main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, one of the mods decided we needed new trophies. Most of the ones we had were the ones we had created for the Temp boards and no one had gotten around to making more. ;)

Trak - If you click on the alert where it says you got the trophy, it will give you the list of the ones you have and how you met the requirements. You can also go to your profile and on the left hand side it tells you your trophy points number. If you click on it, there will be details.

J_L - Your family sounds very similar to mine, on my mother side, but came from Scotland, not Ireland and lived several generations in Canada.
    I do know my great, great grandfather was born in Ireland but we're pretty sure his father was from Scotland.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011

Yeah, still not sure what requirements I met for that one.

3. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You are right, I had to look it up in the panel where we make them.
    It's for having at least 1138 likes.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Huh? The green vomit I cleaned up in March begs to differ. Then again, Canadians don't 'fall down drunk' from beer. We can hold our liquor... mostly.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hope you guys like the new trophies! Took me a good hour plus change to make them.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm not making fun of Canadians...just that his family can conveniently overlook three generation of Canadians. "Canadians...what Canadians?"

Thanks Point Given for the new trophies. :)

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, Mabel keeps trying to get into my storage closet. It's the place she's not allowed to be in, so of course, she has to find a way in there. There's dirty laundry and boxes! DIRTY LAUNDRY AND BOXES!

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    She wants to see everything in the house. When I open the door to the crawlspace my cats all make a beeline to go under the house. It is a place to explore.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You mean there's not enough in Lit to do that you got bored enough to make trophies? :p

Just teasing ya. Thanks for all the hard work. :)

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Anybody watch Man of Steel? Any good? I just can't get into paying so much for a movie unless they are theater-worthy. Otherwise I will wait until they come out on netflix.

The movie I really want to see is EP7. I should be like Cartman and have Butters freeze me in snow and thaw me in the summer of 2015. And if I survive I will be really, really mad if the movie title is EP7 The Return of the Gungans!

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm going tonight out of boredom. It's apparently really bad, but is that any surprise? Every Superman movie has sucked.

12. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Revenge of the Gunguns would be a much snappier title.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's true. I also thought every Batman movie was bad also. I think a lot of the movies get into the CGI special effects and don't work enough on character development. I think that is why I liked the movie R.E.D. they took the time getting me to really like the characters before all the shoot-em-up action started. Look at the difference between the movies Aliens and Prometheus. I can name most of the characters of the first movie and none of the characters from the second.

14. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I saw Man of Steel at the midnight opening, which was perhaps not entirely wise, seeing as I had to be at work at 7:30 this morning, but I thought it was worth it. It's not Christopher Reeves, but you know, I'm more than fine with that. It was a different Superman for a different time. Supes himself is much as he ever was, but the world around him is darker. Plus, the music and the VFX are totally epic. So I give it my hearty recommendation.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Cat's like to get everywhere and knowing they're not allowed makes that place all the more tempting. It's like me and doors marked 'private'. There's got to be something awesome on the other side, otherwise it wouldn't be marked 'private', right?

mavjade: can we get some themed trophies? not sure how it'd work but maybe some for writing or commenting on specific boards like the fanfic or fanarts boards?

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Alas, I ended up not going. The only 2D showing was at 10:30 and none of us really wanted to be out that late, or spend the money and the eye strain on 3D. I'm not particularly heartbroken.

moosemousse: it's like when someone tells you, don't press the button. Then you just HAVE to press the button.

So, I had a good laugh with my endocrinologist today. He wanted to see if my pancreas was still producing a small amount of insulin (it's rare, but not unheard of for someone with type 1 diabetes and if I am, I may be able to get into some pretty cool clinical trials in the future). So I had the test done last week and we found out today that they tested me for the COMPLETELY WRONG THING. They tested me for some rare heart thing. It actually took a while for my doctor to figure out what happened. It wasnt even his writing because his writing is so bad, he types everything out. The good news is that I'm not going into heart failure anytime soon :p

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Unfortunately your prostate is missing. You're going to need a transplant. :eek:

I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but when I was in the Army I was told a soldier went in for knee surgery and the doctor operated on the wrong one. So before the next surgery he drew a bullseye on the correct knee and said something snarky like "Operate here!" I was told the surgeon (the same one who previously operated on the wrong knee) tried to bring the soldier up on charges for disrespect to a superior officer (doctors are officers). I can't remember what happened to the soldier. I don't think he was disciplined. I just thought the surgeon had a lot of nerve. o_O

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I can look into it, but I'd be willing to bet the answer is no. :( If only for the reason that we would have to have them for every specific section and there was some worry as to how much space having a lot of them takes and slowing down the boards. I like the idea though! When I get back from vacation I'll look into it! :)

I don't know about that story specifically, but wrong procedures have been known to happen. :( I don't blame the soldier if it is true... I'd do the same thing! And yeah, the surgeon should just be glad he wasn't sued. (Probably the only reason was because I assume the military was paying for it.)
    Nowadays, you have to do what is called a "hard timeout" before doing any even mildly invasive procedure where everyone stops, confirms the patient, the procedure and the correct place for the procedure.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, active-duty military cannot sue military doctors for malpractice.

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That's kinda what I figured. I would hope the surgeon was at least disciplined in that case. Doctors are human and do make mistakes, but there are consequences for those mistakes... or at least there should be.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm reminded of a great quote from a great film. In Titan AE there's a character called Gune who built a device in his sleep: "I put a button on it, yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do..."

That's fine. :)

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The trophies are fun, but I really want the character limit off. Maybe around the time I hang up my username, people will be able to read more than a few pages of my old stuff. And yes, I know the admins are working hard.

I'm posting from the Denver airport. I've got two more flights and a 3 hour layover in Dulles in the middle of that.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    As much as I enjoy reading the trophy descriptions, I'd prefer if some sort of progress was made with the truncation issue, but I know the mods and admins are doing their best.

I was out with a few friends today. Two of them know my father died quite a number of years ago, and I guess the dead parent thing hadn't come up with this new friend of ours. So my best friend wasnt really thinking and said 'oh no, it's Father's Day tomorrow, I have to get something. Bri, what did you get for - oh sorry.' I'm like 'whatever, it's fine'. But I guess our new friend got really confused and asked me what was up with my dad and why I've never talked about him. Now, understand my third friend's mom died on the same calendar day as my father, 5 years later but under bizzarely simmilar circumstances, so she pipes up and says, 'Bri's dad is like my mom, they both just lie around all day.' So I just had to say, "Yeah, they're both deadbeats." Me and her broke into hysterical laugher, our best friend turns sheet white, absolutely horrified, and kinda looked like she wanted to cry, and our new friend was so confused. When we finally told her, she didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    My parents got divorced years ago and I no longer speak to my father. My grandpa died when I was 15, so I can't get him a card. And last March, my "uncle" (mom's cousin's husband) died suddenly. Needless to say, Father's Day doesn't get celebrated much around my parts. :p

Although I did buy my future father-in-law a card this year! So that's something.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I have a dad and a stepdad. I gotta call my dad today sometime...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.