main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If Abrams is smart, he'll lean heavy on Lucas. He's the gentle heart and soul of the Star Wars Saga.

2. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Sorry, that should read "doesn't equate to influencing".

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Pah! Don't get me started on him! Rose-colored glasses on steroids.

darklordoftech and FRAGWAGON like this.
  4. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Lucas had not been an innovator for a while.. He is competent director and i am pretty sure he lost his mojo as a storyteller judging by the prequels. Who knows what J.J. really thinks, but he certailnly won't diss George publicly. I think it was Ian McDiarmid who had shown open contempt toward the prequels on the set. Am i wrong?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Well I would like to know exactly Ian McDiarmid's dislike. He seems to have always been positive. I remember in the SW Insider him talking about the ingenuity of the "courtly" nature of the love affair between Anakin and Padme in AOTC.
    Also to quote one of the JC members signature Cryogenic :

I have a great admiration for George. These films are very well-intentioned. All right, they make tremendous amounts of money and appeal to kids, but they say good things, and they say them in a broad way. I believe in the Star Wars films.
    - Ian McDiarmid

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't recall him ever being negative about prequels, much less showing "open contempt."
    From all I've seen, he's been one of the most positive of all the cast about the PT.

7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think his post autocorrected from "openly enthusiastic". McDiarmid knows from good movies and therefore loves the Prequels.

Watch or read any interview with him for his open admiration of George Lucas.

8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's amazing how the prequel haters love to drive their hate so damn far that they have to climb to mountain tops to scream that they hate the prequels.

I think the success in the box office has beyond proven that they are not nearly as hated as the haters wish to believe. I love them in fact, and I am one who grew up with the OT. Were they all up to the same level as the OT? No... but RotS sure as hell was! They are all very good though.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think saying that digital Imax is a con and unwatchable is ridiculous since the quality of it better than a regular theatrical digital screen. high resoultion, big screen = better experience. Also if you're one of those people who think 3D glasses dimming the image is therefore automatically awful then you literally shouldn't just watch the format. But just because Doug Trumbull and random Internet people don't like it doesn't mean that people can't actually enjoy the format. And even if it's 3D Digital IMAX, IMAX 3D still looks cleaner and brighter than regular digital projection. It's not as if 3D automatically instantly negates everything that makes IMAX such a nifty format. It still has a epic, clean look, esp. if you watch something like Star Trek Into Darkness where it flips between formats mid-movie.

Digital IMAX is not a giant IMAX film projection. Yes, that is true. But it's really great regardless, if not as good as that format but pretty freakin' close. Calling it LieMax just sounds petulant. And I'm never one of those people who automatically believe that film projection is better than digital. Just because Chris Nolan likes it doesn't mean I have to agree with him.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Re-titled thread...'J.J. Abrams still to direct Episode VII'

11. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    The only moment of displeasure McDiarmid had during the PT was being asked to fight. He wasn't at all comfortable with it, and I think, because it was originally meant to be done entirely with stunt doubles (the decision to change this only came the night before it was actually filmed) he got a bit upset at having such little time to prepare. Other than that, he's a big admirer of the PT and George in particular, as others have noted. He's never had a negative word to say about either.

Personally, I find the storytelling in the PT much richer, more layered and satisfying than the OT. And he was still pushing the boundaries of what was deemed possible throughout the PT. Say what you want about his films, people around the industry still have a massive respect for what he has done to help other filmmakers achieve their visions. It wasn't all that long ago (during the PT) that Martin Scorsese declared "anyone who wants to know what the future is for movies goes to visit George at the ranch". He was still at the forefront even then. Has anyone as informed as Scorsese ever spoken about Abrams in such a way?

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Also, there was never "Pressure from the Studio" on ANH. They had absolutely no say on the project after they signed off on initial budget as GL held all the controlling rights. When he went WELL over budget, he took the overage from his own pocket, which totaled WELL more than double what the initial budget was for in the first place. ANH was basically an Independent film with a Studio distribution contract... that is all. It was NOT a Studio film.

13. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    He certainly got a lot more leeway from the studio than most - mainly due to Alan Ladd Jr's faith in him. But Ladd was certainly under pressure within the studio and there were definite rumblings about the production being shut down at certain points (the documentary on the first OT DVD releases goes into it). Lucas also ended up in hospital suffering from stress and exhaustion. He clearly felt the pressure, though how much that was directly down to the studio, I'm not sure. It seems like Ladd gave him ridiculous amounts of support, despite not really knowing what was going on or having much faith in the project itself. He simply believed in "the genius who made American Graffiti".

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    The original budget was over $8m. Where did Lucas get $16m from? Are you sure you aren't getting confused with ESB?

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I never said it was unwatchable . yes it's better than regular digital screen , so what ? if people enjoy 3D good for them , but people like Trumbull and Nolan know what they're talking about , and it is another in a long line of cinematic cons that we're getting better picture resolution , we're not , same with LIemax - it's not Imax , but they charge people more and call it Imax anyway .

and one of the reasons STID looks so good is that it was shot on film , 35mm and 70mm Imax .

16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    So love has blinded you ;-)

17. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Mr. McDiarmid has said on numerous occasions that it was a joy to work with Lucas

You're thinking of Terrence Stamp (Chancellor Valorum).

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hugo Weaving seems like an okay guy and what he says perfectly illustrates the "filmmaking" process Bay engages in.
    His teenage overreaction to what Weaving said further cements my dislike of that "director."

19. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    As much disdain as I have for Bay, I side with him in the above article.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Actually, me too. I can't stand his movies, and most of the time when he opens his mouth to the media I feel like punching him. But that statement is absolutely correct.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  21. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I just dislike it, i don't hate it. If TPM would had been the very first Star Wars movie there would be no Star Wars. Transformers was successfull at the box office and it was a mess. ROTS was good but the other 2 were mediocre at best.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know that use of quasi-existentialism only seems to apply to "what if" scenarios regarding the PT (for some reason)... but, if Episode IV somehow could manage to exist in our implausible "what if" world for a moment... if the 1977 Star Wars came out in 1999, there would also have been no sequels...

23. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    I disagree. I think it might have been received much more fondly. In my opinion, it was the pre-existing fanbase and misconstrued expectations that led to much of the widespread disdain. Nevertheless, it's a redudant point because had TPM been the first SW movie it would have been a quite different animal. Not saying it needs to be in order to work as an opening chapter, but it's impossible to deny certain elements would be substantially at odds with how it ended up.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, if digital IMAX is better than regular digital screens with more resolution, that makes it a better alternative. In real basic terms, IMAX does not simply mean that it's a projected IMAX from a film projector, if a film is shot on IMAX, then you see a digital IMAX, you get the bigger image and higher resolution than a regular theatre which shows what the IMAX cameras captured. That, by definition, makes it IMAX. Just not as big as the OG IMAX screens. Also saying that 3D destroys everything that beneficial about the IMAX format is a flat-out lie. When it switches to IMAX, you can see the higher quality, yes even if it's in 3D. It doesn't automatically mean that the 3D glasses instantly blind you from seeing the IMAX shot portions.

25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Star Wars is the creation of Lucas and many collaborators, but essentially is his story and Abrams will not be able to change any substantial plotlines, unless he comes up with a good suggestion that GL loves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.