main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What's This? More Droids from Handley and Peña?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plaristes, Jun 13, 2013.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, and by the way... What would be the plural of Dyclops? Dyclops, Dyclopes or Dyclopses?

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  2. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Can't wait for the next installment of this series. I've always loved Droids and I was able to include some small pieces of Droids lore into my 'WTS'-entries. There's so much that still needs to be named from 'Droids'. Even with Abel and Rich's fantastic articles, there will still be things left unspoken about Droids (Sise Fromm's ship and starfighters for example).

If part 2 will be about the second story arc, I'd say we really need some background on all the new main characters (what's Gundy's full name?), the name of Jessica Meade's ship, classification for Tammuz-an races, some pirate names from Ren-Cha's operation, info on the creatures (Miridon, Tesselated Arboreal Binjinphant, Spotted Juggadoo ...) and of course more info about the infamous Intergalactic Starhunters Menagerie (Stroon and Slarm).

And perhaps an official re-retcon about the Demolisher. That ship was credited to Terrinald Screen in 'The Essential Guide to Warfare', but in the cartoons its obviously owned by Ren-Cha so it must have been the one his pirates stole from the repairdock.

Halagad_Ventor and HedecGa like this.
  3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The proper plural form of "Cyclops" is "Cyclopes". I don't know if "Cyclopses" is used in English, but if it is, it shouldn't -- it sounds silly.

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    I can only take the most minor credit for that. I just took up the soft pitch The2ndQuest set up in his Corla Metonae Star Wars Databank contribution.

The wording there caused me no end of consternation. Let's hope that's enough blanket to put to rest the silliness of this accumulated convolution.

The short answer is: not much. Sorry. We tried to really keep this focused on the animated series and its spinoffs.

There are no foolish questions ... only foolish ones that follow them. The other, as Kez-Iban referred to in the Spanish Droids/Ewoks comics thread, would be the backside of this.

Thanks, Hedec! A proper GODV reference is a salve for many an ill.

As for Thall's lightsaber, well, as I said, we were somewhat constrained by our own earlier work in Polyhedron. Some things will have to remain mysterious for a while more. ;)

My research services are at their disposal. Now, if Mr. Filoni had only ever heard the name Abel Gustavo Lopez Peña IV....

Good eye, Lelal. Precisely. Echoes of the Jedi was a project done on a very tight schedule, and the discrepancy you refer to had gotten through.

The answer to your first question is "yes," and by extension, yes, most likely CEC. As for your second question, I had intended it as something newer than the TPM Consular-class. Maybe the Consular II is the "missing link," exhibiting elements of both (though, that would admittedly be one helluva an evolution). That said, some of the apparently radical difference in visual design may be chalked up to "realistic" vs. "cartoon" depictions.

Take care,
    Abel

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Speaking of Corla Metonae, I want to know how they are going to fix her story in relation to the Tantive IV and Sundered Heart mess.

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    No apologies necessary --- the more open those ten years are, the greater the chance that we'll get six future cartoons and nine more comic series about the droids! Well, maybe not, but a boy can dream. But yeah, the less locked down that time period, the better.

I'm wondering, though --- are you considering the Dark Horse Droids comics a spinoff of the animated series, or are you sticking to the 1980s? Will Mungo (or maybe this guy) be the end of the story? I noticed that the Dark Horse comics aren't listed in Part 1's "References' list... Don't get me wrong; I'll still love the hell out of this article and what you've done with it if it stops at Mungo. I just loves me my Dictator-Forever Craw, is all. [face_peace]

Ahhhhh, the "younger son" stuff. Brilliant. I am satisfied and will not ask a foolish followup question.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, what a treat- it's been way too long since we've had an article series like this!

And it canonizes subtext from my WTS entry! :D

I always intended the pirate attack that jettisoned the droids to be from the Lok Revenants (was only generically pirates in the Maramere system in the entry- implying Nym was at least indirectly responsible for this thrust of the saga (since he played pivotal roles in the battles of Naboo and Geonosis, it seemed only natural- I'm sure he would have done something major at Coruscant if Starfighter 3 had happened).

(not to mention the continuing line of thought that the droids would have had some kind of an adventure with the pirates afterwards- who doesn't want to see Nym deal with the droids, if only for a scene? :D They all fought in the same battles, afterall! Nym and Artoo could trade war stories;) )

The article also explicitly makes the connection to the ANH escape pod scene & dialogue that I hinted at as well. What a thrill!

