main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Elusive Bliss UPDATED 7/1/13(SJRS Challenge Response. L/M AU): Expanded version Chapter 14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Apr 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I kinda feel sorry for Callista....

OK. That moment has passed :p

Lol. Great update.

Gemma, Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    LOL nice.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I feel sorry for this Callista too. Why not? At least, she is honest with Luke.

Jedi_Lover and Jade_eyes like this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Demendora, Kat-Arva, EmeraldJediFire, Jade_eyes, alex feola, and Briannakin for reading and taking the time to comment. I like this Callista a little better. She is talking to Luke and not just disappearing so he would search for her like some deranged stalker.

I spent the day in the hospital and I am on meds so I hope this chapter is not too screwed up. If you see something amiss please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

~JL~

Chapter 7

Days later Luke was surprised to discover one of Talon Karrde’s shuttles was requesting docking clearance from the Jedi Praxeum. Using the Force he reached out to the ship and felt the familiar presence of his friend Mara Jade. He quickly excused himself from the meeting he was in and rushed down to the landing platform. He waited patiently as the ship settled down on the jungle moon and the boarding ramp descended. He waited for Mara to exit, but when she didn’t appear he decided to enter the shuttle. “Mara,” he called out.

“Come on in,” came the sound of a very tired voice.

Luke made his way up to the cockpit and was startled by the sight of his friend. Mara was sitting in the captain’s chair looking thin, pale and with dark bags under her eyes.

“Mara?” was all he could say.

She grimaced. “I know…I look like bantha dung.” She gave him an appraising look. “You don’t look so good yourself.”

He sighed and slid into the co-pilot seat. “I haven’t been sleeping well.”

She nodded. “Bad dreams?”

He shrugged. “I guess it depends on one’s point of view.”

They both dropped into an uneasy silence, not knowing what to say next. Finally Luke built up the courage to just come out and tell her. “Mara, I’ve been having dreams that we were married and had a son.”

He waited for the expected angry outburst, but it didn’t come. “Same here.”

He sat forward in his seat stunned. He wasn’t surprised that she was having some sort of dreams or visions, after all she hinted at it the last time she was here. He was surprised that she admitted the visions were about marriage and a baby.

“What are your feelings about that?” he asked.

Mara gave a grunt. “I don’t steal men away from other women.”

“I know that Mara,” Luke’s shoulders slumped as he ran a nervous hand through his hair. He was in a position he never ever wanted to be in. He loved Callista, but he didn’t understand why she didn’t appear in any of his visions. All he saw was Mara and a son…and he looked so happy in his visions. He felt like a complete cad when he asked the next question. “If Callista wasn’t in the picture, how would you feel about things?”

“I don’t know.” She said harshly then looked away. After a few seconds she turned to him her facial features softening. “We’re happy in the visions, aren’t we?”

He nodded sadly, his expression filled with pain. “I wish I knew why the Force was doing this to us. If it was so determined to bring us together it should have sent these visions years ago…soon after the last command was purged from your mind.”

“Or that night on Coruscant,” she said absently, but then shook her head. “I’m not going interfere with your relationship with Callista,” Mara said softly. “I couldn’t live with myself if I did.” She looked up at him with bloodshot, tired eyes. “Even if you were single and available I really don’t know if we’d be compatible. Why should we risk all types of heartache just because of a vision?”

“I know, believe me this is much harder on me than you.” He gave her a questioning gaze. “Unless you’re with someone?”

“No, there’s no one,” she mumbled.

Luke felt a pang of relief followed by a twitch of shame for harboring any feelings of jealousy. He had a wonderful loving woman at home waiting for him. He shouldn’t be considering anything else but finding a way to understand and stop these visions.

“I don’t know what to do,” Mara moaned. “Why are these visions assaulting my dreams?” She looked over to him. “I thought you could help. What are we going to do?”

“I don’t know, but we need to find a way to stop them.”

Mara hastily averted her eyes. “So you want to end the visions and let things get back to normal, also?”

Luke wasn’t sure but he thought he heard disappointment in her voice. He made a gesture of resignation. “We are limited in our choices.” He paused slightly and took a deep breath. “I take that back. We have many options available but none that we can do with a clear conscious or without a lot of heartbreak.”

