main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My time travel fics involve a lot of bootknocking. What else would you need?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Time travel doesn't necessarily bother me, so long as it's written well. I've used activating a hyperdive within a dimensional rift as a time-travel method, threw a bunch of characters about three thousand years into an alternate future... and then I promptly abandoned the story idea. :p

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm not wild about time travel stories. The paradoxes are bothersome. So, I haven't tried doing one.

I've actually been doing a bit of writing lately -- it just happens to be that ridiculous epic that I've been pecking at and won't post until I get the first draft done. 170+ pages but I'm zeroing in on the ending. Getting there, getting there . . . .:rolleyes:

pronker likes this.
  4. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Time-travel and the endless possibilities of Alternative Universe.

I like both, is one of the themes I find more interesting in stories, books and films. Despite I have some abysmal stories and read others that were works of art.

In time-travel (connections to creating Alternative Universe) i really don't need to be very technically explained, as long as it make sense. The ones time-travel that make sense is first and foremost the Delorean (or as i call it Time travelling with style), but the others that are some what wild theories, but in their respective universes make sense, like Superman being able to rotate earth in the opposite direction; Star Trek 3, in slingshot around the sun; Stargate a sun flare event in the same time you travel through the Stargate; or Star Trek Spock and Nero flying through a wormhole event, to name a few.

As for Alternative Universes, I like when they are extremely changed, which has no resemble on the original events. I don't mind Luke in AU never marrying Mara Jade, or marrying OC or Gaeriel or even Ysanne Isard. That is the beauty of Alternative universes. Pre-definition of characters are no longer what they are in Orinigal Timeline, your free to be original as you wanted. For example Ysanne Isard life would be drastically change if his father was branded a traitor for whatever reason by the Emperor when she was a kid and the Emperor has ordered her entire family executed. She the only who survived and escaped to Tatooine, where she is raised by... for example Owen and Beru Lars and her brother Luke in Tatooine and she fully and openly supports the Rebel cause.

Again Star Trek 1 and 2 were beautifully done in terms of veering and staying away from the original timeline, with only a few names and old Spock for time to time mention the Original Timeline.

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    ardavenport Good luck with the epic! Lots of events, characters ... a spreadsheet helps tremendously keeping track of the timing of things! [face_hypnotized]

6. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Not putting a bloody incest warning in the summary of a fic that features Luke and Leia. And then not even being a terribly good fic to boot.

Juliet316 and Jedi_Lover like this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *wince* To be fair, if they put as part of their paring listings pairs like "Luke/Leia, Sam/Dean Winchester (Supernatural), etc., and I'm a member of the fandom that the fic is in and know their siblings/otherwise family, I can usually figure out that its incest and skip it.

But yeah, it would be nice to have that incest warning for extra insurance, especially at places like FF.net that doesn't have a place for character/pairing listings.

8. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

That's exactly where this was. FFN.

If it's listed as a pairing such as the example you've given, then I completely agree that it would be my fault for clicking.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, admittedly, FF.net doesn't have all that much space in the summary, but incest is such a short word, that it should be easy to just tack it on after the summary. Would save readers who don't want to read from clicking it and author's from being flamed by not indicating it's an incest fic.

10. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

Exactly!

And what's worse, is I left a review for the person suggesting that they add in a warning and they removed the review. Now, admittedly, I did it without logging in so they were well within their right to do that, but seriously? I leave you a polite request to add a warning and you ignore it in favor of the few reviews that you do have that are all "OMG LUKE AND LEAH ARE AWESUM BUT WHT ABOUT HAN?"

Ahem. /rant :p

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *sighs* You'd think somebody would listen to a polite request.

12. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Nah, totally understandable. I have a peeve but its more toward a reviewer in general. I wrote a story (still am) where Luke meets a woman 10 years after Mara's death. Generally anyone but Mara by Shippers I'm aware is not well received. Well, I guess wrote the female in such a way she was...anyway a reviewer who shall remain nameless is like...ewwww old people love (I'm paraphrasing that, but I'm pretty sure the ew was in there).

And I'm thinking, That's all. Out of all you could have commented that's the only you got out of that entire chapter (facepalm).

He eventually stopped reviewing the story. Which I was sort of relieved.

