main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Except Battlefront doesn't have a story to continue

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, then i'm stumped

3. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Hopefully DICE/EA delivers, I really want to play through all the big battles of the saga and TCW again with better gameplay, bigger maps, and better graphics.

Anyone else have the feeling that it will release in 2015 right along with Episode VII?

4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I also hope that if there's an Assault mode like there was in Mos Eisley, it's not just a competition to see who can press their mouse button faster.

5. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012

I think they mentioned a late 2014 release, and that they where not planning on any connection to the new movies.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If only you had responded to his point.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TFU had story, and not a bad one until the sequel made the whole thing silly.

1313 I'm sure would have been story-driven given it was meant to have Boba Fett as the main character. But Battlefront is a good start to get fans to side with this whole EA deal, given how many seem to have wanted it to happen for so long.
    Given we got a TCW game, there will probably be a tie-in game for the new Rebels show at some point.

Seems like Battlefront could be out next year, not that hard to produce generic shooter games :p They pretty much just have to do COD with SW troopers, and those games seem to come out every year.

8. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I never really got into Battlefront that much, I guess I like my games focused on Jedi and Lightsabers with a story. Not just a shoot them up in between movies. But I never judge a game until I've played it so I may be pleasantly surprised.

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

Except they said they don't want to do it that way ;)

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    What it was supposed to be was COD in Star Wars, but if it's going to be something greater than I will look forward to it more. It is at least a new SW game to play regardless of whether it turns out to be much the same as the old ones.

11. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I have given up gaming now, but I will be borrowing both Battlefront I and II from a couple of friends this Summer as a tribute to this announcement that we have been waiting for since 2005. It just goes to show how great a series it is considering that someone like me - who won't be purchasing the new Battlefront - is excited about it.

12. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I agree. It just wouldn't be the same if third-person was not the default battle stance. Okay, having a first-person stance is acceptable in Battlefront as long as it isn't default and it is hidden away in the options menu like it was in Battlefront I and II...which is why so many people weren't aware of it, at least not until years after they actually first played the games. Its almost as if the developers were saying, 'Star Wars in third-person is awesome, but some players and traditions will demand that first-person be implemented as well. Okay fine, we'll just shove it in the menu somewhere hoping few people will discover it'. I also like to see my player's armour because it blends you in more with the surrounding troops, whereas if you only see a floating gun then you feel sort of distanced from the other characters/troops in the game.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  13. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    First off, three things:
    1] This will be THE most anticipated Star Wars game of all time ….
    2] This will be one the most anticipated GAMES PERIOD of all time ….
    3] This will supplant “TIE Fighter” in the Star Wars game pantheon as being the GREATEST Star Wars game of all time ….

DICE — Digital Illusions/Creative Entertainment — is among the premier developers in the world.
    They’re right up there with Infinity Ward, Crytek and of course, my favorites, Raven out of Germany.

They specifically requested that Electronic Arts give them a slight respite from
    the “Battlefield” franchise and put them on this.
    Electonic Arts, in turn, understands that with the most beloved gaming franchise ever now in thier stewardship,
    all the eyes of the intertainment buying public are upon them, just waiting for them to, somehow/someway frack it up.

Using this as incentive — as if being responsible for the Star Wars gaming franchise for the forseeable future wasn’t,
    in & of itself incentive enough — EA & DICE will together, as they say, shock the world.
    You’ll see ….

I, for one, look forward to commanding a AT-AT during “The Battle of Hoth” multiplayer!
    Like, pulling down the TV comm thingie from the ceiling, peering into & intoning solemnly:
    “You can begin your preparations for landing, Lord Vader.”
    Gives me chills just thinking about it.

On the other side, ejecting from my shot-out-of-the-sky snowspeeder, running on the ground towards
    the underbelly of a towering AT-AT, rapelling up to the main body & tossing in a
    couple of timed charges also sounds like –*snicker* — a “blast”!

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I would put money on it getting a lower rating than KOTOR, which is still the most acclaimed SW game ever made (and arguably still the best).

15. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Not to get off-topic, but KOTOR's va-ha-hastly overrated.
    While "TIE Fighter", on the other hand, is [still] universally recognized as the greatest SW game ever.
    That is, until DICE's take on SWBF is released.

And to those wondering -- of course this isn't coming out until the movie! lol

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The 2 things that scare me most about this are letters: E and A

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You seem to state a lot of things as fact that are not.

18. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Oh yeah?!?
    Well you seem to -- ... to ....
    Ahh, I got nothin'.

Back on topic: this game absolutely will succeed -- despite Electronic Arts's best efforts to the contrary.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  19. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I'd put a hold on your enthusiasm there, iPad. There is no game that EA would be incapable of screwing up, and the more excited you are the more it hurts when they do.

Oh, and the odds of BF3 being better than TIE Fighter or KOTOR are, IMO, next to zero. Both games had the holy combination of great gameplay and great story going for them. BF3 will struggle with that second one.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It might make more money than any other Star Wars game, but that doesn't mean it will be better.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We will get to play the battles in the movie. It will be good.

22. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Oh?
    And what, exactly, makes you say that?

23. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005

Because I am making what I consider a fairly safe assumption that BF3 will follow in the footsteps of 1 and 2, both of which had bare-bones excuse plots that barely qualify as a story at all. Now, I don't hold that against them, as not every game must have a strong story to be a good game. However, a strong story can and has pushed good games up that extra notch to become great games. BF3 might surprise me, of course, but given the history of the franchise and the company we're dealing with, I don't think that it's single-player mode will come anywhere close to the awesomeness of working alongside Admiral Thrawn against a rogue Imperial admiral, or redeeming the Dark Lord of the Sith and saving the galaxy from his mad apprentice and the ancient superweapon he commands.

24. iPadCary

iPadCary Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, maybe you missed it, but Electronic Arts is on record all over the place stating that DICE is asserting
    that thier goal is to make nothing less than a SW game like no other.

And although this is a Battlefront game -- the thrust of which is reliving historic canonic conflicts -- I absolutely see DICE
    writing a script that will create new, never-before-seen skirmishes in which
    Yavin/Hoth/Endor/etc. will in some way revolve around.

This, my padawan friend, will be the be-all, end-all of Star Wars interactive entertainment.
    You'll see.

On a somewhat light technical note, in space, there isn't a lot of enviornment to draw.
    That means all that much more graphic & physics chrome to throw at the ships.
    It will be .... unbelievably glorious.

25. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    No, I didn't miss it. But having a good studio making the game didn't stop EA from making BioWare screw ME3 up.

And how many times have I heard that last statement? An X game like no other? Y'know how many times it's turned out to be true? If I had a penny for both, the first would have made me a millionaire by now, the latter I'd be begging on the street.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound more negative than I really am here. I am excited about this game, and I am looking forward to it, but past experience has taught me to keep both to a realistic level. Lessens the sting if the end product turns out to be a bust.