main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

That's not really helpful. [face_peace]

2. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    It's helping me get through the morning. But yes, I see your point. I'll take my lulz over to the GIL.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not trying to mini-mod but bashing a segment of the fan base really isn't cool there either.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    You didn't need this guy to tell you that. You were putting down your money on the poker table months ago.

Is the guy reputable? I don't know. What I do know is that he isn't saying very much, he doesn't identify any sources.

You could have written that article. It is all about playing the odds. Telling us that a clearly false casting breakdown is fiction - what an amazing leap of logic.

Telling us that EU novels will not be adapted as the story of the new films? We already knew that.

We are not going to know if the EU is being discarded for sometime, so yes it is about picking which interpretation a person likes the best. Even if the films don't use Jaina & Jacen at all, that doesn't mean the EU is destroyed. You claim he reported that the "EU is being paved over" and he did no such thing - so yes, you are twisting what was said to fit your own view of how you think events will turn out.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    4/5 mics for referencing one the best DS9 episodes in the entire series =D=

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

The PT and TCW incorporated some bits of the EU; personally I'm assuming the ST will do the same.

I just hope it's the parts I like.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I doubt any major plotlines or EU centric characters would be used, but I would think they'd incorporate elements from the EU into the ST. Like the PT did with Coruscant, for example.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm too lazy to go back through the thread and see if anyone (including me) has posted this already, but...

The Vong or a Vong-like group as a villain.

I don't think the "being closed off to the Force" element needs to be included necessarily, as long as the villain could be credible and not easily defeated by the Jedi. But I would like to see the abhorrence for technology, the religious fundamentalism along with the insistence on taking over the galaxy and recruiting all its citizens to their religion, the ability to manipulate biology in order to create living weapons and ships, and the inability to be persuaded by normal threats, such as the threat of pain (doesn't work on those who like it) or threat of death.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    As I have said before I feel like they'll only include snippets of EU just for fan service but wont bend their knee to it. I doubt they would hire an oscar winning writer, get back Kasdan and some other writer just so they can sit around and copy ideas/characters from a book series not many general audience members are aware of. Plus we've heard them say its an original story with nothing we have seen in the EU before so that pretty much means EU is out. I kinda doubt we'll be hearing some big news story about some random villain/hero/planet/event that I can't even pronounce being a key plot point in the sequel trilogy.

FinleySlade likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, I didn't say that I think any of those major things would be pulled from the EU. To use my Coruscant example again, how many viewers who knew nothing about the EU had any confusion when the name Coruscant was given for the city planet in TPM? None, I'm sure.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Phantom Menace was an original story that had nothing to do with the EU, minus a couple small points like Coruscant. The EU not getting used doesn't equal the EU getting erased from the universe.

TCW used a ton of EU, often not well. That is the main issue some fans have with it. It could have not used the EU, told the same stories, and been way better off for it.

12. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    EU within EU. My head is exploding.

13. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    EU will still exist...technicly. Its not like they are going to destroy all the books and say "You can't read them anymore because they aren't canon" so yeah. You know what also is going to suck..........the inevitable "Sequel Trilogy EU". Now thats gunna be confusing as heck. Its gunna be like "OK so the old EU is not canon anymore....So is THIS EU now canon since it involves the character/events from the movie? Or is it still a non-canon thing. Does that mean they have to follow events that happen in this new EU in the next films? What?!?!". Its totally gunna mind-F us all. So be happy....the future EU debates are gunna be INSANE!

Robimus likes this.
  14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Will you still be able to buy Old EU material from Amazon, after the ST comes out?

Will they stop production, and reprints, after the new movies come out, what will they do with fans who still use
    old eu characters, in Fanfic,fanart, and cosplay, as well as RP.

You know JJ Abrams only allowed one comic series to take place in the new
    Star Trek EU, and the movie novelizations.

15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Obviously they'll lock those fans up in the warehouse they are currently keeping Michael Arndt in. They'll never be seen ever again ;)

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And the books will be burned Fahrenheit 451-style.

17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And JJ Abrams will use his Time Travel ability to kill all the EU writers to prevent them from ever being created. :p

18. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    There's a lot that I liked from the old EU, but I'm honestly relieved that Episode VII isn't going to be a rehash of the Thrawn Trilogy, the NJO stories, or LOTF. If it were, I'd probably be a lot less interested in it (though I'd still watch it on opening day, as would just about anybody here). They're keeping it fresh, and the new movies will be just that--new.

Vthuil and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    In all seriousness, I am curious about the "official status" of the post-ROTJ EU stuff if they do away with things like Ben, Jacen, Jaina, Mara and so on.
    Will all that then become a sort of parallel universe or simply be rendered null and void like the insanity filled Marvel comics of yore?

20. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Jedi Master

Feb 28, 2012
    I'd like them to use names and idea from the EU, but just create there own story. I'd like to see the new Sequel trilogies interpretation of Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, and Luke Skywalker. I mean, don't get rid of the EU, just use the best parts of it and rewrite it. As long as they don't retcon Mara, Jacen, Thrawn, or Jaina, I'm happy.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You'll get a lot of variance in the "best parts" though. My acceptance of Mara or Thrawn in the ST would hinge on retconning the hell out of their characters, and if that happens, it's better just to have a new character appear, which is what should have happened with Barriss Offee--a completely original character should have been used in her place in TCW Season 5.

leiamoody likes this.
  22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, heavily retconning established EU characters is a can of worms waiting to be opened. No matter what they do people will be upset. And even if they don't care, it's not necessary anyway; that was TCW's mistake. They could have had new characters do the things that established characters did in that show, and the plot would have been served the same while NOT making EU fans mad in the process.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I'll admit that was a pretty hamfisted plot twist for the end of Season 5. I wasn't as bothered by prequel EU as I was by sequel EU, so I didn't mind the way Barriss was portrayed (I vaguely remember a pair of books where she was a healer and liked the way she was written). I mean, she wasn't a huge character anyway, but even her portrayal in TCW never hinted at someone willing to betray the Jedi Order and frame someone she considered a friend.

24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Ah, I remember before To Catch a Jedi aired that they wouldn't dare make Barriss Offee the perpetrator. I thought that the unnamed Weequay Jedi at the Temple was the culprit, thinking he was really Sora Bulq, and even after the episode was over I almost considered the masked Force-user who defeated Ahsoka was Komari Vosa, back from the dead to take back her old lightsabers from Asajj Ventress... Anyone but Offee... Boy, was I wrong...

Anyways, I think since the ST will focus on a Skywalker/Solo child/children we will undoubtedly see some retcons take place. If they choose to use the established EU characters like Ben, Jaina, Allana, or even Jacen there could be many discrepancies between how they are portrayed onscreen versus how they are portrayed in the EU. And if they choose to create an all new Skywalker/Solo child/children/grandchildren, they would still end up clashing with the post-RotJ EU works that never mentioned their existence (unless Luke and/or Han had illegitimate children? Eh...). Hence, I see at least minor retcons being all but inevitable. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

In the end, I think you have to just sit back and enjoy the show. Trying so hard to reconcile disparate elements of the film from the EU can end up being a very frustrating exercise (I and others have done it before with TCW). Besides, if the new stories are good, it won't really matter to me. That's the bottom line.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As much as I've criticized the "characters in name only" position in the past, I don't think I really buy the argument that they should either use EU elements as-is or invent entirely new elements in their place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.