main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Luke not know about Force Lightning until Palpatine hit him with it?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You'd think Ben or Yoda would have mentioned it, seeing as it was a pretty common technique wielded by darksiders in the PT era and before.

Both of them faced it during the clone war era, Obi-Wan facing Dooku's lightning on at least two occasions, and Yoda facing both Dooku's lightning, and later Palpatine's lightning when he fought him in the senate building.

Since it was pretty likely that Luke, in going to confront Darth Vader, might end up confronting Palpatine as well, it would make sense for them to warn him specifically about this power and its possible use against him.

But Luke seemed to be caught completely flatfooted.

"If you will not be turned..." *Palps raises hands slowly into force-lightning attack position* *Luke stares blankly* "...then you will be destroyed!" *Palps starts zapping.*

Luke gives no indication of having anticipated it, despite Palps telegraphing his attack such that anyone, never mind a Jedi, should see it coming.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel he doesn't seem to have heard of it:

Palpatine raised his spidery arms toward Luke: blinding white bolts of energy coruscated from his fingers, shot across the room like sorcerous lightning, and tore through the boy’s insides, looking for ground. The young Jedi was all at once confounded and in agony—he’d never heard of such a power, such a corruption of the Force, let alone experienced it. But if it was Force-generated, it could be Force-repelled. Luke raised his arms to deflect the bolts. Initially, he was successful—the lightning rebounded from his touch, harmlessly into the walls. Soon, though, the shocks came with such speed and power, they coursed over and into him, and he could only shrink before them, convulsed with pain, his knees buckling, his powers at ebb.

Maybe because at that point Lucas imagined it as a very secret technique of Palpatine's.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yoda could've done him a solid and warned him instead of mysteriously saying "do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor."

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was guessing that the prequels made it a much more well known technique.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

Word of advice to movie writers/creators:

Don't put an idea/concept/event/situation into a film just because it would 'look cool' or 'neat' to see on the big screen; there is also the matter of keeping in continuity with your previously established material to consider.

6. Porkins4Ever

Porkins4Ever Jedi Master

Apr 12, 2005
    My guess is that in Yoda's course planner, it was to be taught right after "Standing on head, lifting rocks and visualizing the future" class.....and we know how THAT turned out....

Seriously, Luke had no clue that was coming, and he did kinda get the "Idiot's Guide" to being a Jedi Training....

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No, he probably didn't know about it or he would reacted before getting hit.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Luke was clearly a little overconfident at that moment in time; he threw his lightsaber aside, not expecting any type of resistance from Palpatine. So I'll guess that Luke didn't know the specifics of Force Lightning, but was aware that darksiders could manipulate the Force in ways not taught by the Jedi. Though he forgets his teachings when underestimating Palpatine as an unarmed old man.

Even if he did expect it, I'd assume he'd be overpowered anyways, either with or without his lightsaber. Mace Windu could barely hold off Palpatine's barrage; I doubt Luke could do any better. And as that quote from the novel reveals, his Jedi Force abilities couldn't match a lifetime of dedication to the Dark Side.

Grievousdude and Darth Dnej like this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The unleashing of the force lightning by Palpatine was particularly impressive because up until then he'd not demonstrated any force powers whatsoever. The impression was created that he was almost beyond the run of the mill powers demonstrated by other force users up til that point. When he unleashed it came as a shock and a surprise to the audience, and Luke.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    He used the force earlier to remove Luke's handcuffs. "You will no longer be needing those".

11. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    True. Perhaps better to say that the full might of his power had been concealed, making it all the more impressive when it was revealed!

Force Smuggler and Darth Dnej like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I've always read it differently. I don't think Luke thought he could defeat Palpatine alone and that's why he threw down his sabre. He's basically saying do what you want to me but I'm not turning. Maybe...

Revenge of the Dak likes this.
  13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    probably not

14. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    I took it as, I've done what I was told told to do "defeat Vader" but I know Vader has good in him so I'll sacrifice myself to make Vader show it.

No father can stand by and watch his child destroyed by pure evil.

Darth_Pevra and DarthDuckie like this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Whichever the case, I really don't think Luke threw it down because he thought the Emperor was a pathetic old man and he wouldn't need it. The guy is the master of Darth Vader. He's not to be taken lightly.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Luke definitely had no idea whatsoever about Force Lightning. When the Emperor first hits him, you can see the shock on Luke's face (no pun intended).

17. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The only thing Yoda had to teach Luke is the fact that it's very, very stupid to throw your lightsaber away when you're in front of the Sith.

Atris, BigAl6ft6 and The Hellhammer like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If you watch the PT it makes Luke look like an idiot when Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace can deflect the lightning but Luke doesn't. Also Dooku and Palpatine use it in the PT. It needs to be special. Maybe only in ROTS and then in ROTJ? Or maybe something different and less powerful in ROTS and then bam lightning in ROTJ.

19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well he DID throw his saber halfway across the room. And it certainly doesn't SEEM like he knew force lightning existed. I mean, if he did, he would have been hiding behind something in stead of just standing there as if 'this old dude can't do jack-all to hurt me'.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If you watch the PT first that scene won't match up with the OT. That is a problem.

21. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    I don't agree with that. To me, it's more as if the force lightning pops out and says 'REMEMBER ME, B**CH?' and Luke is like 'NO I NEVER EVEN MET YOU BEFORE WHAT THE HELL."

Problems are in the eye of the beholder.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay it might be a problem in the eye of the beholder but I don't see how it can be explained.
    Not to get into a PT or OT first debate but if you see the lightning in ROTJ first you know its serious business. If you watch PT first and then the OT, its problematic that the PT Jedi can deflect but don't tell Luke. Go with some dark side power but not lightning. Save that for ROTJ.

23. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    I understand your point, and now I'm over-thinking about it myself.

But a story must always follow its path-of-least-resistance toward the end. At that point, Vader needs some leverage to re-join the Light side. to complicate that scene by having Luke deflect the lightning right after laying down arms would weaken the poetry of the whole situation. Sometimes, we fanboys' granular logic must be abandoned for the sake of accepting a better story.

Besides...
    Yoda: "Shoot lightning bolts from their hands, the Emperor can."
    Luke: "Gee thanks, Yoders! I'll keep that in mind for when I stand defiantly in front of the Emperor."
    ...don't really fit anywhere in the script.

While I'm on the subject - RotS probably DID have a bit too much lightning in it. Honestly it had a bit too much of EVERYTHING in it, but only because they thought it was the last time they'd be making Star Wars. I'd never criticize a movie for being too ambitious.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ROTJ novelization, Luke was able to deflect it at first but was eventually overwhelmed. No idea how that would onscreen so I'm thinking of changing the lightning used in the PT. It works fine in the PT by itself but don't make it so easily blockable (okay maybe not easily blockable but solvable) and not bring it up in ROTJ. If Palpatine had used 2-3 different dark sides powers in ROTS and not lightning but brought it into ROTJ Yoda's quote would work imo.

25. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    This, I did not know.

Now I don't know WHAT to believe.