main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The ***Official*** LACWAC Fan Art Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Thank you so much!

Haha! Mar Tuuk is awesome! I had a lot of fun drawing that set, with him and Tey How :)

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Some say a picture is worth 1000 words. Those pictures are beyond words in any language.:p

Seriously Neimoidians have been my favorite SW species since TPM so your art never fails to make me literally LOL. Especially because so much of it looks like it belongs in a comic. One of those underground cult comics preferably.

Kweh-chan likes this.
  3. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Thank you SO much! That really means a lot to me! What I have posted on this thread isn't nearly my best work...I just haven't done much TCW stuff. I've actually been trying to delve a bit more into realism, this year. In all honesty, it's my long term goal to get licensed by Lucasfilm one day. I'd love to be THE Neimoidian artist and fan <3.

Do you still use your dA, by any chance?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Haven't been on in over a year I think, so I need to catch up on that.

If you're ever at one of the Celebration conventions, they sometimes have official booths where fans can converse with LFL and show off their art. Some people have gotten gigs with LFL that way. The Topps trading cards booth last year was very popular -- it's a way of getting your foot in the door and your name recognized.

Kweh-chan likes this.
  5. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Haha! Well, deviantART is my primary means of posting my art, so if you like Neimoidians, perhaps I might be able to scratch that itch ;)

Actually, that's already in planning for my next convention. I'm desperately trying to get my skills up before then. I've also gotten in touch with someone who may end up helping me get on board with an official set of Topps sketch cards! Very exciting 8D. My magazine cover and a few features on various other sites have also been super useful with getting a bit of exposure - anything for my precious Neimoidians. I'm desperate to change their negative image in the eyes of fans.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That would be awesome! Topps seems to be fairly lenient when it comes to character topics for cards -- as long as it's Star Wars, you can pretty much do mostly anything. And fortunately (or unfortunately?) you don't have much in the way of competition with other artists who specialize in Neimoidians.:p

Kweh-chan likes this.
  7. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Yeah, that's what I heard :).

Oh definitely fortunately ;). But I'd do a bit more than just Neimoidians. I would probably focus on non-human species, as, admittedly, humans and non-humans with human-like facial features are a bit harder for me.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Sorry for the late reply! It's been a busy time away from the boards for me. BUT, thank you so much for the compliments! I assure you, they're too kind, but I appreciate them all the same!

I concur, Barris! Topps is pretty lenient with the subject matter on cards, though some have some specific subjects we must do. The "Galaxy" sets are the ones where really anything goes, though for "Galactic Files" (2012) and the current set we sketch card artists are working on, "Galactic Files 2", we have a very specific list of characters and subject matters we must work from. Though even still, there's a good amount of freedom since the roster is so large (and there's a few general factions). The list is based on the subjects featured in the mass-produced base cards that make up the set, but as I said, these sets are HUGE! So there's a couple of Nemoidians for us artists to choose from.

Kweh-chan, you do great work! I'd bet Topps would love to have you onboard on the next set. Have you reached out to them at all? I feel like you wouldn't have any problems getting hired!

Barriss_Coffee and Kweh-chan like this.
  9. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006

Thank you so much for the confidence. Coming from an artist like you, that really means something to me. I'm in contact with a sketch card artist who does work on these Topps sets, and he says that he may be able to help me get on board with a set. I'm a digital artist, so my traditional skills aren't quite up to the standard of my digital skills; however, that's what I've been working on this year, is trying to get, at the very least, some coherent sketches done. Once I've got enough to build a portfolio, I'll work on getting in touch with Topps - something I'd like to do in the next 8-12 months.

10. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    My pleasure! Though I'm going to throw some advice your way. I know, you didn't ask for it, but from your wording, I see a lot of myself (before I got my start) in you. I too am primarily a digital artist. Really, the only time I do traditional work is for these sketch cards, and the occasional commission, but before I got hired to do my first set, I only had digital pieces in my portfolio. I don't think I'd touched a pencil to paper in YEARS at that point! Literally, years! Though somehow, with an all-digital portfolio, they decided I'd be a good fit for a slot doing cards for them.

