main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    Avengers 2
    Jurassic Park 4
    Justice League
    World of Warcraft
    Assassin's Creed
    Ratchet and Clank
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2
    Finding Dory
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    Mission Impossible 5
    Ant-Man

We are going to be broke.

Am worried about Star Wars competing against all-or even some-of these movies though, as a lot are tried and true successful franchises. I do not know if they are going to be out in 2015 or not, but other possibilities to this list are Austin Powers 4, Diehard 6 n' Dumb and Dumber To (2).

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    wut?

I love CTHD, and as the "first date" movie with the woman who became my wife, it has a warm place in my heart. But there is no place for a sequel to this story. I call shenanigans.

eht13 likes this.
  3. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I'm looking now. Justice League and Avengers 2 are the only serious threats to star wars. pirates 5 is a joke. At any rate, they should move avengers. star wars fans do not like the films released at any times other than may.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I honestly have my doubts about that Justice League movie.
    Dunno why, just a gut feeling it won't be anything special.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Spielberg and Jackson are alternating Producer/Director credits for each film. Spielberg directed Secret of the Unicorn and Jackson had to finish the Hobbit before directing the sequel. It's due in December 2015.

6. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    As long as I get me a good Star Wars movie I'm happy regardless of the box office. Plus its damn near impossible for ANY movie to get traction like they used to in the 70's, 80's or 90's even. This summer has been one event film after another and usually before the fall they are already on BluRay/DVD which is where most films recoup their profit anyway. Couple that with internet pirating, the cost of going to a movie, etc. then box office numbers are really not good gauges of the movies quality. I still don't understand how Avatar made so much despite thinking it was an OK movie.

I remember back in the 80's it seemed like Empire and Jedi were in the theater for over a year and the home versions of movies like E.T. took even longer to come out. This generation of movie goers has A.D.D. because there is simply to much choice. You see every film in the summer open huge then drop off 50-60% the next week as the new movies roll in. And 2015 is shaping up to be an epic year. I think the only movie I will see more than twice is Star Wars, everything else minus the Avengers 2 will be a Sunday Matinee. Both the Avengers and Star Wars are definite midnight films for me.

I think the older folks here can honestly say that compared to just a few decades ago, we are living in great times as far as films are concerned. My only concern now is oversaturation of comic book/geek films and backlash but I see no end in sight so far.

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, as much as I hate the prospect of a Yuen Woo-Ping-directed CTHD2 (I love his choreography and some early direction attempts - like Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master - but he does not have the directing skills to follow Ang Lee), the story is not concluded. CTHD was based on the third (I think) novel in a pentology, so there are actually two novels that take place after what we saw in the movie.

8. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Exactly my thoughts. If we had more news we probably wouldn't even be talking about this.

In today movie terms I think box office hits mean nothing other that a few guys' pockets getting heavier. It doesn't even transcend to the level of "phenomenon" Star Wars obtained by achieving this kind of success back in the day. For example, Transformer movies made a killing and boy do they suck.

In addition to that, big sci fi movies are not personal projects anymore, they are reboots, remakes and animated seizure inducing visual extravaganzas where the story sits in the back. Actually, in the eyes of Disney executives this film is probably perceived as a reboot, a sure thing.

But other thing I do sense is a feeling of "getting it right". I'm psyched about Arndt and Abrams, it's a good direction to take. This isn't a reboot penned down by 12 writers with an unknown director. The guys in charge are just like us, oh and they know how to make good movies.

How much richer is it going to make Disney?? I couldn't care less. Box office is no longer synonymous with phenomenon, quality or cultural impact.

eht13, Dranem and The Hellhammer like this.
  9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'll just add to that post that even from a perspective of monetary gain, a good, quality product is going to earn quite a bit more in the long than a crappy momentary fad and/or cash grab.

10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I've said this before and I shall say it again: Justice League is no longer on track for 2015. They just hired the Dark Knight Trilogy/ Man Of Steel co-writer to write a totally new script. It's impossible to get a movie out in less than two years if they're still in the writing stages.

11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    popeye 3 d

smurfs 3

12. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    there was a smurfs 2?

13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    sadly, yes

14. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Next Bond movie with Sam Mendes at the helm may be out in winter 2015.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Pfft....directing The Hobbit trilogy is no excuse. :p

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How? Luke's old, Vader's dead, etc.

17. Athiest_knight

Athiest_knight Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Transformer 4?
    Terminator
    Fast & Furious 13?
    Seth Rogan movie

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Competition? LOL HS

I'm sorry, this is my opinion, but ID4 was a mediocre film at best. To have a sequel to it is ludircous and poses no threat to SW. Avengers 2 is being set-up for failure IMO. Yes, I liked the first one but from what I've read of Marvel's plans for Phase 2 I think it's possible we might not even see RD jr as Iron Man. and frankly, he made the first one rock.

SW Episode 7 will own -- O W N -- 2015.

19. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    RD Jr is returning for Avengers 2 and 3. They just confirmed it.

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *cough cough* http://marvel.com/news/story/20786/robert_downey_jr_to_return_as_marvels_iron_man

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Sorry. The last article I read after IM 3 came out said he was thinking about retiring from IM. If he's back it will help but don't expect a duplicate of the first Avengers. People always do.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Those are some big movies (ID4-2... Seriously?? I have a strange love for that movie but it does NOT need a sequel).
    I'm excited for Assassins Creed and Avengers 2, but other than that, I'll probably wait on most of those that have been listed.

I think a few of them may give E7 a run, but it's hard to tell at this point. I do think E7 will certainly be one of the top for the year.

alex feola likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Many of these others will do very well, no doubt. But I frankly don't see any way that SW E7 will not easily come out on top. At any rate, one sure winner will be Disney.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Will VII be more, less, or equally hyped as TPM was?

Episode Swag likes this.
  25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    It seems the main war will be between Avengers 2 and Episode 7. One owned by Disney, the other owned by.... Disney.

Two opposing forces, both controlled by the same puppet master? Where have I seen this before....

Sarge, Episode Swag, eht13 and 4 others like this.