Mara’s head fell backwards against the seat backrest. “Damn it! Why is the Force doing this to me…to us? Why is it teasing us with visions of happiness and a family when we can’t act on it? It’s like it enjoys torturing us.”

“I don’t know why it’s happening, Mara,” Luke said softly feeling heartsick. “We have to trust the Force.”

Mara gave a sarcastic laugh. “I trust the Force just as much as I trust a Hutt.”

“Don’t say that Mara. I’m sure the Force will guide us.” He stood. “Can you stay a few days? I can get you a guest room.”

She looked at him suspiciously. “Why?”

Luke took a deep breath. “I think it is time that I discuss my visions with Callista. She was a trained Jedi Knight of the Old Republic. She knows more about the Force than I do.”

Mara’s jaw dropped open in surprise. “You are going to ask your girlfriend what you should do about erotic dreams you are having about me?”

Luke gave her a puzzled look. “I’m dreaming about a wife and a son. I haven’t had any…explicit visions of a sexual nature…” He stopped and gaped at her before a playful grin spread across his face. “Have you?”

Mara blushed fiercely. “Shut up.”

“You have!” Luke chuckled despite the awkwardness of the situation. “Was I any good?”

She stood and smacked him on the shoulder. “Leave before I kill you and end my Force-induced torment.”

“Okay, okay.” Luke moved out of the cockpit while trying to hide a smirk. “I’ll send an apprentice to help with any bags you might have and show you to your quarters.”

As Luke moved down the boarding ramp all amusement drained away as a sense of foreboding hit him and his heart started beating anxiously. This was one conversation with Callista he absolutely did not want to have.

alex feola likes this.
  5. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Love it! Its absolutely great!

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Bwhwhahahaha. That last but was great. Luke, of course you were good ;)

“I don’t know, but we need to find a way to stop them.”

I know how to stop them! Get married and kriff eachother's brains out! That is my solution to every LM problem, but in this case it would work!

Gemma likes this.
  7. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    nah. They would feel guilty.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super conversation, but I agree. They should've had the visions earlier then they could have gone full steam ahead [face_dancing] But perhaps despite Callista's presence, they're readier now than then. [face_thinking]

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Well, at least now they know that they are in the same situation. It's good, although a bit weird, that Luke wants to tell Callista everything. I hope she understands.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, if he told her about Mara's sex dreams that would be weird, but he doesn't even know exactly what Mara dreamed about other than it was erotic. Luke already told Callista everything other than the name of the woman he was married to in his dreams. Luke didn't know that Mara was having the same Force visions about being married and with a kid.

If it was just one person having these visions he could maybe think it was merely a dream or he subconsciously had a thing for Mara or was having second thoughts about Callista and his visions were wishful thinking. But since Mara is having the same exact visions about a marriage and son then it is convincing proof that these are Force visions.

Who else knows more about the Force than Callista? I guess he could talk to Bodo Baas the gate keeper of the Jedi Holocron...that is if he hadn't irritated Master Baas. ;)

I don't know, I think Luke would want to be upfront with Callista. [face_thinking]

Hazel likes this.
  11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Don't kill him, Mara! He may prove to be...useful....later. [face_devil]

Anyway, I am sorry I am behind but am glad you're doing a new story. I always love your twists to canon and can't wait to read more of this!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  12. Kat-Arva

Kat-Arva Jedi Padawan

Apr 7, 2013
    Well, now it's time for Callista to disappear. She's smart woman and Luke with Mara are meant for each other. [face_love]

I doubt very much that Jedi of the Old Republic would know something-- anything about those visions. Love was forbidden and all... She had loved... But there's noting much she can help them. Oh, she can stop relationship with Luke... Thought both Jade and Skywalker will feel very uneasy if she does.
    I'm confused.

P.S. Hope the next chapter will make things clear.

Demendora and Jedi_Lover like this.
  13. Kat-Arva

Kat-Arva Jedi Padawan

Apr 7, 2013

Jade_eyes likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004

An Old Republic Jedi might not know a lot about love (although she did belong to a Jedi sect that did allow attachment), but they should know about visions. I think discussing visions is a good way to go. After all if Anakin said to Yoda, "I have a friend who is pregnant and I am having dreams about her losing her baby. What should I do?"

Maybe Yoda would say, "Go to an Obstetrician she should. Hmmm...yes, yes. Professional she should seek."

