main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Everything Retro Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
  2. MinisterPuma

MinisterPuma Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2003
    I had an Atari 1040ST computer.

3. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
  4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still remember the 1996 Lego toy line. That was the year I really started getting into legos. Those were the days.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Some time ago I wrote a pitch for bringin back He-Man as an animated show on another board. Felt this was a good thread to post it again. And the answer to the question if I was high or drunk at the time is, YES.

Thought about bringing back He-Man for one last season. The original show not the recent failed re-imagining. It'll be the same harmless fun as the original show, and won't take itself to seriously as the early 2000's series did. The first couple episodes will be the origin story for He-Man we really never got, and it will use the He-Man story bible for most of it. Which itself has a lot of great stuff. Basically the first episode would open with a big fight with He-Man, Man at Arms, Teela, and you know whoever the other people were vs a bunch of bad guys sent by Skeletor to attack some ruined city. Then once the good guys win, He-man will like transform back to Adam behind like a rock, but Teela will see him do it thus revealing to her the secret. Man at arms and He-Man then reveal to her the origin of He-Man. Like how Castle Greyskull protects a pretty energy ball that contains all the knowledge and power in the universe, and that if He-Man ever defeats Skeletor for good, he will gain this knowledge. You know.......that kind of stuff.

After that it's business as usual. Paul Dini would be given a number of episodes to write, and he'll be given free reign to do what he wanted to do back in the day. I'd also convince Joss Whedon to write an arc, it'd be fun to see if he would keep the feeling of the original cartoon while at the same time giving it the Whedon style. Then he could write an episode where Eternia is attacked by Vampires from space. Buffy gets teleported to Eternia and she and He-Man face the Vampire menace. Probably season 1 buffy, so stupid fans won't actually think Buffy and He-Man fighting Vampires is actually canon.

Then more episodes written by well known writers who would get enjoyment out of writing a He-Man episode. Maybe comic book writers or something. Whatever...Grant Morrison perhaps.

Then the final arc will deal with Skeletor finding the other half of the sword of power, making the original idea of He-Man and Skeletor each having a piece of the power sword that when combined opens the castle. Stuff goes down, stuff explodes, Skeletor is destroyed, the bad guys are defeated, etc. Adam decides against gaining the power in Castle Greyskull, and will wait until he's older. Everyone lives happily ever after.

Obviously again the show will be used to sell toys, and will make great use of minimates. I think you can do a lot with minimates and He-Man.

EDIT: and of course you have to include the lesson at the end of every episode, with the the lesson for the Buffy episode given by Xander.

Well that its..

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Let's just have Morrison write the whole thing. The magic sword would be upgraded to induce reality warping powers (Turning it into an explicit reference to psychedelics) and we'd use that as a starting point to explore the nature of intrinsically toyetic programming, Hittite mythology, and also all of those homosexual overtones that permeated the entire brand. Eventually the show ends with all of Eternia becoming one with the multiversal cosmic harmony as interpreted through the primeval deity Alalu; and Skeletor, who of course by this point has been revealed to be the physical incarnation of Jarri, the god of plague and pestilence, will be struck down by He-Man who is, naturally, Anu.

But then we find out the entire thing was actually a prequel to Multiversity.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Ever wonder where "Robot punch" came from? Here it is.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I was always really impressed that that dub kept the ice cold downer finale intact.

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Cobra should be worried, now that G.I. Joe's got MX missiles as part of their arsenal!

(That's what they always looked like to me, anyways....)

14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Man the M.A.S.K theme is such glorious 80's. Just glorious.

jedinightwing and Juliet316 like this.
  15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Don't know if everyone knows this piece of trivia, but the reason the Ghostbusters looked different than their movie counterparts was because of likeness rights. In other words cartoon Peter looking like movie Peter means Murry get check in the mail. And this is the answer to anyone who always asked why Egon was blond.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    People bitched about the Red Wedding on Game of Thrones. Yes that was bad, but imagine being a little kid and having to go through this shocker...

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, if this thread is going to include Johnny Sokko...

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009

\m/ metal in cartoon form

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Which was lampshaded on the cartoon somewhat when movie producers made a movie about their adventures, and when they go see it, they're like, "That don't look like us!".

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which, in turn, provided a handy in-universe justification for the "The Real Ghostbusters" title, when in actuality that was just to get around copyrights held by this... thing:

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I must have watched nothing but ABC that year! lol And the Monday Night Football ad... [face_laugh]

DarthMane2 likes this.
  23. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Speaking kinda sorta of retro, has anyone seen those Retro Entertainment Hot Wheels that are out in stores, with cars based on classic properties? You got your 1966 Adam West Batmobile, Back to the Future Delorean, A-Team van, KITT from Knight Rider, and the Ghostbusters Ecto-1. But they also got cars like Axel Foley's Chevy Nova from Beverly Hills Cop, the 1984 Pontiac Fiero driven by Ferris Bueller's sister Jeanie ( I know, but they're supposed to come out with Cameron's dad's Ferrari sometime later this year) and other headscratchers like one from The Rockford Files.

Other ones that are going to come out that look to be of interest include the Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider from the original Battlestar Galactica, cars from The Brady Bunch, Miami Vice, Magnum P.I. and Grease, and Faceman's Corvette from The A-Team.

If Mattel can snag the Animal House license from whatever company that currently holds it and gives us a Deathmobile, I'll be forever in their debt!

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]