main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Have Luke Die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by EviL_eLF, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dammit! Listen, oh citizens! And take that porridge! For, uh, me! I'll share after I'm done. Promise!

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Is it evening? It's so damn dark down in these Kessel Spice mines, one can never tell!

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, despite the precious tasty bandwidth being eaten up, I do like the simplicity of an idea of a poll about the topic. "Luke dead by Ep. 7, yay or nay". Only kinda redundant. Kinda. If you squint, really. Maybe all these "is XYZ gonna bite it" threads should have a poll option? That could be fun to make with the clicky!

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd really like to make a new thread but there is nothing to make a new thread about.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sincerely... Thank you for being aware of that reality. =D=

eht13 and The Hellhammer like this.
  6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I didnt want to hijack a compleatly unrelated thread so...

I've seen a lot of objections to having Luke be a ""hermit"" type character, but I think there might be a misconseption. Think of it like a kung-fu master that lives on top of a mountain or in the middle of a dessert, so that only the most determined/force guided applicants can be trained to be a jedi.
    He's not hiding, he's testing.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, I like that idea.

8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Even with that distinction, it's still too similar to Yoda. The Force guided Luke to Yoda (via Ben's spirit), and Yoda tested him at Luke's camp and when they got to Yoda's hut. The only thing missing was the mountain... but a remote, uninhabited swamp world is just as good (Ben already had the desert covered)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Killed by a faulty power converter.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Agreed, no need for Luke to test people in this way as Yoda did. Yoda had to hide or be hunted down. Luke has much more freedom at this point so no need to re-hash those ways from an oppressed society. He can test potentials in other ways.

11. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I would rather he didn't.

But if he must, then I'd like to see him go the way of the heroes of old, like Master Allusis; epic battle defending others against inferior forces, overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Oddly, I'd have an easier time seeing Han die. Luke's death would probably make me cry. In fact, if Luke does die in the ST, I will cry openly. If he dies heroically, I will also stand up and applaud, much to the chagrin of the other audience members. Actually, no...I would expect others to do the same, actually.

12. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Whoever winds up dying, it will be a pivotal moment of the three films. And while I would rather not see any of the Big 3 pass on, I do wonder what type of musical piece will play in the background. Will it be something familiar such as when Padme dies, or will it be something new. Whichever it is, I'm sure it will bring a lot of attendees to tears. I get more excited each day when I think of the possibilities.

13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012

Oh, I'm sure it would be handled with respect and dignity, unfortunately.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He should get ganked and corpse-camped by a lvl ?? Night Elf Rogue in Stranglethorn Vale.

fishtailsam likes this.
  15. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think Luke dying makes sense because everybody is talking about the Luke/Ben mirror without even thinking about it, it fells that natural . . and it probably should.

But, to make him a hermit? That's a like a bit too much Ben and Yoda. Besides, the jedi shouldn't have to hide anymore. Luke should be important and his death should mean seomthing important as well. I could see him sacrifice himself for a young Skywalker (or Solo Skywalker).

If you guys are writing here, you live and breathe Star Wars. Imagine a round story where Luke sacrifices himself for a damn good reason and while he does this, he disappears. I'm sure even the toughest motorbike riding fan would be reduced to tears of emotion.

I know I would.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wouldn't mind a scenario where Luke is so at one with the Force that he actually willfully dissipates into the Force during a climactic scene. simply closes his eyes and chooses to separate himself to become more powerful than his opponent could possibly imagine.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I think we had enough Space Jesus allusions with Anakin. I hope Luke remains a human being and doesn't turn into a space god.

18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    They're talking about it without even thinking about it because we've already seen it happen... with Qui-Gon. Now people EXPECT it, when Ben dying was really only done because George didn't know what to do with him for the film & didn't know if he'd get to make the sequels to the first one. Ben's voice was the only real nod to him being able to 'survive' to maybe continue teaching Luke... but when it came time for the sequel, Lucas had Yoda take that role.

If Luke was gonna mirror anyone, it should be Yoda: dying of old age (ideally) or of some sickness or something in Episode IX. Mirroring Ben/Qui-Gon in VII is just too predictable.

agentkrycek likes this.
  19. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Well said.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The death of a mentor figure isn't just a tradition of SW. It is a very important element to many stories and forces the young hero(s) to take what they have learned from the mentor and overcome obstacles on his/her own. It should definitely stay a part of the next trilogy but it doesn't have to be Luke.

21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I was ready to argue with you until that last line... that's the bit I'm MOST opposed to: LUKE being the mentor to die, since he's the most predictable...

...but, really, I think Star Wars could use a break from "mentor death" for a trilogy anyway. It IS a very important element in many stories, but it's one that's happened 3 times now in Star Wars with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Yoda (tho his was slightly different). The ST doesn't need to hit every story/thematic element that was present in the PT and/or OT.

ChildOfWinds and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be Luke either. Way too predictable and I think his character deserves more than just killed off to make way for the new characters.

ChildOfWinds and Toonimator like this.
  23. Debbie_Skywalker

Debbie_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2013

AGREED!!!!!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    I guess Luuke could get killed in a lightsaber battle with Mara Jade.

25. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Luke dies peacefully, then he finds himself in the netherworld of the force surrounded by dead guys from the first Death Star cracking their knuckles. Roll credits.