main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    While waiting for Ramza to post up IC, let's do some calculations for others ...

Ragnar goes in at 1d20+28 from charge with Power Attack and Leap Attack. Hits and rolls 70 points damage all up.
    Ariel goes in at 1d20+39 from charge with Power Attack, True Strike. Hits, rolls 95 points damage all up. Doesn't use Stun attempt seeing as she's limited on that, and the Deafen attempt doesn't get up.

That leaves us with Rilwen_Shadowflame to post actions.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I was in fact replying when you posted that, so, yeah. :p

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
  4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    1d10+28 from Power Attack and Leap Attack? Isn't it something like 1d10+3 (enhancement) + 9 (1.5x Str) + 6 (Inspire Courage) + 40 (power attack/leap attack) + 2 (armbands) + 6 (Lead the Charge) + 1d6 electricity = 1d10+66+1d6? Plus another 4 if he's raging?

Assuming this is him, wouldn't that be 82 points of damage, not 70?

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Fine, whatever. But he's not raging.

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Is that also using the electricity from her swords gem? Just curious.
    Thanks.

(Every little bit helps!) :D
    lol...

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yep, that takes into account the 1d6 electricity damage from the weapon.

8. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Still working on post!

EDIT: Annnnd there we go. Charging in to around Z-29, using White Raven Tactics to give Ragnar another go on this merry ride, and making an attack on the dragon, rolled by Lightwarden as:
    1d20+26 (+24 base + 2 charge)= 40, and 1d6+20= 25 for damage

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, so, full attack for Ragnar seeing as he's right next to the dragon by this point.

Power Attack up. No Leap Attack and no charge on this one. So the attack rolls should come out at +16/+11/+16.

One hit out of that. I didn't factor in a flanking bonus assuming Ragnar and/or Mazarun found somewhere to do that, but it doesn't make a difference to the number of hits given the rolls involved. So that's 1d10+3 (enhancement)+9 (1.5xSTR)+6 (Inspire Courage) +20 Power Attack (-10 maximum, doubled because two-handed weapon)+2 (Armbands) +1d6 = 1d10+40+1d6 = 49 damage. Concealment check passes.

Also, Mazarun didn't roll for smoke concealment, but it passes anyway.

So that about finishes this round - update to come in the next 2 days or so.

Although looking at the numbers really if Light advises Skadi's actions for the coming round and stuff like smoke inhalation or concealment chances don't interfere, that should just about do it assuming a semi-decent pass. Skadi will only have 2 attacks as the Haste drops out then, but it looks like it's either her, Evelios or possibly Ariel who'll get this scalp. There's still Corrath and William, of course, but Corrath won't get there in time and William's probably staying out of the firing line anyway. LightWarden, Ramza, if you guys want to roll them and we see where we are then, that's fine and it'll make the update faster, since Ariel's strike is very likely to finish the dragon off if you two don't -- and I'll probably be rolling for Ktala anyway. Or if Ariel somehow misses, it'll be Mazarun instead.

I've been running that concealment checks fail on a 01-20 result from a d100; smoke inhalation for Evelios and Skadi are both at 1d20+8 against Fort, so Skadi fails only on a 19-20, and Evelios fails on a 13-20 roll.

10. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Skadi is going to back up, then charge the dragon, firing off smite evil. Given that the dragon's shields are still up, charging is more accurate than full attacks.

Smoke: 1d20+8= 17, unaffected

Concealment: 81, so hit

Attack Roll: 1d20+27 (+20 without haste, +2 charge +2 flank +1 high ground + 2 smite)= 39.
    Damage: 1d8+37 (+3 enhancement +4 Str x1.5 + 6 inspire courage + 5 holy warrior + 3 gauntlets + 10 smite + 6 leading the charge) + 1d6 cold + 1d6 smite = 53 (5 points of that is cold damage, which may be adjusted up or down depending on vulnerability/resistance)

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Guess I'll start with a good old fashioned vs. Smoke roll.

Edit: Made it. Now concealment. 100 seems to be off the table, thanks software, so I'll go 2d10.

Edit 2: Made that. My precise actions are dependent on whether or not Skadi drops the thing, and my distance to the target.