This was after I asked him why he kept reviewing and reading if he knew what the subject matter involved.

I like to challenge my reviewing capabilities, was his response.

(Don't do it on my story please, I'm not some project. )

I'm done.

13. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I can't imagine which reviewer you mean. [face_rofl]

Sorry, I'm not trying to belittle your rant; I do have a guess as to which reviewer that is. That's beyond rude, totally juvenile, and exceptionally narrow-minded. And that's all I'll say before I get sucked into a rant about Mara-only-and-only-Mara people who can't possibly fathom another choice in addition to Mara. ;)

14. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    That's all right. I'm generally a Mara only but...I wanted to challenge myself. I have a L/M story so I try to write different things. Time travel =, romance, mystery, comedy, not all together but some of those have multiple aspects and as usual I'm nuts to be writing all of them. I'm sorta thinking maybe I should stick to one for the time being (shakes head)

Anyway, its not a peeve about fan fic writing in general and more has to do with the reviewer, so I'm aware its off topic, but I think the reviewers are a big part of fan fic writing.

15. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh they absolutely are! I see discussions on this quite often in other forums: about how authors and readers both run the risk of being overly entitled. It's when the line is crossed to absolute entitlement and d-baggery, on either side, is where things get peev-ey, and therefore totally relevant to this thread. :)

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    EmeraldJediFire is it by chance the reviewer that likes harassing me? And even goes as far as harass me while reviewing other people's stories...like "This is much better written than JL could write it."

Really? Why go there?

17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes, Jedi_Lover.

I try not to be snide to be people, I try to be the nicest person ever but...don't go pointing out only flaws dang it. (same reviewer). It's like some people only go around finding the flaws in fan fiction instead of the good parts--and there were plenty!

I know that sounds conceited but I'd like to think my writing is good and that I have jems out there.
    I'm sure you know how it feels when you write a particular part and think..oh that was good..and oh the readers are going to LOVE that part.

It's like people ignore that.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is my pet peeve. People who hate everything about your story, but instead of not reading it they have to review all 40 chapters and tell you how much you suck. o_O

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yep, its like I get it, you hate it. its not to your liking, stop ticking me off by your constant negativity reviews..and that's all after her was getting from said person

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have yet to encounter that problem. It may simply be because I don't write enough for anyone to really notice. That, and I don't use FFN. Though, I doubt even if I put my stuff on FFN, that I'll get any reviews. Oh well.

And why am I still getting plot bunnies for a damn Pokemon RP, while my diary withered and died?! :mad:

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I started out on FFN. it's where I'm most comfortable..I have a niche there. I started writing anime fan fiction and then years ago I was like hmmm Luke deathfic...(yeah my first SW fan fiction and I had to write it about Luke dying (raises brow) go figure)

It was well received though. Plus I was drawing his death largely from what happened in Apocalypse. (it took place years afterward)

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I had someone either here or ff.net tell me that the potential villain was flat. I asked them privately if they had any advice on how to flush them out they never responded or reviewed again.

Friendly advice is always good. I had an idea for the ending of one fic but I altered it and two reviewers mentioned that they hope that something similar to the original plot ending since it will add somethinng to the story.so I am now thinking of the possibilities of a showdown like that. This fic is only on ff.net since there are clones of Jedi of the Jedi Order in the Rebellion and one of the clones was implanted in Leia as a teenager and then she was raped to temporarily hide the truth. I wasn't descriptive but I would rather be safe then sorry.

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yeah, I never get what makes the people at FF.N act in such ways...when you compare it to the Forums here you see vast difference...it's only become clear to me now how much of a difference though. I'm like what is wrong with people..you see more lurker over there. I understand that if its a whole story...I'm not asking you to write a review for every single chapter...that's ridiculous..but If I'm establishing it by chapter..what's to stop you from doing the decent thing.

Or if the story hasn't been updated in awhile and you've read through all the chapter in one sitting. give that person a general overview at least. How rude and unthinking do you have to be?

24. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Nothing annoys me as much as pointless flames actually. It's a waste of time for the 'reviewer' and it does NO GOOD for the author. Some people are just jerks...

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Especially if they are flames that have nothing at all to do with the fic. I once got an anon review on FF.net calling me "A big fat pig." It kind of boggled me.