main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me that strongly dislikes Mace Windu and thinks he is overrated as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CommanderTano96, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    No just an observation. I mean this thread is about Mace is it not? Hence no reference about Yoda or Obi-Wan. I was also referring to an earlier point about the way Mace treated Anakin.

I've said before I like Mace, I didn't have any problems with him whatsoever. Yeah he did make mistakes just like every other Jedi (Including Yoda and Obi-Wan). He could have shown Anakin a little bit more respect from time to time. But ultimately he loved the Jedi and the Republic, and was willing to do what was necessary to ensure there survival. That's the reason why i liked him, it's just a shame he was betrayed.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Well argued, but we don't see that side of Mace because of the Jedi 'dogma' that he has been indoctrinated in since youth. This is exactly what the Jedi represent for some people (Palpatine included). They ignore their passions altogether and only use people as means to an end. Albeit, Mace doesn't seem the most warm-hearted guy you ever saw, even as a Jedi. But even if he spoke more softly, I don't think it would have made any difference as to the outcome.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not many fans in general, only those many fans who dislike Mace for no reason other than the color of his skin.

To suggest that there are no racist fans in Star Wars would be absurd, but we are not going to derail this thread with that polarizing debate. Take it to pm, or to the appropriate forum.

rumsmuggler and GGrievous like this.
  4. Ulthane

Ulthane Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2013
    I loved the Mace Windu character. I didn't care for Sam playing him. Samuel L. Jackson is the same in every movie. It's so old. He never plays a different character. Always an attitude/trying to be bad ass. The scene in the Phantom Menace when he says "No, he will not be trained" he was sitting there like his previous roles, arm hanging over the chair, trying to look cool. It was horrible, I cringe every time I see it. It looks like he should be holding a cigarette in his hand. I hate Sam.

Love the Mace character though, books do him justice.

5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm the biggest opponent of shoehorning cool, "badass" celebs in Star Wars movies, but Samuel L. Jackson is Mace Windu. Perfectly inhabited character.

rumsmuggler and Alexrd like this.
  6. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I really like Mace Windu the character. He really is a model Jedi for others of the Order to look up to, and the Vaapad style of fighting he devised is awe inspiring. You can really get more of a sense who he really is in the books. For the movies though, I certainly wouldn't have been upset if someone other than Samuel L. Jackson had played the role. I just always thought he over played the character. He went to such an extent to show no emotion that he came off as cold and uncaring, which isn't Mace Windu at all.

Ulthane likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I enjoyed the contrast he provided. In the same way that Han Solo did in the OT, Mace's character provided a visceral counterpoint to the contemplative earnestness of many of the other characters.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think the problem with him is the same problem that infects a lot of the PT, wooden acting. They turned an entertaining actor into a giant piece of wood

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    He sure didn't look or act wooden in the arena on Geonosis... he snuck up like a badass and put his blade to Jango's throat. Never seen a Jedi do that before and his party line was smooth... the only thing I didn't like was the big looping over dramatic swing that removed Fett's helmet. Mace was the best Jedi in that battle and other than that one swing, everything else about the performance was spot on.

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Wooden acting only infected the PT? Sorry. I don't agree. And I found nothing wooden by Sam Jackson's acting. Then again, I'm not one of those who believe he should only portray Shaft.

11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That is your God given right

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't find anything wooden about "this party's over."

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It was Mace Windu that gave General Grievous that cough when he force pushed a fleeing GG from a long distance. I forget which Clone Wars series that scene was from..

Jedi Knight Fett and rumsmuggler like this.
  15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I didn't realize Mace Windu's character was from the 70s. Cool

Jedi Knight Fett and rumsmuggler like this.
  16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The original Cartoon Network Microseries.

The epic moment is at 12:52

dolphin and rumsmuggler like this.
  17. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I used to like Mace, until I started watching TCW/EU stories/fanfics, etc all from Anakin's perspective. Mostly, it paints Windu as already branding him a Sith long before he turned, so everything that happened to the Jedi Order, was self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think it's even fair at all to place the blame on Windu, while he was the most vocal and harsh on Anakin, Yoda and (often) Obi-wan agreed with everything Windu said and did.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    One could pull arguments for pretty much every character that he's "overrated" but I think that it simply comes down to personal likes and dislikes.
    Mace most certainly isn't overrated, he does stuff and does it well. His fights both on Geonosis and against Palpatine are quite memorable and are in nice contrast with him sitting on the Council and being a strict jerk. Once you see him in action, you pretty much go "Yeah, well, he sure can back up his tough talk."
    My view, at least.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

That was a badass moment.

Mace was very confident in the Jedi Order and probably in himself. I don't think you see enough of Mace to be able to say whether he is a dis-likable character.

rumsmuggler and minnishe like this.
  20. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    He was just kind of generic and boring.

21. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Mace had a lot of attitude, as in he dealt with problems in a straight up way, no messing, hence the apprehension of Jango Fett and the arrest of Palpatine.

I just feel his character himself is over-rated, possibly due to Sam Jackson in the role and anything he is in is automatically "cult" status approved. He was a bit narky through the series, but had his moments, but so did every other Jedi.

I never felt Mace was anything special except having a chip on his shoulder about Anakin.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    And just to add, I don't really understand this whole "overrated this or that" approach. To me, that phrase just seems to be a flimsy attempt to justify personal dislike of something and present it as a "valid argument."
    If people don't like a certain character, that's quite fine, you're entitled to do that and I am quite sure that that person likes quite a few characters that are "overrated" in eyes of others.
    The argument of "Why do people like So-and-So, he doesn't do anything." can pretty much be applied to almost every character who's not one of the mains or strong supporting characters. Yet I would argue that a wide array of interesting low-profile characters is what gives Star Wars that feeling of a rich, populated, living and breathing universe that we know and love.

MacetheCouncillor and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    No, it is not just you. I only know Mace from the PT and TCW but I always felt he was overbearing. A different kind of jedi to Yoda or Obi Wan. But then again he was sincere. That is good writing in my opinion. You can have a group of people, such as the Jedi, but they have different characters. Some you will like others you will not. That's the variety of life. It also helps explain how the Jedi could be manipulated. They were not robots but had different approaches to dealing with the same situation. It also helps bring out the tension that Anakin had with the Jedi. If he felt excluded then that message came from Mace's treatment of him rather than Yoda for example. The writing did manage to portray the Jedi with different personalities and as such should be given credit for it.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Mace was unique in his own way. Perhaps some of Jackson's own personality creeped into the character, but that's bound to happen.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    This question has two distinct parts really doesn't it? Mace could be a real arse but extremely capable or else a real nice guy and completely incompetent. Personally I don't see anything to suggest that he's any more overrated than any of the other PT Jedi. In fact, I can think of some others who I'd say are decidedly more overrated. Whether Mace is likable is a question of personality taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.