main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The prominent female character

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    The Statue of Liberty has more personality.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

They'll just use the real Mon Mothma as a statue.

But since Caroline Blakiston is getting old, she'll be replaced by an actual statue.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    The woman appears for a whole two minutes and now she's a statue? Good grief..

It's gotta be Mothma for me. As someone else said, we need to see why and how she became such an important figure in the Alliance.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Have you seen her in the EU?

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I've read a few post-ROTJ books but I've brainbleached the memories of the Jedi Academy Trilogy so there's not much left there...

Besides, TV canon is of a higher order, not sure her portrayal in different books by different writers really doesn't say much.

And my level of interest is also in part caused by her great scenes in RotS which were sadly cut.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Haven't seen those- though I read the novelisation, which has them.

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    She is not going to be lead but she is going to be prominent makes no sense for her not to be

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Arguably that could be established just based on the ROTS deleted scenes. But that said, even if she appears in Rebels, she wouldn't need to be a "prominent character" for the audience to understand how and why she got to be important to the Alliance. It would only take one arc.

themetresgained likes this.
  9. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    I think she was in one of the JK games.

10. John Cena

John Cena Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2013
    I hope for a new female character though--a feisty badass who is fun and entertaining to watch and a good leader (but don't have the other characters talk about what a good leader she is, let the viewers decide that on our own). [edited]

Edit: Advertisement is not allowed.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, what? I like Grey's but I can't think of any association with Star Wars whatsoever.

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree, in the sense that the on screen depictions of Organa and Mothma haven't exactly leapt off the screen at me, either, but short of a complete backstory overhaul, Bail, Mon and, to a lesser extent (given his non-appearance in the films) Garm Bel Iblis must play a role of some import, assuming the founding of the actual Alliance is ever even hinted at.

I know some feel political characters have little-to-no place in a series like this ("the kids won't like it," or some such). As we all know darn well that SW has always aspired to more than just children (yes, even in an animated series), this is, to me, a terribly half-sighted notion. That said, I think they who have suggested these characters would likely fill a smaller role, something akin to the Jedi Council in TCW, have it just about right. Personally, I think that just as watching Palpatine manipulate people and shape events according to his design was great, I could find the spiritual opposite (charismatic leaders inspiring systems and entire peoples to rally around a just cause) just as thrilling. It all hinges on the execution, of course, and gifting these leaders with more engaging personalities would probably be a wise move.

Now to the topic of the female lead, well, just as with the male leads, I'd like to think that we'll see original characters fill these roles, with the prominent supporting roles going to known entities. I'm ready to be surprised, Lucasfilm!

Just as a final note, though I don't think there's even a snowball's chance, I'd personally love to see Kea Moll make an appearance of three. As I said in the "Droids and Ewoks" thread, Moll "is a character just primed and ready to be a force in Rebels. She's the perfect age during the 'Dark Times,' and what backstory we have for her, as a member of the fledgling, anti-Imperial, Annoo resistance, already makes her the perfect candidate for a [prominent] role in the series."

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know a lot of adults don't like the political storylines either but I wish the writers would not underestimate what kids can understand. I'm always surprised at the depth of topics that my kids can grasp; sometimes they give me a new perspective on things. Underestimating children really isn't cool.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    This is absolutely true. I'm not going to pretend I understood all of the political aspects of TPM when I watched it as a child, but I definitely got the gist (I was 9 or so) and excluding things just because it won't attract children just sells children short.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Has anyone wondered what this prominent female character will wear yet? :b

16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    This, exactly.

It's easy to underestimate a child's ability to comprehend, but the truth is that, generally speaking, there's no need to talk down to kids, or use over-expository dialog as a means of ensuring that any intended message is received (and I find that it's often folks who aren't parents themselves who fall into the trap of this line of thinking). Kids just tend to "get it," and if something flies a bit over their heads, you know what they tend to do? They ask questions.

Consider the features. While it may be true that the films were not composed of layers upon layers of depth and subtlety, they still managed to get their point across to the kids without ever compromising the considerations of the adult audience, and I patently reject the notion that the franchise must now suddenly begin to pander to children to make sure that they understand the message behind Star Wars, of all things.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Hopefully some more clothes, this time! :D

Darth_Pevra and kubricklynch like this.
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The worst example of "stupid underestimation of the intelligence of children" that I heard of regarding TCW, was an apparent edict from GL that Aurra Sing should not be shown using the Force on screen - in case children confused her with Ventress.

The reasoning was that AV was a tall, slender, pale-skinned, bald bad-girl Force user. AS was a tall, slender, pale-skinned, mostly bald (but with long scraped together topknot tail) bad girl. If she was shown also using the Force, obviously the feeble minds of children would be incapable of distinguishing them. :rolleyes: Despite the fact that they don't actually look that alike, and AS has a freakin radio antenna sticking out of her head.

Yeah. That one is just insulting to children's intelligence.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I get this concern... but at the same time, don't you think it's a bit silly to fault George Lucas for having kids' perspectives in mind? Even if he's dead wrong... because, ultimately, let's be honest: that concern probably doesn't just come from a place of defending the intelligence of children, so much as it comes from a place of being an adult who wants to see Aurra Sing use the Force...

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I fault him when he assumes that "kids' perspective" means "dumb" or "incapable of grasping deeper concepts."

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not to mention the no subtitles rule.. And wasn't there something about not showing Shaak Ti earlier because they thought kids would confuse her with Ahsoka? *facepalm*

22. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Hey, dem togrutans all look same.

Togruta likes this.
  23. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Laboda na rowka? Inkabunga!

Now don't you wish you had some subtitles to go with this post? :p

Okay, I'll be nice: Is that real? Incredible!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What is the no subtitles rule? There was plenty of subtitles. Every time someone spoke Huttese there was subtitles.

Or at least I think there was. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I guess the huttese scenes could all have been handled via protocol droids rather than subtitles. I need to recheck..

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Eechuta.

Oops, can't do it, it's a TOS violation.

My kids have heard it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.