main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mas Amedda, keeping the Republic bogged down in procedure

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jun 19, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Darth Sidious tells the Trade Federation that he has the Senate bogged down in procedure
    2. Mas Amedda reminded Valorum that a committee needed to be appointed to investigate whether or not the invasion of Naboo was real
    3. Mas Amedda witnesses the Sidious-Yoda duel

From these three facts, I have concluded that Amedda was keeping the Republic bogged down in procedure in order to help Palpatine (or should I say Sidious?) become Galactic Emperor. Any thoughts on this?

No EU please.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's certainly a good possibility. There has to be a reason why he stayed on as Vice Chair after Valorum was voted out and I think it's obvious that he is working for Palpatine to bring down the Republic. He helps to manipulate Jar Jar into calling for Palpatine's emergency powers and he definitely didn't seem too shocked when Yoda called him Darth Sidious.

SlashMan and darklordoftech like this.
  3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If Ric OliƩ were here, he would ask: "What else is there?" :p With what happened on film, you forgot that he referred to the Sith and new Emperor as "Master". He did as he was told, just like every other minion... the charade of procedure was all part of the deception and he played his role perfectly. Dude walked around with a stick that might have a secret Sith Lord on top of it and I don't care if it was called the Speaker's Staff.;) You don't need to include/exclude the EU to know who Mas served, it was all right there.

4. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    It's a difficult one to call, Because as people have pointed out Mas was making critical decisions at critical times like a) The vote of no confidence and b) Telling Jar Jar about granting emergency powers. Mas probably had his suspicions about Palpatine but they were probably just suspicions and nothing more.

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Suspicions? He was a servant of Palpatine... who was with his Master before and after the duel with Yoda.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think the films make it very clear that he is in league with Palpatine.

7. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    In the films you don't get any indication that Mas knows about Palpatine. The vote of no confidence had nothing to do with Palpatine, Yes he said to Padme about it but Mas was probably unaware. Telling Jar Jar about the emergency powers, Palpatine was already pretty much hinting at that. Mas just said the line "If only Senator Amidela was here". So it was probably Palpatine that was doing the most of the manipulating, Mas was probably just going along with it.

I remember reading somewhere (Probably wookipedia or something like that) that Mas's character was very manipulative and that he tried manipulating Valorum, and he then also tried manipulating Palpatine when he was made Supreme Chancellor. I think it would have pointless for him to try that if he knew Palpatine was a Sith Lord.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Remember that this is a non-EU thread. See the title.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    See your first post darklordoftech, the Title has been changed...
    (and you can leave the modding to me, I'll make sure this doesn't get off track.);)

AOTC and ROTS both made it clear that Mas Amedda was in Palpatine's inner circle. While Bail pounds his fist, Mas just waits behind his Master...
    [​IMG]
    Amedda sat in Palpatine's private Box and left like a good pawn after Anakin arrived...
    [​IMG]
    he was there at the declaration of a New Order, [​IMG]
    he was there when a Yoda came to confront Darth Sidious
    [​IMG]
    and he was there when Yoda disappeared.
    [​IMG]

In The Clone Wars: Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy, Mas was in the Chancellor's office when Palpatine said: "there is a disturbance in the force... prepare my shuttle."
    [​IMG]
    Inside and outside of the movies, Mas Amedda is a servant of Darth Sidious and a keeper of his secrets.;)

10. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    He was the Vice chancellor so of course he was in his inner circle, Doesn't mean he knows Palpatine is a Sith. As far as being in Palpatine's office when Yoda arrives they could have just been talking politics, there's no logical reason to assume otherwise, I mean lets be honest they are both Politicians.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Mas Amedda was within earshot of Yoda when he asked if he should call the new Emperor, "Darth Sidious" and Mas replied a short time later with "Yes, Master..." not sir, not Emperor.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Mas didn't know before the Yoda duel, he would have to be silenced.

13. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Why?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He saw Palpatine use force lightning.

15. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    By that time it doesn't really matter, so there's really no point. I mean what's Mas going to do? Tell the senate who's now under the control of Palpatine, or tell the Jedi.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Clone Wars Campaign Guide- we find out that Amedda was one of the ambitious politicians seeking to rule through Palpatine with him as a puppet.
    Over time he got increasingly suspicious of Palpatine's actions and motivations- until, when Jedi Masters come to arrest Palpatine, he realises "what a fool he has been".

So I could see Amedda not knowing until RoTS what Palpatine actually was.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The senate won't stay under Palpatine's control if they find out. Mas could also tell the public.

18. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    The senate probably would not have minded, Most people didn't know what a Sith was. It probably would not have changed there opinion of Palpatine.

My points were too illustrate that in the films there's no indication of Mas knowing if Palpatine is a Sith, Apart from when Yoda fights Palpatine. I thought that Mas left the office as Yoda walked through the door and didn't see the lightning as he was walking through the door with his back turned. I also thought that afterwards he called Palpatine "My Lord". Guess I was wrong about those 2.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Then tell them what a Sith is!

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    By the time of "The Lawless" he was a servant of the Sith and a keeper of Palpatines secrets.

He was so well informed that he knew Palpatine's plans spanned decades.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True- that book was written very early in the TCW series.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Everything non-EU points to Mas being a willing, knowing, Sith collaborator throughout the entire Saga IMO.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's very little non-EU info about Amedda, it must be said.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Amedda might have missed seeing the lightning, but he certainly didn't miss the force-wreck that Yoda hit the red-guards with as he walked in through the door...

[​IMG]
    And Mas was still close enough to hear Yoda call him Darth Sidious, so for me the films make it clear that Amedda was a co-conspirator in the downfall of the Republic. He knew who was in charge and I bet he jumped at the first chance he got to join the team.

IIRC, it was Commander Cody who was the one that said: "It will be done my Lord."

The bigger question for me is, when did the Chagrian join the Sith?

DarthBoba and darklordoftech like this.
  25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes. Palps controlled and played both sides against each other. Mas Amedda was just another puppet in the Senate.