main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Episode 7 opens in the middle of a huge intergalactic war ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Truth.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Don't forget to throw in some supernovas and dying stars imploding into neutron stars and black holes, which then in turn devour their partner stars. All sapient, spacefaring races will be caught in the crossfire.

Show us some spectacular interstellar wars for galactic supremacy!

3. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Totally agree !!!!!!!!

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    my prediction for the opening of 7 is a mirroring of both the beginning of ANH and ROTS is a minor space battle involving Supreme Chancellor Organa-Solos transport at the end of a war like the second galactic one but with different events and time than is currently EU lore (sorry) She will be captured like in ANH but by who? Admiral Solo will have to go and find Luke wherever he is (and offspring) to save her (again)

5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it should begin with Luke taking a nap. The camera holds on him, silent for about fifteen minutes. A fly lands on his nose. He swats it away sleepily several times before blinking his eye open and he rises, yawning and stretching. He uses the force to turn on the holo-television, flips through the channels, gradually coming awake, sipping a half-finished can of beer on the coffee table. Finally, about thirty minutes in, Luke gets up, grumbling about his "lumbago" and massaging the small of his back, before limping to the bathroom. The door slides shut creating a WIPE to the next scene: a huge battle in the middle of a vast intergalactic war.

BigAl6ft6 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd be cool with that.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Intergalactic? So we're talking a long time ago, in several galaxies far far away?

8. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Action, Action, Action, open with Action like we have never seen before, Thousands of ships, and millions of soldiers fighting invasion forces with deadly power and getting overrun, the entire Galaxy in danger..........in comes Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and his Jedi Sister Leia to Save the day and the fate of millions !!!

agentkrycek and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Why not?

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Sounds like fun, but decades after ROTJ, I would think things would have calmed down considerably. The Empire remnants would have long ago been dealt with. Rather than opening with a galactic war, or jumping right into the "big three" involved in some action, I'd rather see them focus right away on missions the new Jedi Knights and their Padawans are on, which incidentally bring them into contact with previous characters. I do like the idea that the Jedi are still not fully trusted and are seeking to regain that trust.

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    We should have more natural disasters in the SW universe. Just to keep things lively.
    [​IMG]

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It should open in the midst of a war for Chewbacca's soul in Wookie Hell between Lumpy and Jedi Master Skywalker.

Winner takes all!

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Only the fate of mere millions? That's nothing since they had the fate of billions on the line last time... :p

14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    This post, and this thread, sum up pretty much every issue I have with this kind of attitude: based on everything I've read posted by this person of late, I have regrettably concluded that StarWars2015 seems only to want, or care about, the surface things of Star Wars: the action, the scope, the fighting, etc., only he wants it "BIGGERER and BETTERER." And the exaggerated, cartoonish overenthusiasm with which he writes this bilge, with all his heinous misuse of CAPITALS and his hyperdramatic overuse of "......................." and "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!," makes me wonder where he left his Xanax. It's a stereotypical caricature of a Star Wars fan, wanting stereotypical things out of his Star Wars. "I want Big Battles........Because that wud be So AWESOME!!!!!!!!!" What, the battle scenes in three prequels and five seasons of Clone Wars weren't enough for you?

This is a child's attitude - in fact, it's this exact silly attitude that gave Hollywood the impression that we really wanted the endless and boring sequences of CGI battles we see all the time in film nowadays, all-digital trapclap that has absolutely no tension or consequence because we know nothing in it's real. It's all so much sound and fury signifying nothing. It does NOTHING at all to make the film better where it really counts - the emotions, the human drama. And yet Hollywood continues to excrete this stuff because they're convinced that THAT'S all these drooling morons want to see: nothing but "Action, Action, Action like we have never seen before," and "Thousands of ships and millions of soldiers." Yawn.

All that translates to on the screen is just digital characters running about on a non-existent landscape looking like so many ants. More of the same old "spectacle," when we know damn well that it's the prequels' incorrect focus on spectacle that distracted them from properly focusing on the intimate moments, on the depth and emotion that the story really needed. It's the trend in movies across the board nowadays, to appeal to drooling morons only, and not the people who want an actual story in their movie. This sort of "action" has already been described by wiser people than I as the equivalent of just dangling a shiny object in front of a cat. And if the people making films in Hollywood today go by what SW2015 seems to constantly be saying, then no one could blame them, because SW2015 seems to be doing a perfect job at being the poster boy for the drooling moron audience member. It'd be simple for Hollywood filmmakers and producers to look at posts like his and ask, "Who cares about story and characters? Not the audience; all they want is action, action, action." It's too pathetic.

Am I being too harsh? Frankly, I doubt it. All the evidence I need regarding SW2015's attitude toward the use of characters is to point to this man's posts about them: all he wants to see is Han Solo, Han Solo, Han Solo - and not Han the complete and well-rounded character he had become by ROTJ, mind you, but a very specific kind of Han-replicant who only does the surface things his character did in the last trilogy: blowing away some alien (yeah, look how well that turned out the last time it happened with Greedo), playing cards, flying the Falcon around, and generally looking charming and roguish. That's a caricature of a character, not an actual character. SW2015 doesn't really care if the character actually has grown or matured or anything like that; he just wants to see old-style Han doing old-style Han things, further proof that he cares only about the surface aspects of Star Wars, NOT about what makes Star Wars actually GOOD.

