main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Bellator and WSOF are fast becoming the home to many ex-UFC fighters........this should be an interesting next few years....

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    From WrestlingObserver.com:
    --The state Senate in Connecticut passed the bill today that legalizes and reglates MMA. It had passed the House last month and it is considered a formality that Gov. Malloy will sign it. This leaves New York as the only commission state in the U.S. that doesn't regulate MMA, and the only place in North America where MMA is not legal.

--Sheldon Silver, the speaker of the Assembly in New York, said that he doesn't believe women in his conference support the law lifting the ban of MMA in New York. Several women fighters were in Albany on Monday supporting legalization. Silver said there are women in the Assembly who support it and those who oppose it but said he thinks it is a minority that would support it. Silver has faced criticism from women's groups after reports were he improperly handled a sexual harassment complaint against fellow Democrat Vito Lopez. The belief is he's under the gun by women's groups and for that reason, is steering clear of pushing anything that will get them mad, including a bill to legalize MMA.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Great showing in Brazil tonight!!!! Werdum has com a long way, glad to see the guy do well, but hate seeing Big Nog lose :(

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    We don't have a boxing thread, and I'm not sure how many would be interested in it. But did anybody see Chad Dawson get knocked out last night one minute into the fight? New LHW champion, Adonis Stevenson.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From WrestlingObserver.com/F4wonline.com

--UFC has enlisted Shaquille O'Neal to try and help getting legislation passed in New York, with time running out in the session and odds looking bad. O'Neal said that if it wasn't for his responsibilities regarding the NBA playoffs, he'd have come to Albany himself. He said he would love to attend a show in Madison Square Garden.

--But it doesn't look good as 35 Assembly Democrats signed a letter urging speaker Sheldon Silver to not allow a vote. While it's really about the Culinary Union, what they are using is the video Rampage Jackson called "How to rape" which was meant as comedy, wasn't funny, and now is the point being used to block UFC coming into the state. The letter said, "The violent nature of the sport raises serious concerns about the adverse effect that legalizing professional MMA events in New York could have on the well-being of our citizens, especially our children."

8. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Its scary how much the Culinary Union is affecting this decision.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I have a feeling as long as the Culinary Worker's Union is hell - bent on getting rid of UFC (not just from NY, but they've tried to even get FOX to take it off their various airwaves), there's very little chance of NY legalizing MMA until there's an Assembly Speaker with actual ****** in the office.

10. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Its sad because New York can be such a great market for MMA and great exposure.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Holy ****.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I finally caught the Nog Werdum fight.

Watching Nog get submitted a second time was heart breaking, the first was just shocking.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From wrestlingobserver.com/F4wonline.com:

--Dana White announced tentative plans for the three biggest matches of the fall today while at a press conference in Winnipeg.
    *Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson for the light heavyweight title will take place on 9/21 in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre
    *Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title will take place most likely in October in Houston
    *Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title will take place in November, most likely in Las Vegas.

16. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    I think all three challengers have very good odds.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

I saw that live- they had another segment where they were talking about PEDs, too- was particularly interesting, as Chael maintains that the testosterone boosters or whatever the hell he took was completely legitimate. I like Chael a lot, but he gets corny, especially when he started using nicknames for A-Rod and Braun during the discussion- just wish he'd be serious sometimes.

Rome is a complete tool, and the show pales in comparison to Real Time with Bryant Gumbel, but I do like the roundtables.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought this was about people that know multiple martial arts, not the sport.. Have a nice day.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting fight tonight- pulling for Hendo to win, but I'd give the odds to an Evans decision win at about 60-40. Rashad doesn't have a great chin, but he's survived a barrage before, Rampage in the 3rd round of their fight is what comes to mind. This is all assuming that the two wrestlers keep this fight on their feet- if it goes to the ground, these guys are equally strong, with an edge to Dan.

22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's always weird when two wrestlers end up having a boxing match.

JangoMike likes this.
  23. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Kiki-Gon I agree! It should be a great fight. I am pulling for Hendo to get the win!!!

mindthegap likes this.
  24. mindthegap

mindthegap Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    I thought the thread can be about the sport AND for people who practice martial arts...hence, it being a discussion thread....

Juliet316 likes this.