main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Really? I thought it was well done. I'm not really a DC fan, bar the DCAU, so that may color my opinion, but I found it to be almost on par with Dark Knight, and far better than Batman Begins and the abysmal Dark Knight Rises.
    The plot holds together relatively well with nearly all characters acting like intelligent, rational beings. Zod is rather compelling as a villian, not as much as the Joker in Dark Knight but better than Scarecrow, Talia or Ras al Ghul, or Bane. Zod may be brutal, but he has an honesty to his actions. The fights finally feel and look like two superpowerful beings getting into a punchup, and there is a balance between the larger than life noble hero and human moments that Dark Knight Rises missed the mark on badly.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Watchmen wasn't League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That's about the kindest statement I can make about the movie.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Every time it hurts, that book is exactly what I think of.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    A pile of cat **** isn't League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    LXG is better than Twilight, Beiber, or LotF: Revelations at least.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel!

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Now don't get me wrong, Bieber is manufactured garbage, but he's not quite bottom of the barrel. brokeNCYDE have that all to themselves.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was a major Watchman fan before the movie and was preparing to tear the film apart before seeing it, but I ended up having more or less the same reaction you did -- sure, they cut a lot out for time, but replacing Manhattan for the giant squid was a brilliant decision (plus did you catch the title of Ozymandias's project on his PCs? "Sub-Quantum Intrinsic Device" :p)

The awkward sex scene is horrendous though. It's up there with AOTC's fireplace moment as painfully bad romances to skip over when watching.

instantdeath likes this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I can definitely agree with that. The aforementioned Leonard Cohen is the only thing that made it bearable (and as awkward as the sex scene was, the shooting flame was hilarious and fit the song so well). That said, I hated that they cut the scene where Nite Owl offers the fire victims coffee to Billie Holiday's "You're My Thrill". That scene is hilarious in my head.

I can forgive the first sex misfire scene though, because as awkward as it was in the movie, it was even more so in the comic, which I imagine was the intention.

And no, I didn't catch the SQUID thing. That's clever :p

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the cooler things about being older - who?

And no, I have no need to know!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My standard answer when Watchmen comes up is that it's as good as that story could possibly be in that running time. I still like the squid better, for a number of reasons, but there's just no way to fit that subplot into a less-than-four-hour movie. In a perfect world, I'd have liked to see Watchmen done Band of Brothers-style, but as it is, I'm content with the movie.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It looks stunning I give it that but it badly lacks heart, it is really just way to depressing and dark for a Super Man Film, also most characters feel are there only exposition. It left a similar feeling like Scotts Robin Hood with me, the actors all try, the sets are beautiful, but the script and story just don’t click.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Haven't seen MoS yet, but from the small amount of spoilers I've seen, I at least respect that someone finally had to nerve to
    ditch the glasses nonsense

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Afaik they actually don't even call him Superman once, everyone just seems to know he is Clark.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The glasses are in, but only in the end. And Superman is teased at, then outright mentioned, but recieves a hilly reception in a rather funny scene.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, specifically I was making comparisons of movie adaptations - Twilight was quite faithful to the original source, that is to say it was as terrible as the book.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Everyone so needs to see this movie.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation...

...anticipation for the mods to delete that abomination you posted after I report it.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I think I just got spoiled for Smaug.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

But.. but... it is so awesome it can carry a whole train!

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    17.000.000 years old... comes from an anti-matter-galaxy millions and millions of light-years from Earth... Ice-Age killer...

Is it Waru?

In one of his less-powerful forms?

/Edit: Wait a minute... is the entire purpose of these videos to distract us from the otter-talk?

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    1) Someone explain to me what this "Earth 2" business is about.

2) Someone tell me how I can get my Rebellion CD-ROM to work on a modern computer, because all the talk about it lately has me jonesing.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, that's easy. The folks at swrebellion.net have made a homebrew installer program. Basically what it does is create a 32-bit installer program that mimics the original 16-bit installer of the game. Once the game is actually installed, it'll run just fine on a modern system. Alternatively if you're feeling adventurous, you could copy all the data from the discs into the proper folders and then hand-write your registry keys (which is what I did the first time, lol). Not recommended though :p

Now, unfortunately, it runs at like 640x480 pixels and uses 256 colors. Most modern displays don't like it when you make them do that. So some other folks at that site made a custom .exe which uses the same registry keys as the actual game (thus, you need a legit installation) but lets you play the game in windowed mode. Now, a 640x480 sized window is kinda tiny.... but it does save you the trouble of messing up your display colors. You have to keep the window in the middle of the screen though for the drop-down menus in the game to function properly (construction menus, mission menus etc).

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This is not my area of expertise, but does it matter that I'm on 64-bit Windows?

Edit: yeah, after playing around with it for a minute I still can't seem to run anything due to being 64-bit. [face_dunno]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    64 bit windows is exactly the issue, yes, which is why you need an alternate means to install it. The installer is 16 bit which is no good on an x64 system, but the game itself is 32bit and will run fine-- but you need that executable I mentioned. If I weren't swamped right now I'd dig up links for you, but I definitely have Rebellion running perfectly fine on my Windows 7 x64 system and my Windows 8 x64 system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.