main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The prominent female character

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah now that I think about it I'm leaning towards the concept of Rebels using a new female character as well if the show does take place closer to ROTS. And judging from the show's official description there's a good chance that it will take place closer to ROTS.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm kinda tired of the smart-aleck badass types. I'd rather have a more human character than a bunch of bombastic Mary Sues.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    What I would love to see is a female alien character who's depicted as being quite, well, alien. Don't get me wrong, if the character is a protagonist, she should be relatable, but at the same time not someone with completely human characteristics, sort of like Ahsoka, who could be completely mistaken for a human character if you didn't actually see that she is a Togruta. I'm thinking making use of their alien physiology (like Togruta montrals for echolocation, which I don't remember Ahsoka ever making use of) and putting greater emphasis on cultural aspects of their species that better distinguish them from humans. To be sure, many SW species have a rather distinct cultural identity, but nearly all of them have some sort of analogue to an existing human culture or nationality in the real world, from which many SW alien cultures are derived.

Point is, it would be quite interesting to see a character whose actions and very identity can be considered truly "alien" to viewers.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I want Mara Jade to be the prominent female character in the show.

Apophis_ likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This. So very much this. The only person who seemed to remember that Ahsoka wasn't just an orange human with a funny hat on her head was Karen Traviss. The examination of her Togrutan traits in the movie novelization and No Prisoners added an interesting angle to her character that the show writers never bothered to pick up on. Enhanced eyesight, natural agility and quickened reflexes, the spacial awareness awarded by her montrals...these would've been great ways to distinguish Ahsoka from the typically seen Jedi, not ridiculously cutesy nicknames.

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not really what I meant by a more "human" heroine.. lol

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Mia Mesharad

Yeah but then the novelizations were always a bit more... intellectual, more scientific and more adult. This was the case for the novelizations of the movies, it's especially so for the novelization of TCW which is somewhat more kid-aimed than the movies were.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Satele Shan isn't even a interesting character in SWTOR.

10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    She grabs lightsabers by the blade and throws force-hadokens that blow apart rockfaces like JDAMs. This was how she took down Malgus. Immediately before that, she casually killed seven Sith Lords in about seven seconds.

That kind of uberpoweredness makes her interesting all by itself.

11. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    She's like a cross between Mace and Yoda as far as force power goes.

I would like to see a TOR era show at some point, but I don't think the carbon freezing thing would fly with many fans.

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Play the game and you will know how boring she is.

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Mon Mothma needs to be a major character for one reason: She's the leader of the Rebellion and we haven't seen why. Why is this woman the leader that people rally behind? Why is she afforded such authority and respect. We've seen how Yoda leads as Grand Master and General. We saw with Palpatine how he took power, maintained it and eventually became Emperor. But now, we need to see the same for Mon Mothma. Bail Organa has had more character development but should certainly receive some more. But Mon Mothma needs some serious development. I don't need to see her fighting off hordes of stormtroopers or anything, but something to justify her position in the Alliance would be nice.

After a few episodes, then she can go to the Mace/Yoda holo transmission relay orders thing. But at some point, we need to see her doing something to inspire others to join the Rebellion.

Valairy Scot and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I rather liked her in Fatal Alliance but I haven't read Deceived nor played the games.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    On Shan she is pretty hardcore although given the time period she was it makes sense.

As for Mon I am sure she and Bail will be around although honestly they will be in more the Jedi Council role of sitting around talking and handing out orders replace pretty much all council member action scenes (Not Counting Obi and Anakin) with political seasons. Problem for Mon is she is not an action character that is going to be fighting Hands, Bounty Hunters, and Troopers on the front line which is what the lead female character is going to do assuming of course this show has true leads.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mothma often feels like a statue. The perfect, unwavering symbol of the rebellion. Not sure if I want her in but if she appears she should be given more vulnerability and some other personal goals besides "the rebellion, the rebellion and the rebellion".

Bail is even more boring if that is even possible.

When people speak about the boring members of the rebel alliance they think of Bail and Mothma and knockoff Bail and Mothma.

17. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Bail and Mothma are both in seriously need of a personality.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No Doubt Cardboard cutouts they are, might as well just have a computer give out orders

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the Karen Miller books helped show a bit more of Bail's personality.

Mothma has always been a bit opaque- still, she seemed a bit more interesting in the Corellia trilogy- when she gives Luke a few pointed bits of advice.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Could be. I only go by what I have seen of them and that was very bland. Therefore I hope other characters get more screentime devoted to them.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Karen Miller books did a great job with Bail and didn't do too badly with Mon Mothma either.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I prefer Mon Mothma as the Statue of Liberty and nothing more.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    *snort* Yeah, that resemblance is definitely there...

In Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth, she was a political figure shown trying to get the Senate to take action after Lok Durd sent the GFFA equivalent of the ebola virus to her homeworld. She was...quieter than Padme was in the deleted opening scene of AOTC but she had a little more personality than she did in the films.

Bail was kind of a badass in those books but he was a badass in his own way in the prequels as well.

I don't have a stake in Mon Mothma showing up or not unless the show takes place closer to ANH, when it might make sense to show her working with Bail in the Alliance.

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I have no problem with Leia, though I don't think she can really be THE lead that is front and center in the action as it is implied that it is not known that she is affiliated with the rebels until ANH. She can be out and about running messages back and forth between Bail and the rebels, but Star Wars is heavy on the action and I don't know that they could really have Leia associated with that at this time, unless all witnesses are killed (and the rebels don't win any major victories until just prior to ANH).

characters like Ventress or Bo can crop up, but as for a major female lead that would appear in the majority of episodes, I think they'd be best creating an original character.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ḿaybe she'll really appear as a statue in ST. The similarities to the real Mothma would be uncanny. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.