clear you don't trust him at the moment, when you're supposed to be acting on his information.

Which is not to say Mace doesn't have good points- but they're much more commonly seen in the books than the movies.

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Mace was not fleshed out like he could have been in the movies, so he comes off as a jerk. As above, the books did a much better job at characterizing him.

rumsmuggler and Pearlsaber like this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I don't have a word to say about disliking Mace Windu, to each his own.:)

Speak for yourself. I've seen the movies a thousand times and don't know what the OP means by "overrated as a Jedi". He defeated Jango, when Kenobi couldn't. He survived much longer than the other Jedi Masters who went with him to arrest the Chancellor. All the films ever tell us is that Mace Windu was very powerful and his actions validated Anakin's statement... so how is he overrated?

12. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Mace certainly did have flaws (Like most of the other Jedi including Yoda). But he was powerful, he disposed of Jango in very quick fashion (With a bit of luck) and he was also equal to Palpatine in their duel.

I liked him, it was obvious he cared for the republic and for the Jedi and he was willing to do what was necessary for there survival.

If there was one Jedi I wasn't sure about it was Jocasta Nu, her attitude towards Obi-Wan in AOTC was just pure arrogance. She pretty much made out that Obi-Wan (an experienced, well respected Jedi) was just nothing more then an idiot making something up. Even so I wouldn't say that I didn't like her, just didn't have much time for her (especially as that is just one example).

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well I don't strongly dislike him but I do find hima bit overrated and can be annoying.(though I admit he kicked some butt in Attack of the Clones).

14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I can think of another Jedi who's overrated. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I can think of a Sith Apprentice that was overrated... by his own Master.

Darkslayer and rumsmuggler like this.
  16. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
  17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He's no more or less flawed than other members of the order, including Yoda, is he? They all get played equally as far as I can see. If he's overrated because of that, then they all are.

In terms of combat, he goes pretty well. Survives Geonosis pretty convincingly. Against Palpatine, whether you subscribe to the faking theory or not, there's nothing there that shows him to be particularly weak.

Aside from these things, he's Sam Jackson and he's a badass so he can't be all bad.

GGrievous likes this.
  18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I thought that said Grievous. I was going to say =D=

DarthDuckie likes this.
  19. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    To be honest, I don't think that we see him much in action during the movies in comparison to, say, Anakin. However, if Windu's performances in Geonosis and in the duel with Sidious didn't impress you, then the Expanded Universe explains much more about him and why he is regarded as he is.

20. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    Jango was in a better position when he faced Kenobi though. In the Geonosis arena, he had lost his jet pack at the hands of the Reek and was thus more vulnerable. I'm sure that if Obi-Wan was put in the same position that Mace found himself in when facing Jango in the arena, he would have disposed of him just as easily as Mace had. Thus, I think you should suspend judgement on whether Windu fought better against Jango or not because that judgement can only be made if both characters faced the exact same scenario/situation in a fight against Jango, and one killed him while the other didn't. But since the positions they found themselves in when facing Jango were wholly different - Obi-Wan's much more difficult than Windu's - then it isn't possible to say which one performed better.

21. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    Windu was also the creator and sole master of a lightsaber style known as Vaapad which he employed in the clash with Sidious, so surely this also strengthens his reputation.

22. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Mace Windu may be so-so, but Samuel L Jackson is forever.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, form's temporary but class is permanent!

rumsmuggler and SithStarSlayer like this.
  24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I heartily agree. He has strengths and flaws like the other Jedi characters - including the over-worshipped Yoda and Obi-Wan.

You're blaming Mace for this? I believe Mace was right to leave Anakin behind. He had accurately noticed that the young Jedi Knight was in a state of emotional turmoil. And even if he had allowed Anakin to accompany them on the arrest, none of us know how events would have played out. I do get tired of people using this as excuse for Mace's "inferiority".

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Admittedly, he didn't have much to do in The Phantom Menace, however, he was only behind Yoda when it came to his judgement.

Attack of the Clones is where things really pick up. When diplomacy fails, Mace is not one to be underestimated in battle. We suddenly see how he earned his reputation in The Phantom Menace the second he jumps into battle.

Although George Lucas has much bigger plans for him in the 1972 draft as the main character, I think he still fills a very imporant role in the series; his struggle with Palpatine is when Anakin finally gives into the Dark Side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.