Then maybe Anakin would have thought more clearly when this conversation occurred:

Palpatine: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

Anakin: No.

Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.

Anakin: He could actually...save people from death?

Palpatine: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

At this point Anakin might have said, "I really don't want to wait until she is almost dead to try to bring her back to the land of the living and...hey...wait...why do you know so much about the Sith? Wouldn't a Sith be the only person who would know how to teach this technique?"

Anakin runs away and tells Yoda who sends a hundred Jedi up to capture Palpatine and run a Midiclorian test on him so they can verify if he is a Force user or not.

Anyway, right now Luke wants to keep his relationship with Callista. He is in love with her and although he sees a vision of a great life with Mara...he is reluctant to let go of what he has.

15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I think Karrde is right...You say he is reluctant to let go of what he has..maybe because he fears (like Karrde said) if he tries and fails..he'll have lost what he had. He fears losing that...perhaps because he thinks its his only chance.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am just trying to put myself in Luke's boots. He is in love with Callista. When he talked to Mara about her his main complaint was Callista wasn't happy and he thought she was about to leave him. His happiness is crumbling because he is sure his bad luck with women was going to strike again with more heartache with Callista. I am sure if Callista gave up her quest for the Force and just accepted she can't touch the Force and decided to appreciate what she has...then Luke would be ecstatically happy...until he decides he really wants a family.

You have to remember, other than kissing Mara that one time, they have been platonic friends. So far Luke hasn't had any of the sex dreams. He sees Mara as his wife and a son. If you were happy in a committed relationship and you kept having a dream about your boyfriends handsome cousin...would you dump your lover for another person who you have no idea you will be compatible with and also you have no certainty that the dream will come true?

This has to be tough for Luke. I know we all want him to dump the bodysnatcher and knock boots with Mara, but wouldn't that be OOC at this point?

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Well of course it would.And no I wouldn't. But I still think that's the case..You're right, Luke's relationship tally sucks..and he's finally found someone who isn't running from him or dying on him....Maybe he is really in love but...I feel like playing devil's advocate.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You are good at that. ;) I know you guys are impatient for bootknocking. This is why it is taking so long to write this...I have to find a way to extricate Luke from his current relationship.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

And I completely understand that.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Don't mind me...I am heavily medicated with a large amount of antibiotics which have the side affect of making me confused. It is like posting while drunk. I was talking to a friend on FB about the Star Wars comics and then I accidentally started writing on the wrong post. So instead I was posting on my niece's FB wall. She just announced something about her pregnancy and I asked, "Is that canon or infinities." o_O

Gemma likes this.
  21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm sure she was confused

Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    I think, even if Callista leaves, LM wont jump into new relationship. It would be awkward...and strange..and like pink bantha in the room. I can even imagine this dialogue.
    -Well...
    -Well...
    -Callists left.
    -I've noticed.
    -And the Force...
    -What about it?
    -Oh, nothing!

Kat-Arva and Jade_eyes like this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    'Dora, I was kinda sorta hoping as soon as she left, they'd hop into the sack [face_laugh] !!!!! Shame on me! [face_laugh] !! Making up for lost time. ;)

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Jade_eyes, Demendora, EmeraldJediFire, ginchy, Kat-Arva, Hazel and Briannakin for reading and the really interesting conversations over this story. :D

Chapter 8

Luke found Callista in their quarters reading a centuries-old Jedi tome recently found within the ruins of an ancient Jedi temple on Dantooine. This was a common sight for Luke, since her arrival on Yavin IV Callista had busied herself with research. She was an invaluable asset to Tionne, the Jedi Praxeum’s historian, but Luke knew most of her studies were centered on restoring her connection to the Force.

When she heard him enter she looked up from her book and beamed at him, but then her smile quickly faltered. She obviously could see he was upset. “What’s wrong Luke? Did you have another vision?”

He went to the couch and beckoned her over. “Callista, we need to talk.”

He could see her visibly stiffen and he sighed realizing that particular sentence rarely led to pleasant conversations. He sat down and waited for her to join him.

She stood from her desk and walked over to him her expression filled with uneasy worry. She sat down, her posture tense. “What is it?”

Luke drew in a deep breath and steadied his nerves. “Mara Jade is here. She landed a little while ago.”

Callista closed her eyes and her mouth drew into a tight line. “Is she the one you’ve been dreaming about?”

