main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The role of Force ghosts in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Official Sites are a form of advertising more than anything else. Anyway, in VII:
    Qui-Gon: Luke, I'm Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan's master.
    Luke: I thought Yoda was Obi-Wan's master.
    Qui-Gon: Obi-Wan doesn't speak literally, as you know.

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I know this site was referenced as a source for that article, but did you note the DATE of that article?

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Yeah, it is a rumor that has been around for a while. I didn't think it was that controversial. To me it makes sense.

Here is the confirmation of the spinoff movies: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-standalone-films-lawrence-418421
    Here is the source of the rumor of the ObiWan/Maul movie: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...g-considered-ewan-mcgregor-and-luke-skywalker
    Here is Ewan expressing interest in coming back to play Obi Wan:

This video is about 7, but only the spinoff makes sense for him to be in, other than the ghost idea.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    No, no, not that the rumor's been around awhile... the DATE OF THE ARTICLE. Anything UNUSUAL about the date? Hmm? Come on, Internet 101.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh.

OH! It's Lon Chaney's birthday! [face_party]

eht13 likes this.
  6. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Sorry, I missed the April 1st bit. Looks like the original came out around March 28th, so it must have just been a bad coincidence. So that was a bad example of evidence.

7. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

To take the point one (gigantic) step further, do force ghosts exist because of Plagueis or even the birth of Anakin?
    I know that the deaths of Plagueis and Qui-Gon happened around the same time, but I'm not sure who died first? If Plagueis died first, perhaps he learned more than just midichlorian manipulation and maybe something needs to be resolved in the Netherworld. Another thought ...if it was the Force that created Anakin, maybe the Force is honoring the people who have had a deep impact on Anakin's life.

8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think it may even be called Ghosts of the Empire, i really think it will be the key....the blue shine has been in every film ifyou count Leias projection maybe she will get another one when she becomes a force ghost. I think you will see Portman, Macgregor, Jackson and Hayden all coming back, if only for cameos or moments

9. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    A Force ghost of Padme, the non-Jedi?

[face_shame_on_you]

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I dont want force ghosts to just be used for pointless cameos and fan winks. Only include them if they have a purpose that serves the story

11. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I can see Luke dying midway through VII and spending the rest of the trilogy as a force ghost, but only Luke.

12. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Do you think force ghosts could get into conflicts?

As in - lets say Palpy becomes a force ghosts, do you think we could have some sort of supernatural afterlife force war between Palps/Yoda/Obi/Ani?

-C

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, swinging punches at each other that just go right through.

But no, not really. And nothing we've seen indicates that Palpatine or any Sith could ever have a Force ghost anyway.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Force Ghosts should NOT be used like the army of the dead in LOTR: ROTK. A lame deus ex machina.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  15. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013

Agreed. I do want to see force ghosts, but not pointlessly.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I completely agree. If they can work them in as a legitimate part of the story, then fine, but otherwise I don't need them for the movie to be Star Wars.

As to Force Ghosts getting into conflict, I completely doubt it. As eht said, we have no reason to believe any Sith could do so. The only reason Anakin became one was because he turned back to the light before his death.

TheManFromMortis and eht13 like this.
  17. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    One of the things that I didn't like about what Tim Zahn did was to end OB1's interaction with Luke. In Ep.3, Yoda tells OB1 that Qui-Gon has found a path to immortality...meaning, in the case of a force ghost, endless existence. So, Yoda, OB1, and Anakin (and Qui-Gon's voice/conscience) should be available in anything moving forward. The question is going to be, who can interact with them? Only Luke? Only force users? Or can anyone?

18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

Fair points all around. But, I do think there is a small missed opportunity here. And there has been nothing to say Palps cant be a force ghost. He did learn from Plagueis, he supposedly learned how to create life, and stop people from dying (both allegedly). So if Palps is a force ghost, or is "one with the force", I think there is an opportunity there for a good storyline that could either be about:

1) Resurrection. Palps trying to come back to life. Either via a surrogate or clone.
    2) Force Ghost Epic Battle Royale. Now the sith have brought unbalance to the "after life", and balance needs to be brought to that.

Admittedly, idea #2 is out there. But, it would be cool to see Palps and Yoda go at it again...

-C

19. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    I thought Obi Wan was originally supposed to come back at the end (VI) and defeat the Emperor or something like that? Maybe instead of Obi Wan it'll be Luke who comes back in the end (IX)?