Thanks for taking those leads, Abel! :D

HedecGa and Halagad_Ventor like this.
  8. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    A wormhole is basically a black hole plus a white hole, and the Endor Gate's effects are described as erratic, so I think it works fairly well. These terms all end up getting used loosely.

Muchas gracias, Kez. I bet for the right Droids project, we would team up. A prequel story to the animated series, perhaps? ;)

Me too! Thanks, Eddie!

I agree completely. Rich and I have merely managed to scratch the surface. A full expose would require many more pages and much greater leeway from the higher-ups.

Don't be ridiculous, guys. It's obviously Dyclopodes.

Our thinking is just the same. And, again, the further a project ranges from safely defined areas the greater the approval hurdles ... especially in these canonically-tricky times.

Shouldn't have to wait too much longer to get some of these answers, Jeff. ;)

Happy to do it, 2ndQuest. As I said, the dots were there, we just had to connect 'em. The idea of Threepio and Artoo having a piratey adventure (or two) seemed to me like a natural fit as well as a creative contribution in the long line of masters they've had. Rich was really the one who pulled together the connection between the distinct escape pod jettison events, which, again, was very naturally set up in the Databank bio. Thanks for the hand off! ;)

And thanks for the kind words!

Abel

9. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hmmm...sounds like maybe you know something!

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now, Abel, don't make that kind of joke. Some zealous Wookieepedian colleague of mine could take it at face value and insist on adding it to the article. :p

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So...

when do we get
    [​IMG]?

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooh [face_batting] Atha Prime, Cronal and the Imperial Advisors need to reunite for some Sequel fun..

13. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    Couldn't the Endor Wormhole also explain the stronger gravity shadow of the Endor moon?

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A thirty year old man and a fifteen year old girl? Yeesh...

Also, I liked the backstory of the Great Heep and the new Abominor details.

15. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Wait, does this elevate Broom from ambiguous to unambiguous canon? Smith, too!

16. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Life sure took a bad turn for Jann Tosh! I wouldn't have seen any of that coming. Poor guy!

Tzizvvt78 and Eyrezer like this.
  17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I do get a little sad when fate decides to kick unused characters in the teeth like this. I like to think most of them live more-or-less happily ever after once their character arc plays out. ;)

Glad to see Aaron got a mention too! :) Interesting explanation for the Fromm's continued survival...their use of clones against the Death Watch makes for a nice follow up to the Clone Wars Mauladore storyline, but I'm curious what specifically prompted that...

The explanation for Broom's mad droid experiments is pretty hilarious--there's some method to the madness after all! :)

TC

Eyrezer likes this.
  18. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Another great contribution, Abel and Rich. As others have said, these types of explorations are a welcome return. A very impressive range of references. I liked seeing Aaron getting a mention and Ropagu is perfect. One of those connections that is so obvious once made (which is how I always felt about how you linked Desann and the Empire Reborn years ago).

Let's hope we see more in due course.

Halagad_Ventor and HedecGa like this.
  19. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Yes I also meant to add that it was nice to get the reference to the Fromm clones repeated here.

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Death Watch diaspora occupying parts of Hutt Space is a nice follow-up to the events of TCW season 5 and what happened to the Death Watch after that arc. I like that it gives the Fromm Gang some measure of success, while main good guys like Jann Tosh get a harsh fate (though he ends up running a mining corporation, so it's not all bad).

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Nice to see IG-88's other ship get a name. Also, cool Ronyards retcon.

Also, Mungo... fifteen's a bit too young for you, dude. I don't care if Lando's funding you. :p

Eyrezer likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yay Screed! I love any info about him, considering I didn't even know about that guy's association with Droids until last year! Before that, I only knew of him from Rebellion.

*twitch*

oh wait, you're joking, whew.... ;)

23. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I missed that! I had always wondered about that ship. Excellent choice, IMO.

TC

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    And if the original version had a TIE-bubble cockpit, it'd look very similar to the old Sith Imperial interceptors.

25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ah! Last name and new species overload!

Doodnik Sharpelz (the Jillsarian!). Putch Gundarian. Kleb Zellock the Dirconite. Ko Zatec-Cha. Sollag Den. Kybo-Ren the Ropagu. Jyn Obah The Schiav. Malameu Toda. Krellus Barzane, an Arkanian trafficker in used technological goods!! Cantebarius H. Broom!!!!! Professor Akary Smith!

Zsinj executed Screed for communicating with Pelly.

Explicit confirmation that the Abominor are from the Vong's galaxy.

Whew. I need some time to digest this. :D