I can also speak, as an artist who's "made it" (thought that really is such a subjective phrase), that you will never be completely happy where you are with your own talent and skill. To this day, I still know I have so much to do, so much that needs improvement, and I'm always baffled that people are willing to give me money while I have all these (to me) glaringly obvious flaws with my work. Don't listen to that voice in your head. Do not wait until you feel ready, as if you'll magically wake up one morning a fully awesome artist, because there is a good chance that day might never come. You will convince yourself "Oh, I just have to work on this...", but then you'll notice another flaw (because you've improved), and another. Stop worrying that you aren't good enough and start focusing that energy on moving forward. Of course it's important to be honest with yourself, if your work is where it should be, but at the same time -- Believing you're not good enough is such an easy trap to fall into. So many of these professional projects have been learning experiences, too! Both business-wise and in terms of improving as an artist as well.

So, what I'm trying to say is, while I do think it's great that you want to focus on your traditional art and build up your confidence before attempting such a daunting project, I do think you should start submitting work now, and continue submitting new work every few months. This way, they become familiar with you, see your improvement over the course of the few months, and then once the next set pops up and that friend of yours puts in the word for you, they'll already be aware of you and you're more likely to be given a chance. You have absolutely nothing to lose, right? Worst case scenario, you send one quick email and don't hear back. Best case scenario...you're offered a slot next set! How is that not worth the risk!? :) Plus like I said, I think you'd do great as is! You clearly have a strong foundation in color, I bet that even if you feel like you'd have a hard time totally harnessing it traditionally, it would still make for some great cards. So, I encourage you to submit work to them ASAP!

11. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Thought I'd post some of my recent Topps sketch cards here, as a ton of it is TCW related! Hope you guys dig 'em!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I wish I could find the right adjective... ^:)^

XJapanRoX likes this.
  13. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    "Overrated" works for me! Helps to keep my head from swelling and my feet planted firmly on the ground. :D hahaha Thanks for the kind words, man!

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    More amazing pieces there XJapanRoX! Well done! :)

XJapanRoX likes this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh man, I whanna use all the clones in these as my avatar at once. =D

XJapanRoX likes this.
  16. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    No arguments from me, Seerow! Thanks as always for the kind words! <3

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    The main page of TFN posted this article about some pretty nifty fan art for Rebels done in the style of the old TWC. Some are film or TCW characters, some are EU, and at least two are Droids-related (Screed and Kea Moll). My personal favorite is this (open the spoilers at your own risk :p ):

[​IMG]

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee

I recognize the artwork from a user at the Rebelscum forums. They are actually quite entertaining. LOL at the spoilers... In fact, did you know that they basically used the same character model for both Palpatine and Jocasta Nu in TCW? The more you know...

19. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Here are a couple of sketches showing two major character deaths in the Mauldalore arc; these deaths are connected in that they both occur in the throne room of the Sundari palace.

Fall of Pre Vizsla:
    [​IMG]
    "Like you said, only the strongest shall rule."

Death of the Duchess Satine and Obi-Wan's Grief:
    [​IMG]

Shading, particularly for the first image, was a real pain, but hopefully it turned out okay. I decided to hold off on depicting the demise of Savage Opress for the near future. Don't worry, I will get to it!

TKT, Darth Valkyrus, EHT and 7 others like this.
  20. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Amazing ! Do you have more sketches Circular_Logic ?
    And Amazing work to XJapanRoxX !

XJapanRoX and Circular_Logic like this.
  21. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    As a matter of fact, I do. Ladies and gentlemen, the death of Savage Opress!

[​IMG]
    "Brother, I am an unworthy apprentice. I'm not like you. I never was..."

I chose to depict two scenes in one drawing; a closeup of Savage's body and a closeup of Maul's face. Quite a riveting, emotional scene. Again, shading was a real Bith. And I had to cheat a little with the annoying green mist. Capturing Maul's expression proved quite difficult, but I gave it my best shot.

Sudooku, TKT, Darth Valkyrus and 9 others like this.
  22. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Another great sketche !

Circular_Logic likes this.
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Circular_Logic likes this.
  24. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Hey if you just put a BAG ON HER HEAD...

25. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    So you guys are probably sick of my "technicalities," but TECHNICALLY this isn't Clone Wars art. Buuuuuuuuuuut, it's in the Clone Wars style with Clone Wars Kenobi, so maybe I can get away with leaving this here? :) It's a look at my first print ever, entitled "A New Home," to go on sale in my Etsy store late July/early August! It's of course based on the awesome Mythos statue of Obi-Wan in search of a new place to call home on Tatooine. I'm only doing a limited run, so anyone available should follow my blog or DeviantArt for more details (both are in my signature, details will be there soon!). Hope you guys dig it!

[​IMG]