Hey, HERE'S a novel concept: what about, you know, having all that action really MEAN something? How about having, oh, I don't know, properly-developed characters and an intelligently-written plot? How about having those characters reveal some depth and emotional complexity, rather than just having them go through the motions of what SW2015 thinks they should be doing? I flat-out don't care about Han Solo being the same character he was thirty years ago because I know for a fact that THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE. He's long since stopped being the person that SW2015 wants to see; what I want to see is how far he's grown over the intervening decades into a more complete human being. The EU is guilty of not letting these characters fundamentally grow up, EVER, and that's part of the reason I stopped being interested in those "books," and I'll be damned if the films are going to make the same mistake by heeding people like SW2015 too much and forcing these characters to remain cardboard cutouts doing only their most basic stereotypical actions. I won't suffer having to watch characters that won't grow up, in a series of films that won't grow up, simply because they're being held hostage by fans who don't know how to grow up themselves.

Long story short, whether having Episode VII open in the middle of a big "intergalactic" war or not is a non-question; it would be more appropriate to ask: should Episode VII cater to idiots this time around, or should it return to its roots and, like the OT did when it was at its best, at least impart larger and more intelligent concepts to its audience rather than talk down to it. Screw "bigger battles;" how about having bigger emotions, bigger ideas, bigger character dynamics, and basically a bigger sack? How about having some actual human drama take place among all the non-people running around and going "pew-pew" with their blasters? Any decent movie, even a war movie, has an emotional core of some kind; the rest of it, the fighting and the action sequences, is child's playacting happening AROUND the emotional core and ACCENTUATING it, not REPLACING it.

EviL_eLF and Iron_lord like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair... I wasn't concerned for the safety of the real actors in Saving Private Ryan, either. I sorta knew they were only acting...

16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Which is fine, in the abstract: of course we all know the people in the movie are actors. Duh. But did you care enough about the characters they played to engage enough of your suspension of disbelief to override that natural sense? Did you care enough about Tom Hanks' character to care if he lived or died or not? Enough people did, apparently, because there was a "Saving Captain Miller" movement some time back, proof enough that there was enough depth and complexity to his character that you DID care. This would never have happened had Hanks played the character with only surface and stereotypical actions. Or, better still, did Matt Damon play the Private Ryan character in such a way that you cared enough about him to find him worth saving? I did the moment he got into that speech about being back home and one of his brothers getting ready to do it in a barn with some girl who "took a nosedive out of the ugly tree and hit every branch going down" (love that line) and him trying to stop his brother by yelling, "You're a young man! Don't do it!" Possibly one of the best character-building scenes in a Spielberg movie since the Indianapolis sequence in Jaws.

That's proper characterization. That's depth. That's why you liked those characters. Again, stereotypical actions had nothing to do with it.

In other words, people like SW2015 weren't writing these characters, and so the characters worked. I rest my case.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You call your tone toward him diplomacy? I call it aggressive negotiations.

18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Can we have a moment of silence for all the JC users that were crushed under those six paragraphs.

19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol indeed.

If a specific user's posts/attitude are that bothersome, there's a nifty "ignore" feature that'll make it all go away.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes. "User P", we'll call him, has already been too vocal in his criticisms of "User S".

21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It's just one of the days on the forum when enough was clearly enough.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm kind of hoping for a Prequel type start, where there's peace at first and then a war breaks out. But I hope it starts in the first episode of the ST and not in the second, like it did in the PT.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah. If VII starts, and it's in the middle of another huge war, it kinda negates all the conflict and struggle of the OT. The Empire's gone. The Emperor's dead. The Alliance's victory has stood for 30 years, presumably. If there's already another huge war when the movie starts, that's a slap in the face to ROTJ.

The more this goes on, the more I just think that the Sequel Trilogy is a bad idea. It's like "Alien Resurrection" picking up after the definite ending of "Alien 3"-- Ripley died heroically, sacrificing herself to destroy the Xenomorph Queen growing inside her and keep it out of the hands of the diabolical Weyland-Yutani corporation, but who cares?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Characterization when done properly is an extremely powerful tool for filmmakers! For as much grief as TPM gets, it has some great characterization itself... especially during the epic saber duel Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul have. When they all get separated by the laser security wall for the exhaust shaft. You have the stalking predator Sith, endlessly pacing back and forth eyeing his prey. You have the wise Jedi Master going into meditation to gather his strength. Finally you have the young upstart Padawan dancing in place excitedly, who can't wait to get back into the action. BRILLIANT stuff right there!

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would like it if the first film opens with a little skirmish of a sort. The Big 3 are involved in all the galactic rebuilding while the new cast are dealing with all the crap going on underneath the surface, espionage, blackmail, revenge against co-conspirators supporting the empire, etc that threatens to blow the whole thing up.

And they blow you up......boom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.