“Yes, and she’s having the same visions.”

She slumped dejectedly on the couch as the color drained from her face. “I see. Are you here to break up with me?”

“No, no.” He reached out to hold her hands in his. “She wants…we want to know how to stop the visions.”

She couldn’t conceal her surprise. “Why would you want to do that?”

His eyes widened. “Why? Because I love you. And Mara doesn’t want to break up our relationship. I know you never really trusted her because of her background, but she is an honorable person. This is bothering her just as much as it is me.”

She gave him a small, weary smile. “Luke, I don’t think there is a way to stop the visions. If the Force wants you to see them, it will not be denied. You would have to cut yourself away from the Force completely to block out its message.”

“Are you suggesting ysalamiri?”

She scoffed. “No!” She gave him a look of sad resignation. “I’m saying the Force is guiding you somewhere…to someone…and that person is not me.” She stood and moved to their bedchamber.

Luke followed her concerned. “Callista, there has to be a way to solve this problem.”

She pulled a suitcase out of their closet. “There is. I leave and search for the Force and you stay and search for your destiny.”

The air left his lungs as he sat down heavily on the corner of his bed. “You’re leaving. Callista! I didn’t cheat on you.”

Her face softened as she went over and sat next to him. “I know Luke. You are a wonderful man. You would never do that to me. You would stay with me forever if I let you…but I can’t let you.”

“No, no, no, this can’t be happening,” Luke moaned as he felt an almost crippling sense of despair and anguish well up inside of him. “I love you. Please don’t leave.”

She reached up and caressed his face before she leaned in and kissed him softly. “I can’t give you the family you want and I know I will always obsess over restoring my connection to the Force. I love you Luke, but I can’t find a way for both of us to be happy together. We want different things in life.” She leaned in and hugged him tightly. “Luke, your destiny lies on a different path…with a different person.”

He held her close as a soft sob escaped him. “You’re my last chance for happiness, Callista.”

She pulled away from him and gave him a wane smile. “No, there is another. I think it’s time you realized that.”
    Callista didn’t allow him time to convince her to stay. She knew she had to leave and this was the best situation. Although it stung that Luke was dreaming about another woman, it was probably for the best. She had been terribly unhappy for months. Living among the Jedi only served as a reminder that the Force abandoned her. She sometimes felt envy and resentment when she watched the student practice their skills. It wouldn’t be so bad if she could at least feel the Force…even if she could not manipulate it. The Force was her constant companion for decades. It flowed through her and she gained comfort in knowing she was never alone. But now, despite being surrounded with a world full of life and the love of a wonderful man…she felt alone.

She was telling him the truth when she said she loved him. She loved him deeply, but she also knew she couldn’t live the rest of her life without the Force. She would search for a way to restore her powers until her dying day… and that wasn’t fair to Luke. She knew the answer to her questions would not be found here at the Praxeum. Even the Jedi Holocron gatekeeper Bodo Baas could not help her. During the last few weeks she pondered a way to leave without breaking Luke’s heart…and the Force provided her a way.

She packed her belongings and called Tionne to see if she could arrange for the Temple Shuttle to take her off the jungle moon.

Luke sat in their quarters silently watching her pack. She knew he was in intense emotional pain and it broke her heart. He occasionally tried to convince her to stay, but she brushed off his pleas. This needed to be done.

Within hours she was standing at the door of their quarters, suitcases in hand. “I’m sorry things didn’t work out for us Luke, but you need to find your destiny and it isn’t with me.”

He grabbed her up in his arms. “Please don’t do this.” His words came out hoarse and pleading. She put down the bags and returned the embrace.

Looking up into his beautiful blue eyes she smiled sadly. “Luke, you and I both know this is for the best. You may not think so now, but eventually when you hold your son in your arms…you’ll know.” She reached up and cupped his face with her hands. “I’ll always love and remember you.” She leaned in and kissed him softly before breaking away from him and picking up her bags. “Goodbye Luke.”

Luke could only watch as the woman he loved walked out the door and out of his life.

Jade_eyes and alex feola like this.
  25. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    IS THAT THE END??????

Favorite line: Luke is hanging on to Callista because he doesn’t want to give up his dream of having a wife and family. He’s not holding Callista close to his heart…he’s embracing an idea.”

Great stuff, girl!

Jade_eyes and Jedi_Lover like this.