main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's A Kind Of Magic... Highlander (The Remake Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I guess the shame of having a clansman in league with Lucifer was enough to get him to change his name to Mormont and take the Black [face_mischief]

Saintheart and Darth_Invidious like this.
  2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    This movie tropes Hey It's That Guy mercilessly... :D

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "Whatever you say pal; you're the master race"

Saintheart and dp4m like this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I think my first exposure to Highlander was the TV series with Adrian Paul. I watched it as a kid and really enjoyed it. Didn't care much at all for the spin-off, Highlander: The Raven, though.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you first exposure wasn't the first Highlander film, then... I guess you missed the 80s. Pity. That period in time, this film in that period... it's a kind of magic.

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Again, I prefer to think of the series, and it's "Immortal of the Week" syndrome as a prequel to the movie. And in my imaginary series finale, the Kurgan kills everybody.

Souderwan and Saintheart like this.
  7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I was born in the 80s...so I don't think I was watching much else beyond Sesame Street and Carebears. :p

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

No excuse. Find it, see it and bask in its awesomeness.

Truth be told, I'd be perfectly happy if no remake is ever made. There's no way it'd be anywhere near as cool or - wait for it- LEGENDARY! - as the original.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah... but.

Just looking back on the first one it's clear that the swordfighting is... sub-par. Even compared to, say, The Princess Bride. I'd love to see a full on, gritty, R-rated remake with really-good (Gillard-esque) swordfighting, decapitations and updated special effects for The Quickening.

EDIT: That seemed a bit flippant; not to dismiss your point (because you're right -- I have the original movie and can watch it repeatedly) but I think it's just one of those few things where, with care and attention (lol), a remake could be truly awesome.

Souderwan and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Agreed on the swordfighting and effects, but the memorable stuff about that movie has very little to do with that, IMHO.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, I totally agree. It has lightning in a bottle performances, a tight, cohesive story and a very large amount of heart. The swordfighting was just the whipped cream on the decapitation sundae!

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [face_laugh]

Another bit of logic I always find a bit fuzzy is Ramirez's comment regarding the Kurgan:

"The Kurgan. He is the strongest of all immortals. He's the perfect warrior."

[​IMG]

Catholic priest admiring a Scotsman playing an Egyptian masquerading as a Spaniard
    conversing with a Frenchman playing a Scotsman's idea of the perfect warrior.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I can't say enough good stuff about other minor-key stuff hidden away in the story. Consider how the story starts -- at a wrestling match, a bloodthirsty crowd, one on one combatants. The bloodthirsty crowd segues us to Connor's backstory. And, beautifully, then there's another prizefighting match, in that backstory -- specifically, where two old and tired men are hacking away at each other, seemingly exhausted, yet unable to stop. That's juxtaposed against Macleod and Ramirez's conversation about their inability to have children and the futility of love for an Immortal: what a wonderful, if depressing combination of image and story -- to suggest that the Immortals are truly cursed in that they cannot really exist without fighting one another eventually and that love for a mortal is futile, that all there is for them is the eternal, endless battle even as they age century after century.

One point that seems like a plothole but which I think has amazing subtlety to it is how Macleod relates to Brenda - specifically, how he asks to walk her home but then gets all snotty when she follows him. This has three possible interpretations, on reflection: either Macleod's blood is still up after the fight, i.e. he's still got adrenalin running through him after his skirmish with the Kurgan; or Macleod was initially trying (ineptly) to chat Brenda up to see what she knows about the Immortals; or it's just reflective of the fact that Connor Macleod is pretty crap with women. As in, he doesn't really know how to relate to them -- it's been four hundred years since he's been on date, arguably -- and every romantic relationship he's had has been poisoned. Kate, his first girlfriend, wanted him burned at the stake; Heather was a tragedy because he had to watch her die of old age while he remained ageless; Rachel has always been like a daughter to him, not a romantic interest (at least as far as we know -- ewwww.).

(1) I interpreted Ramirez's comment as suggesting that the Kurgan's technique and physical strength are unmatched, not that he's necessarily unbeatable. Ramirez himself put some pretty significant holes in the Kurgan in their fight ("My cut has improved your voice!"). And when Macleod asks Ramirez how you fight such a savage: "With heart, faith, and steel. In the end, there can be only one." i.e. perfect technique and strength does not necessarily determine the outcome of a battle.

(In passing, in the novelisation, which is similarly glorious because it gives backstory to the characters, not to mention several deleted scenes, the Kurgan is also said to be the oldest remaining Immortal, just shy of about two thousand years as an immortal ... which I found interesting.)

(2) That shot has a couple of creepy damn lines after it:
    "This is a house of God. People are trying to pray, you're disturbing them."
    "He cares about these helpless mortals?"
    "Of course. He died for our sins."
    "That shall be his undoing."

This could be philosophical ... or the Kurgan could be thinking out loud about Macleod!

EDIT: Also, I make no apologies for spamming the likes. The fact you people know and enjoy this film is awesome.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I always took the "Let me walk you home" line to be him trying to get her alone for a "Listen, this is dangerous -- stop what you're doing" but then he senses Kurgan after she declines and she almost gets them killed...

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    "The heavier blade, Mr Bassett, I implore you!"
    "I am fighting this duel, not you, Hotchkiss!"

I counted. I think Macleod dies eight times in that scene.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would totally have abused immortality for that same purpose.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So, Tom Jane for Conner, right?

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The drinking heavily part or taking on duels part?

EmpireForever - not baaaad at all. Although they should consider Kate Beckinsale.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, sure, I just meant if Kate was committed to other projects.

Darth_Invidious and Saintheart like this.
  20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I think the remake should cut out all the stuff about the swordfighting and immortality that really dragged the original down.

Saintheart likes this.
  21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yeah because a decapitation action movie really needs to have blood spurting and lightning to be successful.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh god, the Kate Beckinsale talk reminds me of the unpleasant mess made in the Justice League movie thread. All sticky and stuff.

"My name is Tom Jane of the clan McLeod."

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Ha ha. I was only commenting on the striking resemblance he bears to '80s Christopher Lambert.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sure ADrian Paul is punding on the casting door, "Let me in! We'll reset the whole thing! People indentify with me in the role! There can be only one!"

KamSolusar, Saintheart and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I always interpreted this as him thinking he can take down Christ after having won the Prize.

On a different note, I wonder if the remake will attempt the wiggy time shift screen cuts. Thats another thing which made the original great.

Saintheart likes this.