12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Your distance to the target is "right on top of it" since you haven't moved since you landed your charge, and the dragon has been stunned. You get a +2 to hit from the flank, and a +1 from high ground, though you don't have the haste bonus to hit or extra attack.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, see, I wasn't sure if it had dropped or whatever as a result of being stunned.

In that case just waiting on the dead or not dead call. Or even merely unconscious.

14. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    It's not even the middle of the week yet, but I can guarantee a good D&D weekend.

Class D&D RPG games are on sale at GOG for a bit (50% off for the next few weeks, 80% off if you buy the bundle within the next few hours), and the classic Dungeons & Dragons Arcade Game is out for Steam, XBLA and PSN.

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    [obligatory]Play Baldur's Gate 2, if you have not already. It is awesome.[/obligatory]

Ramza, stun doesn't drop a creature on its own, it only makes it drop whatever it's holding, imposes various penalties to its AC, and prevents it from taking actions. Skadi's strike doesn't quite get us there, so it's either you or Ariel.

Oh, hold on, I see what you meant -- yes, Skadi's strike drops the dragon to unconsciousness, but not to the point of death. Still, it's prone, which means a -4 to its AC from melee attacks, so just add that as another +4 to your attack roll on top of the flank and higher ground bonuses.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If it's still adjacent, I'd like to perform a Coup de Grace.

17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Dunno if it is, actually. You're occupying a space 20 feet above the ground, and it is now rather flat in aspect, which might mean you'd have to travel more than 5 feet to get to actually adjacent to it...

...ah, the hell with it. That's an automatic critical hit, which is enough to make it a kill. That's it.

Update to follow -- may take a day or two since something rather significant is about to happen. Congrats, guys!

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Take your time - and I hope that's, like, good significant and not bad significant, if that makes any sense.

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Weeeeelll, in doing prep for the update, I actually have a quick question to -- surprisingly -- ask you, Ramza.

In essence, it comes down to this: if you spend an AP this round and it gets to be 5 or higher, it'll spare you about 11 12 hitpoints in damage. There is literally nobody else to whom this applies for reasons that will become apparent -- APs make no difference to anyone else on this given the rolls.

LightWarden: Light, the dice rolls for this can be searched up under the phrase "Final Strike" in invisible castle in the previous hour or so to this post, referring to the feat out of Savage Species. You'll find a false start or two where I forgot to put in the initials of the characters affected into the title of the roll. In those instances I just rerolled putting the initials in, since otherwise the assignment of rolls would be entirely arbitrary.

Otherwise I think it's more or less self-explanatory. DC is calculated at 1d20 + Half dragon HD + CON mod. In Skadi's case spending an AP makes no sense at all given it's either irrelevant on primary damage or won't help on secondary, and in Corrath's case I spent an AP on the primary roll to keep her from a rather unfortunate result.

EDIT: I should add the assumptions for this are that Corrath double moves in on her initiative count, the dragon obviously does nothing before Evelios finishes it off, and Zanaek doesn't cast any spells on his count except for directing the Healing Spirit to Mazarun for 15 points healed.

EDIT THE SECOND: It also occurs to me that I can't count, or rather than half of 19d6 is 9d6, not 8d6. Consequently, the additional 1d6 I missed has been rolled for, too, again searchable under Final Strike.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A post-mortem screw you attack? It's like I'm really playing SMT2! [​IMG]

I guess I'll burn that AP, since the odds of this being a "Reduce to half" reflex save are sky high and I don't feel like tanking all of that.

IIRC that's best result of two rolls? If not, ignore the second.

Edit: Or, hey, I'll take it.

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    What I meant is that you reduced the damage down to 12 hitpoints, i.e. that by rolling that you kept the damage to 12 hitpoints. Er. Um. I think it works out that way anyhow.

Everyone else, hang in there. I promise, you're going to love this. :D

EDIT: And for some reason I keep reading post-mortem as post-modern. I don't know what that means.

22. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting]

Nahhh...Im not nervous.... lol...

23. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Oh dear gods... the dragon's gonna explode or something, isn't it.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I don't know what you're worried about, William's at least a hundred feet away :D :D

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't be silly.

There's no "or something" about it.

Edit: Oh, and, based on averages and remaining HP I'm probably dead. It's been real. I am getting horrible, horrible flashbacks to that bossfight, I swear to god.