main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010

Killzone 2 was nowhere near launch. it came out in early 2009.

For the most part people really liked the Killzone 2 multiplayer, at least those who stuck around for more than 1 month.

Killzone 3 changed the multiplayer to be more like call of duty, so it lost a lot of appeal and individuality.

People are probably weary of killzone 4 because killzone 3 just reeked of them trying to appeal to the COD fanbase.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Of course games written for the PS3 (even downloadable ones) won't work instantly on a PS4 with completely different architecture and OS. They'd have to emulate them, which is what they are attempting to do with their entire back catalogue.

3. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Options replaces Start and Select.

4. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    if you are offline then the whole streaming PS1, PS2, PS3 games wouldn't work right?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The first KillZone had average reviews (6/10-7/10 range), but I understand the sequel was better received.

Was KZ2 delayed to 2009? I know it had already been announced in late 2006/early 2007 (if not earlier)as their answer to Halo 3's forthcoming release.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Killzone 2 ended up being released on February 27, 2009. I follow the series, but haven't played any of them but KZ1, and consider KZ2 and KZ3 to be major reasons to get a PS3 at some point.

7. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Lucky for you Sony released a Killzone collection for $40. It has two discs: Killzone 1+2 and Killzone 3.

Killzone 1 is installed to the ps3 harddrive while killzone 2 plays off the disc. Also, all of the killzone 2 and 3 DLC comes in a voucher.

8. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Remember what Sam Witwer said on that recent interview? TFU3 will be released in the next-gen consoles. Now Microsoft needs to release something and 2015 needs to get by

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Knack is the only game Sony showed off that interests me. Watch Dogs looks awesome, but I'll likely end up getting it on the PC.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I will aim for getting a PS4 in 2014 or 1015. But I only got a PS3 last summer so have plenty of those games to play beforehand. The lack of BC is disappointing.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4! Its gotta come eventually! :)

Draconarius, BoromirsFan and Life like this.
  11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I think I'll follow a similar strategy. Perhaps even later than that as well. I bought my PS3 in 2011.

12. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    There are still PS1 and PS2 games I have yet to have conquered as well as my ps3 backlog. Next gen can wait.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hear ya. Quite a few years ago a music chain called MVC went out of business here in the UK. My local branch had brand new PS2 games marked down to £5 each. I picked up anything I thought I'd ever want to play (and still haven't). I also got some CDs at bargain prices.

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    There is at least one more PS2 game coming out in 2013. Its a new expansion of Final Fantasy XI, but its ps2 release is exclusive to japan.

Amazing that its lasted so many years.

Chewgumma and Life like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bumping and repurposing this thread as the official PS4 discussion thread. We'll figure out what the song parody for the thread title will be later ;).

Sony had quite a big E3 this year, though their big used games "mic drop" moment is a bit misleading since the PS4 can restrict used games if a publisher wants them to.

Still, a pretty decent line-up, mainly driven by multiplatform 3rd party releases (but I'm admittedly biased in my hatred of Infamous). And the machine itself actually looks pretty slick (and this coming from someone who hasn't liked the look/design of any PlayStation machine, ever).

As I've mentioned elsewhere- if the 3 Uncharted games and Last of Us become available on it, I'd be seriously tempted to pick one up a year from now.

16. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    It truly is an amazing console. I brought my PS2 with me to my temporary apartment last summer for my internship, since I didn't want to take my PS3 out of my regular apartment. I have a first DAY of North American sales PS2 and it still works fine.

The price was an even bigger mic-drop moment, as was the no-internet-required things... both of which came after the no-restrictions comment. ;)

I'm a total SONY whore, so I am always *susceptible* to bias, but I like to think that I can view things objectively usually. I actually wasn't terribly impressed with the games they talked about. I was more impressed with Beyond: Two Souls (that PS3 game they started out with when they finished up yacking about Vita). Other than ACIV, there wasn't much that caught my eye as, "Oh, definitely a buy, no question."

I agree about the design. I think it looks slick.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The pricepoint and no-internet thing are huge, definitely. The pricepoint, most of all.

Pricepoint announcements can make huge differences in perception. Just look at the Vita's reveal: it was a nice piece of hardware but there was nothing about that indicated Sony had learned it's lessons from the PSP or had taken the right cues from the DS.

Yet, despite that, as soon as they announced the pricepoint, people were flipping out about it and decreeing the death of the 3DS and the next coming of portable gaming. Then the reality set in after launch and the Vita became the afterthought it is today. But that pricepoint alone was able to blind people to the underwhelming nature of the hardware.

Which is not to infer that that is the case here with the PS4- it's clearly not an underwhelming piece of hardware and Sony seems to have definitely learned their lessons from the mistake and arrogance that handicapped the PS3 for 5 years. I only mean to convey the impact of what a pricepoint alone can do.

Penguinator likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, that got clarified further as being essentially the same as the way it currently works on the PS3 - basically, publishers are free to include those godforsaken online passes that have started cropping up in recent years.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's good to hear.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    PS+ being required for online multiplayer might be a bit of a bigger sticking point, but as I've been subscribing to that for over a year already, and I don't play multiplayer anyway, its not much for a problem for me. Although they've already clarified that F2P games will be up to the publisher and Sony's F2P MMO games don't require PS+ (DCUO, Planetside, a few others I think).

Yeah, nice price point, and I'm hoping for the Gaikai streaming to come sooner rather than later.

I'm a bit of an Infamous fan, but aside from that, comparing Infamous 2 to Second Son, the graphics of Second Son already look much, much nicer, so that's good to see. Nothing from Naughty Dog yet, and I don't expect anything until late 2014 or probably 2015, but I think I've heard they're modifying their current engine so hopefully it won't take as long as for them to adapt to the next gen as usual.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I think Gaikai will be coming to US 2014, they mentioned. As I'm in Australia I'll probably never see it. :p

22. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Actually they further clarified it even more. Online passes are not allowed period. Neither First or Third Parties can use them on PS4. The reasoning is that because Plus is required for online multiplayer, it isn't fair to use online passes; so Sony banned them for everyone.

Ramza likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's region free, so you could import, theoretically.

Hah, awesome.

24. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    [face_party]My PS4 is now paid in full!

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just announced the release date at Gamescom:

North America - Nov 15th
    Europe - Nov 29th