[​IMG]

I still think this could be Plaguis.

http://mightandwonder.com/2012/03/06/ralph-mcquarrie-rip-visionary-artist-star-wars/

Instead of the guy getting fried in the pic being Luke, I can imagine it being one of the new Protagonists. Then Luke comes back and kicks some butt!

Really though I just like the pic ;)

20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I think they could - growing up I was an avid reader of 2000AD comic (UK) wher Judge Dredd came from. For anyone who wants to see how combat on the Astral plane could look like please look up the Story Nemesis the Warlock and his after death fights with a character called Tourquemada

21. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    It's been a long since I've posted here . . .a long time!

I wouldn't overuse force ghosts. Of course it all dependes on the final storyline, but I feel it would be better to stick with voices like the classic "Use the Force, Luke!" at most.

Why do I think this? 2 reasons:

1- Simple reason: It could be very awkward to do this scenes since there is no Sir Alec or Sebastian Shaw. I could poop myself if I see Hayden Christensen as Anakin. I'm sure I'm not alone there. I'm not that ok with Ewan either. And PLEASE NO CGI FORCE GHOSTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

2- It's been 30 years since the Rebellion crushed the Empire, does Luke still need to get advice from ghosts?? Their advice came only in moments of dispair through Luke's training as a very young man. I see their presence at the end of ROTJ as a "goodbye" gesture. If Luke's a full grown jedi knight, does he really need the advice of his masters who died over 3 decades ago? I could see Luke dying in the first and becoming a ghost in the next movies. It would rhyme symbolically with the classic trilogy (Obi Wan / Luke mirror). It would have to be executed with wit and taste, it can't be a rehash.

I think this trilogy must be about moving forward. Of course I want to see old Han and Chewie have little moments, I want to see the falcon in some way, I want to see Luke as an aging jedi master, It's obvious that the droids are going to be there and they should, and so on . . . But force ghosts??? From where I see it, that would be relying on the past in a completely unnecesary way.

22. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    In my 'perfect' Sequel Trilogy, it'd be set even beyond 30-40 years after ROTJ, long after the OT heroes had died off... and Luke's ghost would be the only one to pop up, either to the mentor of the "new hope" or to the "new hope" him/herself, likely a descendant of Luke or Leia.

For the actual ST... Luke dying & becoming a ghost is just TOO MUCH of a mirror of the OT, especially given they already did that in the PT--just without the ghost (and without a whole lot of explanation... a brief reused audio with someone else's "NOOOOO" attached during the Tusken Massacre, and then Yoda's utterly silent meditation interrupted by Bail, leading to Yoda telling Obi-Wan outta the blue "Hey, new training have I got for ya, from Qui-Gon!"--so poorly handled; shouldn't need the audio commentaries and the novelizations to flesh all that out).

IF we see any Force ghosts, I hope it's one of two things: Yoda, to warn Luke of some threat sensed thru the Force, something he--being IN the Force--might sense sooner...or possibly just to communicate with Luke about the state of the Jedi for a nice little heartwarming "See? Yoda WILL always be with him!" moment. Or both. The other option, which would be more daring & unexpected, is if one of Luke's new Jedi--even, perhaps, one of the offspring of Luke or Leia!--dies, and goes the Force ghost route. A full Jedi Knight, or a younger student on the cusp of Knighthood, going out in a blaze of glory akin to Anakin Solo in NJO, and becoming one with the Force in the process, allowing siblings/cousins/friends to escape some terrible fate. So then the Jedi hero(es) left after that will get visited by their pal/relative maybe. It'd be quite the change.

...a third option would be Hayden, but he'd need some really solid direction to keep the Hayden-haters bile down.

23. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    I think we see a force ghost of Yoda in a climactic scene of the film. It could be a very powerful and effective way of inserting an iconic image without necessarily undermining the new trilogy.

24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    To end the saga...a Force Ghost Army of Jedi Knights which could only be aligned by a the Skywalker heir vs. a dead Skeleton Army of Clone and Stormtroopers brought back by a Sith Necromancer for the ultimate fighting championship fight of good over evil - no balance of the force, just the vanquishing and extinction of evil. That's pretty pulpy.

After reading, I'm sure this won't happen. Probably to your great relief.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That could be solved rather quickly, though.

[​IMG]