main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Vader won't be in it, and anyone who thinks he will is seriously deluding themselves. Move on.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding anyone else wearing the suit...

[​IMG]

:p

Toonimator and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Well, if "The Glove of Darth Vader" is any indication, Vader's suit has remarkable regenerative properties! Luke chopped off Vader's hand, severing the glove at the wrist, leaving a good chunk of the glove still on his forearm (as we see in the movie), yet the actual glove the villains are after is not just the part that covered his hand, but the entire thing! If the glove can do that, maybe the whole suit can, too? 8-}

kainee likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    8-} indeed. Haha.

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    They may not wear Vader's exact suit, but the suit looks like great warrior armor. Others on the forum have speculated on the appearance of Vader's suit and NOT the character, with which I am completely against.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-parallel-to-vader-in-the-suit-the-white-knight.50008556/

This was a White Knight idea, but I could also invision a Sith Army wearing a version of the armor, if Disney wanted Vader in the films, clever writers could provide a number of ideas.

[​IMG]

6. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think villains wearing Vader's armor is very clever though. I think it's more of a cheap gimmick. I hope they stay far way from that.

kainee and eht13 like this.
  8. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Understandable, but it's really about the story, if it were part of a very good story, I think it could work. Vader suits for the sake of seeing Vader's likeness is a gimmick.

9. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    A better question would be, does anyone really think Vader would be in Episode VII?

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just don't think there is any way it wouldn't come off as a gimmick no matter how good the story is. The suit's sole purpose is to keep Vader alive. That's it. I don't see any other significance and what's worse I think the villains would come off as completely unoriginal if they go that route.

11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    You know what? You're right! I've changed my mind. They couldn't do it and they shouldn't. That idea sucks. I'm not replying directly, because I don't want that White Vader picture up ever again. :)

kainee likes this.
  12. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I could see Anakin coming back as a ghost, or even reincarnated into a clone, to go on an adventure with his son. But in the suit? Or anyone in the suit? No. That's just stupid. Of course. I still don't understand the reason to continue the story past ROTJ, either, so who knows.

kainee likes this.
  13. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I would like like to see Hayden return as a force ghost, but having Vader return as an evil character is ridiculous. It should not happen and will not happen.

kainee likes this.
  14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I don't disagree with you here at all, but am I the only one that found it odd that Palpy had the suit laying around in the first place?

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    You're not the only one... having general life-support equipment, sure, maybe. But a fanciful death-mask helmet? The cape, the gloves, the armor, the boots to go with it all?

Okay... the armor, gloves, boots, surcoat, and cape MIGHT have been lying around, waiting for the day Anakin became his apprentice. Anakin already wore similar armor on his chest, shoulders, boots in the first two seasons of The Clone Wars... so Palpatine maybe had those bits done up in black for his eventual apprentice. But the ribbed suit, the control box, the helmet--especially the helmet--that's all a little tougher to explain away.

Some have suggested that Anakin's transformation operation took days--the whole "the end of ROTS is artistic, it's not literally showing how much time has passed", so while Padme seemed to be giving birth at the same time Vader-in-the-suit was being born, she really gave birth, died, and had a funeral while Vader was in pain on the table, slowly being turned into the cyborg behemoth he became, and while that was all happening, the suit was designed & built. But I really, really, really hate that whole idea (plus the idea that Obi-Wan just shows up at the Lars farm & drops Baby Luke off without a word, or the notion that the Death Star they're looking at at the end is MONTHS after the twins were born, etc)... the films never really did that before, aside from the SE ROTJ ending (since it seems incredibly unlikely that Bespin, Tatooine, Naboo, and Coruscant would all learn of Palpatine's death simultaneously, and all erupt in applause--ESPECIALLY Tatooine & Coruscant; Tatooine's applause might be more for the news of Jabba's death than anything else).

Ahem... anyhoo. So, yeah, the trappings make some sense thanks to TCW, the suit/helmet don't.

kainee likes this.
  16. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    to the opening post:

no.

17. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    "You're not the only one... having general life-support equipment, sure, maybe. But a fanciful death-mask helmet? The cape, the gloves, the armor, the boots to go with it all?

Okay... the armor, gloves, boots, surcoat, and cape MIGHT have been lying around, waiting for the day Anakin became his apprentice. Anakin already wore similar armor on his chest, shoulders, boots in the first two seasons of The Clone Wars... so Palpatine maybe had those bits done up in black for his eventual apprentice. But the ribbed suit, the control box, the helmet--especially the helmet--that's all a little tougher to explain away."

No it's not.
    Who the hell said the ribbed suit, control box, and helmet are "general life-support equipment"? Where is this written in precise words by the Maker?
    It isn't.
    A poster earlier commented that it's not like Palpatine just found the Vader armor just "lying around."
    That's correct.
    There is a great wealth of yet to be written Sith history, tradition, and culture that is just waiting to be mined by Disney.
    All it takes is good writing.
    For all we know, the Vader armor is a type of traditional ancient Sith battle armor that has many properties not limited to but including providing life support. The dark helmet Anakin wore was specifically configured to help him breathe but this feature may not be the intended purpose of the helmet. Palpatine certainly didn't find it lying around and said, "oh look there is the general life support equipment we were looking for!"
    No way. There is a story behind.
    To not tell it (or at least make an attempt to) would be a marketing blunder by Disney. There will be a new back story to the meaning of the name Darth Vader and the ancient Sith origin of the dark armor worn by Anakin Skywalker.
    This story will be told because Disney needs to in order to get Vader back in the limelight after Episode VI.
    They are not going to throw Darth Vader away because Lucas killed him 30 years ago.
    Remember, these movies are being crafted to get the most number of kids and their parents to go see the flicks, buy a ton of toys, and go to Star Wars Land; these movies are not being made to fulfill the wish fantasy of the small number of fanboys who buy the EU books, comics, etc.
    I'm sure the suits at Disney already wrote their way through this just like Lucas did after Episode VI with the death of Anakin Skywalker at the hands of Darth Vader. Lucas had to do this, because he NEEDED to once he realized there would be an Episode V and VI. The fact that Obi Wan told Luke that Vader killed Anakin was just something that had to be written around and even though I still find it unconvincing, it works because it depends on the fans to believe it....Disney will do the same here.
    I think Palpatine survived Episode VI and Luke will become mortally wounded in battle with him and forced to wear an ancient black Sith armor that enhances his Force abilities. Perhaps he finds this armor on an ancient Sith planet which our heroes will find during the latest new installment of the saga.
    Remember, this is all about making $$$$$$$ and nothing else.
    Just because Tony Stark is dead does not mean Iron Man has to die because we have only been shown one suit of armor.
    Anakin Skywalker is dead. Darth Vader....I don't think so.
    If that doesn't compute for you, then hold on tight to your dog eared copies of Vector Prime because you are going to be in for a rude awakening come 2015.
    and Disney will laugh all the way to the bank!

18. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    That doesn't compute for me, I guess I better go buy a copy of Vector Prime.

Toonimator likes this.
  19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Um..... That's not really what I said......

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. Don't go looking for arguments on here. Especially arguments based on misrepresentation of other members' words. Let's all get along.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope they don't resurrect Vader, it ruin the story of 1-6

kainee and Toonimator like this.
  22. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    ...if there's some "story" behind Vader's helmet & suit... well, I doubt it'll be told in VII.

Disney can make money off Vader in other ways besides ruining the Sequel Trilogy with unnecessary Vader-imposters or resurrecting Palpatine to wound Luke just so Luke can don his own Vader-ish suit. Dark Empire was bad enough with that kinda thing...

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Can someone say spinoff? *coughcough*

24. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    They can reference him all they want, even if Star Wars doesn't have flashbacks, but you could have a Dagobah Cave moment like another poster said. Actually it would be kinda cool.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Resurrected Palpatine >>>>>>>>>>>> Resurrected Vader

kainee likes this.