main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Most of the EU characters I like, I like because of portrayals in fan fiction. I used to be (and still am to an extent, though I haven't read much with them) a huge Kyp/Jaina fan. I like Mara. I like the Solo kids. I like Zekk. I like pretty much everyone (I'll even sit through stuff with the Vong, but I do draw a line at Killiks), except for Jacen's evil side. :p

I actually did drop out of Star Wars as a fandom about a year and a half ago. I'm coming back to it. I keep having bizarre dreams where I'm a Jedi and do Force-aided acrobatics. :p

The internet IS run by cats. It is known.

2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    My favorite EU character has to be Mara....I loved Princess Leia..she was the only tough woman in the Star Wars franchise at the time, then Mara came along...and well, Leia got pushed to the back burner.

Kind of like Luke and Han...while both movie characters...I originally liked Han first (harrison ford sighs)...I didn't really like Luke until the books. Truth be told if I was reading a Star Wars book back then I (ducks head) usually skipped over Han and Leia's parts. I know 'm terrible. But they didn't interest me alot back then.

3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    It's a completely absurd British comedy set in a hospital that just focuses on the insane staff, there's no real medical element to it. Ran in '04 and '05 maybe. Something about kitty eating Luke reminded me of it, lol.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I am all for absurd British comedies. :D

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm fond of IT Crowd. At least, of the first two series. The later ones got weird, and I haven't seen the latest one.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love absurd British comedies and taking place in a hospital is a bonus... hospitals are kinda absurd anyway! ;) I'll have to check it out!

I've watched some of the IT Crowd, I liked what I saw.

I'm officially on vacation!! :D It's noon and I still haven't gotten out of bed yet! (I've been awake, just didn't want to get up since I didn't have to.)

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *flaaaaail* HOBBIT TRAILER HOBBIT TRAILER HOBBIT TRAILER!!!!! I HAVE SEEEEEEEEN!

Iverna and Idrelle_Miocovani like this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, Mabel has been taking care to make sure that I become diurnal. To get me out of bed, she got into bed with me and clawed my back. When that didn't work, she got up on a shelf and knocked stuff down.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The thing that amuses me is that @DantanaSkywalker does actually do the whole flail thing. It requires friends to keep a slight distance when she's excited.

I have tomorrow off, work Thursday and Friday and then fly out Friday night. I get to Virginia after layovers in Denver and Washington, DC, drive 40 minutes to Staunton from the little itty bitty airport in Charlottesville. I get back from New York City on Thursday.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay, so I'm excitable! :p

Isn't it lovely when cats discover the "Mom gets out of bed if I start breaking things" trick?

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Speaking of cats, I got sort-of sad news today. So, my friend's grandparents are going on this big trip - they'll be gone for September, then again from late October to mid-April - and while they are gone, they are allowing me, their granddaughter and another friend of ours to live in their house rent free (it's a win-win situation: they get free house sitters for like 7 months and we get to move out and life rent free in a fully furnished house for 7 months) but I just found out that I can't bring my kitty with me:( . My mother, thankfully, said it was fine if I left my cat at home. So I have to decide if I want to go through with this experiment because it would be a good risk free test for me to see if I'm ready to move out on my own. I think I will, BUT I'LL MISS MY KITTY :(

And in other very sad news, I also just found out that a friend of mine from my physical therapy days back when I was 12 just died. She was only 17.

What a poopie day.

12. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I'm very sorry about your friend, Briannakin. *hugs*

How far is the experiment house from your mom's?

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Like a 10 minute drive. The 'experiment house is in the middle of town and my mom's place is just to one end of town.

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Sorry to hear about your friend's passing Briannakin.

I think that is a great opportunity to see if you will be comfortable living on your own. You could visit your cat often and let's face it...cats sleep 18 or 20 hours a day...as long as their is food and water she probably will be fine. It is dogs that go all emo when their owner is gone. Good luck with the housesitting.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My cats go emo when we're gone . . .

Really sorry to hear about your friend, Briannakin. *hugs*

16. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    If it's only 10 minutes away, it sounds like too good an opportunity to pass up. I assume that you aren't obligated to stay the full 7 months if there's an issue?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's why it's risk free, we aren't paying rent and there are 3 of us 'housesitting' so if a month into it I decide that it's not for me, I can come back home with no repercussions. I have zero obligation to stay. As much as I love my cat, it is too good of an opportunity to pass up. And yeah, cats do sleep a lot, and I can easily come visit her.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm also sorry to hear about your friend. *hugs*

Hopefully the experiment house is a good experience for you, and like you said, it's only ten minutes away and you can easily come home if you don't like it.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Briannakin. :( [:D]

I agree with everyone else who says it's a good opportunity to house sit and since it's not far away that makes it even better! :) I know it'll be hard to leave your kitty, but she won't be far away.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you.

It is too good of an opportunity to pass up, so I will be doing it, even if I miss my cat. I owe it to myself and all my fellow disabled friends - alive and deceased - to take this opportunity to try to become independent of my family because a lot of my friends from PT will never be physically independent, even if they mentally want to be.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Briannakin: that's sad news about your friend. :(
    Good luck with the house though. One of the things I enjoyed most about uni was living on my own. Hope it goes well for you. :)

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry to hear that, Briannakin.

I am taking a break from packing. I just got my passport out because my state ID expired and I need to be able to get on a plane soon. It made me smile to open it up and see the stamp in it from 26 March 2012 in Dublin, where @DantanaSkywalker and I practically bounced through immigration checkpoint. I have the ticket for Swan Lake next to it and underneath that is some information on family history that I wanted to work on while out there, since my ancestors owned a lot of Long Island at one point. I have my fancy, fancy dress packed and am currently waiting for my toiletries bag to finish drying after it had to be rinsed out.

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That sounds like it was a fun trip DarthIshtar. I've never been to Ireland.

My husband's family is from there. They have the Kiss me I'm Irish stuff and go to Irish festivals and all that. I thought they were recent immigrants but when I did genealogical research on them I discovered they left Ireland in around 1805. And for three generations they lived in Canada before they came to the USA. So I tease them, "So you guys are Canadian." That gets them mad for some reason. Maybe because Canadians don't have as cool 'Fall down drunk' drinking holidays such as St. Paddy's Day. I told my husband, "My grandparents were born in Spain, but you don't see me drinking Sangria and then doing the Running of the Bulls." You would think they just fell off the boat. lol!

It looks like somebody has been busy today making new trophies for this site. I received eight of them today.

24. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, I was wondering how I received a trophy for being registered 2 years when that happened back in March...

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I just got three trophies. One of them I'm not entirely sure the requirements.

Looking at my title, apparently I became one with the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.